Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
How do you work in stock-piling?

Is it a separate budgeted amount, or part of your groceries? Like if I budget $140/week, but the actual groceries are only $100, then I get $40 toward my stockpile??

Advertisement

Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you work in stock-piling?

That makes sense to me, and then eventually it could be part of your regular budget once you have the main stockpile and eat the older food in rotation in your regular meals. If that makes sense.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
new_mommy78
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a fairly large stockpile so now I just plan meals around what I have and then stock up on things that are on sale that week. For example, last week I bought 40 boxes of special k cereal to replenish our supply and I only had to buy milk and fresh produce for my meal plan. I just try and find the one or two items that are on a great sale that week and stock up. Building a stockpile takes time but you will be so happy you did it!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would put a certain amount to Stockpiling like $50 a month for 6 months. Stockpiled food should be staples or things that have long shelf lives. You should always check expiration dates when buying. You should make sure you have a way to store them properly (Canning jars work great for beans, rice, flour and other dry goods. It prevents bugs, rodents, and moisture from effecting the food. Plastic bags that beans and rice come in often have small pin holes so it is better to be safe than sorry. Always date and label.)
Try to combine sales with coupons when stockpiling. (Couponmom.com is a great free site that will do the work for you! You have to sign up but it is free and they never send me spam.) CVS (if you have on near you) is great for stockpiling paper and hygiene products. My Dollar Tree accepts coupons so you can get a great deal if you find brand name items there. (I found Cascade Pride cereal and they had a coupon attached to the box for $1 off 2! I bought all the store had. 10 or 12 boxes for 50 cents each! That is about what I would have spent for 2 or 3 boxes of cereal that were on my list of things to buy anyway.)
Once you have a nice stockpile... make sure the oldest is in the front. When you put food away, it goes behind the old stuff. This will help you to rotate and not have waste. (You then meal plan around items that are going to expire) When you use something, add to the list of things to buy next shopping trip.
Don't buy massive amounts random junk that you have no clue how to cook or don't want to eat. (unless it is free! Buy it and give it away.)

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #5
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would say $40 a weekly would work out well. In the beginning you really need a set amount. After about 6 months or so you can really work on just buying whats on sale and stocking up big time on it and generally you have a feel for what your family actually uses anyways. I know some people view stock piles as "wasteful" however, as long as you pay attention to what you HAVE, meal plan around it, and use what you have you will be fine. I firmly believe that a well stocked pantry is the backbone to a frugal meal/grocery budget. I still shop weekly for fresh vegetables (if my garden isn't producing) or if I don't have it canned (even then sometimes I really just want some FRESH stuff). We could really get by on $50 every TWO weeks for 3 people but that would be thanks to my stockpile
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

right now we can only set aside $10 a week for stock pile, we'd like to set aside more. Since we budget monthly for groceries (mainly because I only shop Sams once a month and that is where I buy my meat for the month) I don;t have a weekly grocery budget just a monthly. I try to save any extra grocery money to cover any overages later in the month. I never end up with any extra at the end of the month. I am going back to weekly budget though. I can't seem to find a good balance with the monthly. Just have to figure out how to work Sams into that. I need to get a month ahead. If we have have overages at the end of the month than it will go to stockpile.

But if we need something I buy it in bulk out of regular grocery money so I am kind of using regular grocery money to stockpile.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
drabekgirl
Registered Users

I also have a large stockpile so it comes out of the regular grocery money now. Their are months like November when baking items (flour and butter) and turkeys come on sale that I know the food budget will be high. And during strawberry jam caning time sugar is always on sale and I know a 50lb bag will get me through almost an entire year. while I need 150lbs of flour for a year. I also know a 50lb bag of oatmeal will last a year (well ok but it doesn't all fit in my storage so I give 10lb or more away to MIL). I know if I can a full shelf of beans it will last 2 years. I do the same thing when I can apples, peaches and pears I do enough to last 2 years. I buy caned pineapple when its on sale and stock that up b/c we like it on our bbq chicken pizza (Hawaiian style). It does takes time to figure out how long each item lasts for your house. If you have the same things each month/week you know how many you need to last you until it goes on sale again or for a full year. However if you just start by getting basics that helps too.
drabekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
Ducko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

In the beginning I had a set amount each month. I think it was $50. However, it's been years since I started. Now, I only normally need to buy fresh produce and eggs/milk then the rest is for replenishing the stockpile. I would like a bigger freezer so it would last longer. Like butter or cheese. I don't have enough room for storing some items that I would love to just get a 6-12 month supply.

Oh, yes and I find November and June to be my biggest grocery months.

At previous poster: My dh thought I was nuts to bring home 24 boxes of Special K last week. Have to inform him I'm not the only crazy one. Yes, he really had a hard time even after years of stockpiling seeing it come into the house. He does however like it once it's here.

Wife to Eric. SAHM to Gray (6/08) and Seth (4/10)
Ducko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #9
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_mommy78 View Post
I have a fairly large stockpile so now I just plan meals around what I have and then stock up on things that are on sale that week. For example, last week I bought 40 boxes of special k cereal to replenish our supply and I only had to buy milk and fresh produce for my meal plan. I just try and find the one or two items that are on a great sale that week and stock up. Building a stockpile takes time but you will be so happy you did it!
That's pretty much what I do. I just budget my grocery money but it streches farther since I only buy stuff that is a great price and don't have to buy much at regular price any more. But when we started, we started slow and just budgeted a higher amount for groceries for a while.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote