Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-14-2013, 12:02 AM   #91
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dave Ramsey Support Thread ~ Jan 7 - Jan 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Catalina View Post
Congrats on your 4.0! And because I'm not American, is financial aid a student loan, or something else, like a grant?
Financial Aid can include grants, student loans and work study (where you can work on campus).
=)

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 04:21 AM   #92
lakemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassmartinez View Post
My washing machine has been leaking a little and I just wash clothes, clean up the mess and go on with my life, today it flooded..I guess it's done for and I don't have money for a new one...back to carting laundry to a friends or laundromat for a while...so bummed
My front loader did this last year and it was a hose on the bottom. My 18yo ds troubleshot it, looked up the part, and fixed it for me because my dh was out of town that week. I'll bet if its something similar even with paying a repair person it should be less than $100 for the fix. THIS is why DR says to get your $1,000 baby emergency fund in place. Hang in there....explore your options....and all will work out in the end.
lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:38 AM   #93
cassmartinez
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks guys for the suggestion, I actually was thinking about that when I went to bed. DH won't be here for a couple of months but I can be handy when I want to be. I'm going to try to take it apart and see if I see anything fixable and then google ordering the part. It's an older machine and just like old cars, usually they can be fixed. I was just so upset and frustrated yesterday. Thanks again.
cassmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #94
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
Slimy- That would be awesome!

So I was just reading an article about how to save money for a home and where to get your 20% down. This guy said to borrow from your 401k and I nearly choked. o_O Not once did he suggest taking odd jobs or doing without other things.
My co-worker bought a house last month. In order to borrow from his 401k for the down payment on this house, he first had to pay back his PREVIOUS 401k loan. I tried to explain why that maybe wasn't the best move, but he wasn't interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassmartinez View Post
Wow, wrote down the debt just now...I've just been blindly guesstimate...It's WAY more than I thought. Geesh
But at least you know. I like to watch the Suze Orman show, and she is always telling people to stand in your truth. You will never get out of debt and into a better place until you force yourself to see where you are right now and decide you want to be somewhere else.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #95
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

if I were to get a big sum of money, what is the right place to "spend" it. put it in a retirement fund (cause we have none), pay towards my home (it would only put a small dent in it and if we sell we could lose that money) or use it elsewhere? it wont be for a few yrs that I would even see this but trying to make a plan now. we dont have other debt other than a car and my home. car should be paid off prior to this settlement.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #96
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
Financial Aid can include grants, student loans and work study (where you can work on campus).
=)
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
if I were to get a big sum of money, what is the right place to "spend" it. put it in a retirement fund (cause we have none), pay towards my home (it would only put a small dent in it and if we sell we could lose that money) or use it elsewhere? it wont be for a few yrs that I would even see this but trying to make a plan now. we dont have other debt other than a car and my home. car should be paid off prior to this settlement.
Off the top of my head... Do you anticipate having a FFEF/3-6mths expenses by then? If not, depending on the sum, I'd complete that first, then put the rest in retirement, but I don't know if there are other options that could be tax free or what have you.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #97
Reuben Christopher
Registered Users
Formerly: unbreakableangel
seller

My Mood:

Have to spend $30 I wasn't planning on but gotta do it. We are trying to go to 2 week meal planning and do one store twice a month and the other store once a week for fresh stuff. Kind of tricky with weekly paychecks though.
ISO/IHA!
Reuben Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #98
drabekgirl
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
an ira, that's what I do as a SAHM I don't really have a 401k option but when I get money that's not budgeted I put it towards retirement.
drabekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #99
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yes we have a decent savings now so thats covered. i figured a 401K would be the best option. will dot hat then thank you!