Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #21
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hi girls. I haven't been checking in. I went on a trip a couple months ago, and my iPhone went missing in the airport my husband was due for an upgrade anyway, so on Black Friday we got him a steal and I took over his old phone, which I hate. But I'm proud of myself for not buying a new one, and when we get to Italy I have already decided not to have a cell phone or only have a really basic talk/text only phone. I have an iPad, so any cool apps I can just use on that, I certainly don't need two devices fr the same thing lol. DH will need a cell, but we'll do a basic phone for him too.

We've fallen off the wagon, so we need to get back on. At Thanksgiving, we had $500 bef, about $500 saved in various envelopes (birthdays, anniversary, clothing, etc), and 1 cc paid off with the second being worked on. Then a week r two later, Our car was broken into, and all of our envelopes were stolen (I hadn't realized they were even in the car until charges were made using the emergency credit card that was stored with them; normally they weren't left in there obviously, but OF COURSE the one time I forget them, they get stolen). I sincerely lost all motivation with that event, and we slowly drained most of our bef and charged "little" purchases on the main cc for the first time ever (the one tat had been paid off :headbang. Normally we just used it for bill paying to earn rewards, and paid it off completely before interest accrued. I'm an emotional spender (which is the exact reason I don't have a credit card), but my husband never says no to anything I want, so he wasn't fighting me on any purchases and swiped his without a question. Sigh. So we are needing to start a step 1 again as soon as we know when/if we are moving. Luckily, our tax return isn't earmarked for anything besides a new couch, which we desperately needed about 2 years ago (springs are poking out the back, half of it is sunken in, and one of the cushion covers is ripped and has a broken zipper), so hopefully we can quickly move on to step 2, with both cc paid off and a sizable payment made to my student loan as well. I've heard that taxes go up so returns will be down, so I'm not expecting the same amount as last year. I have no idea what to expect, so I'm trying to think about half of what we got last year, and anything more is just icing on the cake.

Advertisement

~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #22
frugalmomof2
Registered Users

Re: Dave Ramsey Support Thread ~ Jan 7 - Jan 13

Goodness Marianna, I couldn't imagine how defeated you must have felt when your car was broken into. I imagine it's even more heartbreaking when you have worked extra hard to get that bef in place. Kudos to you though for coming back. We're here with you for the long haul!
frugalmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #23
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am having common sense failure. I don't know what the heck is going on with me.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #24
drabekgirl
Registered Users

Slimy I also think that we might be doing the pantry challenge longer than the 1 month. Course, I usually do base the menu on what we have on hand already. But things are still not diminishing nearly as quickly as I'd like. Yesterday, I went through and pulled almost a full box of non-perishable food items for my lit bro all are vegetarian which he (except he is OK to eating meat but not often and his SO eats venison) is and you can hardly see the difference.

Dh has been working a lot of over time so we can pay the bills and live on cash this month. I've barely seen him, this morning his alarm went off at 2am, but its his early day off so he will pick the boys up from school. Still that's an 11 hour day!

I contacted the local special Olympic swim team and let them know that I am willing to guard every other week day of the week. that should give us an extra $150 or so.

The one contractor is getting back to us today with the estimate for our basement finishing.
drabekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #25
redsonja
Registered Users
seller

Oh my goodness Marianna I am so sorry!!!!! It's just like that too, you finally get to a good place and BAM, bad hits. It's totally not fair. Exciting about Italy though!! I'm in Germany and have been having a great time, I hope you love Italy!

AFM: I clearly need to up the grocery budget. $275 a pay period just isn't cutting it. We're always running out of essentials far too early and then there's no money to buy more. I do NOT want to up the grocery budget but I have to. Food is just really expensive here. I went a smidge over budget on dh's birthday. I hate that his bday is right freaking after Christmas because it's just sucky budget wise, so I "borrowed" from savings to buy his gift. Really bad on my part. But I made him a meal of his choice (yay for friend chicken being his choice, super cheap!) and a homemade cheesecake. It was so delish!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #26
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm.... that is a good idea. My birthday is tomorrow. Usually dh takes me out for dinner and I buy a cheese cake at sam's club for my birthday cake. We started this tradition years ago because he can't cook and although I always cook him his favorite foods for his Bday, I didn't really appreciate having to cook my own Bday dinner and making my own cake. But maybe I need to this year. Dh is already bugging me to pin down where I want to eat, but I can't seem to pick somewhere. Maybe I should just cook something at home this year. IDK, we did budget for it, but it just seems like anywhere I actually want to eat is to expensive for me to justify when we're trying so hard to have a very low spend month. I guess I'll talk with DH and see what he says.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #27
IsaacsMom2009
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmomof2 View Post
I am deliriously happy right now! I was on Swagbucks trying to hit daily goal and grabbed a car insurance offer. We pay $100.xx per month for 1 full coverage vehicle and 1 liability vehicle. I have compared quote after quote and never (ever!) find anything lower.

Until today!!! We now have a policy through esurance (an Allstate company) for $38 per month. That's right, same exact coverage. $38 per month. I'm so excited. $62 saved! A year ago we were paying $155 a month for auto insurance. I looked everywhere, switched to a company for $100 per month for both back in July. And now I pay less than $40

I'm savings $744 over the next year. That's just huge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
We raised our deductibles and switched companies, lowering DH's insurance from $130 to $83 per month.
Great job on the insurance, ladies

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
I am having common sense failure. I don't know what the heck is going on with me.
It happens to everyone Just keep moving forward and make an effort to do better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
Hmmm.... that is a good idea. My birthday is tomorrow. Usually dh takes me out for dinner and I buy a cheese cake at sam's club for my birthday cake. We started this tradition years ago because he can't cook and although I always cook him his favorite foods for his Bday, I didn't really appreciate having to cook my own Bday dinner and making my own cake. But maybe I need to this year. Dh is already bugging me to pin down where I want to eat, but I can't seem to pick somewhere. Maybe I should just cook something at home this year. IDK, we did budget for it, but it just seems like anywhere I actually want to eat is to expensive for me to justify when we're trying so hard to have a very low spend month. I guess I'll talk with DH and see what he says.
Is there anywhere from Restaurants.com that would work for you? I know that site doesn't work well for some, if they are too rural, but it's worth a shot to see if you can get a coupon for a couple bucks that could possibly cut your dinner bill in half.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #28
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna1988 View Post
We've fallen off the wagon, so we need to get back on. At Thanksgiving, we had $500 bef, about $500 saved in various envelopes (birthdays, anniversary, clothing, etc), and 1 cc paid off with the second being worked on. Then a week r two later, Our car was broken into, and all of our envelopes were stolen (I hadn't realized they were even in the car until charges were made using the emergency credit card that was stored with them; normally they weren't left in there obviously, but OF COURSE the one time I forget them, they get stolen).
This is what scares me so much about envelopes. I really like the IDEA of having separate envelopes for each budget category, but I hate carrying around cash. And even just keeping it all in the house scares me.

Well, DH has started another new job. Hoping this is the one that sticks! The last three years have been a constant round of moving from one job to the next, and that is getting really old. So far, this one seems pretty decent and his boss seems to think he is doing a decent job. Keeping my fingers crossed! We're going to start doing some blow money again, so DH won't be able to put his lunch at Taco Bell on the cc and say "But I didn't have any money so I had to put it on the card!" Getting back on a budget, starting to get some money set aside for a replacement car for DH, and getting a start on a FFEF. Hoping that 2013 is the year that we get all our finances in order, without all the emergencies of last year!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #29
deezee02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72
I think red robin does something free for your birthday...might be worth checking out.

I really want the new 31 wall organizer, it is exactly what I am looking for! Unfortunately, it is $$ ... Thinking of hosting so I can get it cheaper (but not sure how that works with them).

I also need a way to organize dd's hair stuff...cheap, easy to do and keep and still looks nice. Any ideas? I already have a frame holder...but she has a ton and headbands, spray, ties and combs.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #30
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Going to check out restraunts.com now, I also have a $20 GC to a steak house I was given at Christmas so we could go there and that would cut the bill in a little less than half.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote