Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
mrsbartram
Registered Users
seller

How to tell in-home daycare provider we're leaving?

We cannot afford to send our kids to daycare any longer. My parents are going to start watching our kids for us for free, which is wonderful, but I'm slightly panicky about leaving our daycare. It's an in home daycare and I have never had one single issue in the entire time my 2.5 and 10 month old have gone there. The lady is wonderful, I cannot say enough about her. I'm going to give her a months notice, but I'm dreading telling her. What if she doesn't have kids that can take their spots, then she'll be out a ton of money each month. What if I'm doing the wrong thing for my child?

My mom was a teacher and both of of my parents are wonderful grandparents. They've said that they'll follow any curriculum I want and respect my wished 100%.

Has anyone else gone through this? How have your kids reacted? How did you tell your provider?

Thanks!

Advertisement

mrsbartram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
Steph Ed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to tell in-home daycare provider we're leaving?

There is nothing you can do. I've had wonderful caretakers for my children as well, and I know how you feel. But, if she is as wonderful as you say, she will understand completely. She would want what is best for your family as well. Also, don't forget, this day has to come sooner or later...it's inevitable! The kids will be fine, you will be fine, and the caretaker will be fine. You can only be responsible for your household's finances, don't worry about her's....plus a month is PLENTY of time for her to find replacements.
Steph Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Kids come and go from daycares, a month's notice seems really good (we don't do regular daycare so I don't know what the norm is...). I would just explain that your parents are now able to watch your kids for free so you guys can save a ton of money, and that you have been incredibly happy with her care of your children and will recommend her to anyone who is looking for care in that area or asks about her. Maybe offer to be a good reference for her to give out to inquiring people.

I would think any rational person would understand the financial side of things! Daycare is expensive.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:

It is hard, but daycare providers are used to it and understand that you must do what is best for your family. Ask that she use you as a reference and you could maybe even type up a glowing letter of recommendation that she could give to prospective families.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

We just left our in-home daycare. I wasn't happy with some things that I felt were minor and then there were a couple of larger things that came up and we decided to move them to a daycare center after the Christmas break. We gave 3 weeks notice and were required (per the contract) to give written notice. So, the day we were turning in our notice I told her we were leaving and gave her the letter.

We didn't want to 'burn any bridges' in case maybe we'd made the wrong decision, etc so we fibbed a little on why we were leaving. We said it was due to her hours (7am vs 6:30 at center) where I was having to take time off from work to drop them off when DH is out of town, and also the last minute notice on closures and schedule changes. Those things all factored into our decision but overall the reason we left is we weren't happy with the care she was providing.

The day I told her she was fine, but did want to question me a lot (basically wanting me to tell her what she'd done wrong). Then there was the awkward 3 weeks where it seemed like she didn't speak to us. On the last day she cried when we were leaving.

Overall it was ok. I wish DH would have done the dirty work for me though!
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

We just left our in-home daycare. I wasn't happy with some things that I felt were minor and then there were a couple of larger things that came up and we decided to move them to a daycare center after the Christmas break. We gave 3 weeks notice and were required (per the contract) to give written notice. So, the day we were turning in our notice I told her we were leaving and gave her the letter.

We didn't want to 'burn any bridges' in case maybe we'd made the wrong decision, etc so we fibbed a little on why we were leaving. We said it was due to her hours (7am vs 6:30 at center) where I was having to take time off from work to drop them off when DH is out of town, and also the last minute notice on closures and schedule changes. Those things all factored into our decision but overall the reason we left is we weren't happy with the care she was providing.

The day I told her she was fine, but did want to question me a lot (basically wanting me to tell her what she'd done wrong). Then there was the awkward 3 weeks where it seemed like she didn't speak to us. On the last day she cried when we were leaving.

Overall it was ok. I wish DH would have done the dirty work for me though!
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I had in home gal in small town. It is hard but if you wanted you could try to help find someone to replace you. Just be honest with her.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
WannaBeGreen2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor
Kids come and go from daycares, a month's notice seems really good (we don't do regular daycare so I don't know what the norm is...). I would just explain that your parents are now able to watch your kids for free so you guys can save a ton of money, and that you have been incredibly happy with her care of your children and will recommend her to anyone who is looking for care in that area or asks about her. Maybe offer to be a good reference for her to give out to inquiring people.

I would think any rational person would understand the financial side of things! Daycare is expensive.
Yep! ITA!

From my iPhone, probably while BF'ing.
WannaBeGreen2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
As a daycare provider I would prefer as much notice as possible and honesty. Explaining that its a financial issue and your parents will be taking them will be better than her wondering if its something she did. My last mom gave me 2wks notice and I kinda wonder if she knew for longer but didn't tell me until the 2wks I required. She's since referred people to me so I know it wasn't the level of care although I wasn't 100% sure at first because she was very helicopterish and overbearing at times.

Just be honest, thank her, offer to be used at a reference and send her pics from time to time!
Old 01-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

We had to leave an awesome provider for financial reasons and I laid it all out for her and explained that it was all about money for us. She was really understanding and will still babysit for me on an as needed basis.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote