Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #1
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
It is 7am and our 16 pound kid was walking around the bedroom. Not screaming or crying. Not dropping things or falling a bunch. Just walking around the room picking up socks and petting the dog. Hubby and I were getting out of bed and watching him. He was doing this for less than 15 minutes when our downstairs neighbors banged the ceiling ten times because, apparently, his footsteps are disturbing their sleep.

Screw you! I'm not going to stop my toddler from WALKING in the morning at a decent hour just because you dislike the patter of little feet! We put down an area rug, we don't give him any hard toys or things he could drop, we don't let him cry in there because we know their bedroom is below ours. But if they think I'm going to kick him out of our room the second he wakes up (after 7, and these childless people aren't flight attendants or anything, they work 9 to 5 like we do) and we will get dressed and showered separately just for them then they have another think coming!

Advertisement

Last edited by Palooka; 01-10-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #2
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: I hate our neighbors!!!

I would hate to live in an apt for this very reason. It would stress me out.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #3
Angel89411
Banned

One of the reasons I am thankful I have a legit medical need for a 1st floor apartment. When I was pregnant with ds1, DH was putting together a book shelf at 5pm. The woman below us started banging on the ceiling and yelling about how we needed to stop making so much noise because she haskids. I smiled at DH and told him she was gonna love us in a few months (when baby is due). Some people....
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
Rewind_Selector
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a ground floor apartment. My upstairs neighbors have kids who run, jump and bang. I barely even register the noise. I have never banged the ceiling or asked them to keep it down. I have kids too and would hate to have to watch every step we make.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I lived above my landlord at my last place. THey were childless. They could not stand the constant clatter of multiple children playing. I loved that place but they did not renew our lease due to the kids. I would have stomped on the floor after they banged. But I am mean that way.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #6
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It sucks! But that is the way most apts are. When we lived in one, it sounded like elephants were running around( not reaching here), and it was just two adults. I was so upset because it DID wake up the baby at times. My dh went up there and they politely talked about it and they said they were not stomping around.they invited my dh to walk across the floor while I stayed downstairs. He said he was softly walking an it sounded like he was stomping. Them he stomped, and it sounded like he was going to come through the ceiling.
Anyway the point I am trying to make is that it may really sound like you are having a party up there. Invite them to see for themselves so they will realize there Is NOTHING you can do, and you are not waking them up on purpose.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
I lived above my landlord at my last place. THey were childless. They could not stand the constant clatter of multiple children playing. I loved that place but they did not renew our lease due to the kids. I would have stomped on the floor after they banged. But I am mean that way.
Lol, yeah, actually I did. I was so mad because he wasn't doing anything wrong! He wasn't running, jumping, dropping stuff, nothing. He was just walking happily around the room! So I stomped twice on the floor in response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmonkeysmommy1 View Post
It sucks! But that is the way most apts are. When we lived in one, it sounded like elephants were running around( not reaching here), and it was just two adults. I was so upset because it DID wake up the baby at times. My dh went up there and they politely talked about it and they said they were not stomping around.they invited my dh to walk across the floor while I stayed downstairs. He said he was softly walking an it sounded like he was stomping. Them he stomped, and it sounded like he was going to come through the ceiling.
Anyway the point I am trying to make is that it may really sound like you are having a party up there. Invite them to see for themselves so they will realize there Is NOTHING you can do, and you are not waking them up on purpose.
So after I stomped the guy came up to our door, which is actually why I stomped. The couple other times that they have banged on our floor and I've just gone down to talk to them they haven't even answered their door. But I guess my stomping back made them mad enough to want to see a face. Hubby answered the door and the conversation went something like this:
Neighbor, "We are trying to sleep and we hear all those footsteps!"
Hubby, "Yeah the building has really thin floors huh."
Neighbor, "Well, yeah! So it wakes us up!"
Hubby, "Yeah it's terrible construction when you can hear a baby walking on a rug. That sucks."
Neighbor, "So what are you going to do about it!?"
Hubby, "I don't think I can change the building."
Neighbor walks away in a huff.

These people know we aren't doing anything to be loud. They just hate us because we are the only renters in an all-owner condo building. They've even said that they own their home and have X rights and we don't. They resent that people with a kid moved in above them and they don't care whether or not we are trying to be quiet (which we are!). I'm sorry that they bought their crummy 1st floor condo at the height of the market in a neighborhood that didn't turn around like they thought it would (our identical 2nd floor apartment wasn't selling for 100k less than the owners paid 4 years ago, which is why they decided to rent it out). But I'm not going to keep my baby from walking in our home! And honestly they will probably be wishing we'd come back after we move out, because finding another small, quiet family to rent this place will be hard. I'd bet money the next people to move in will have more and older kids and they won't be half as considerate as we are.

Last edited by Palooka; 01-10-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's the same where I live. We are side to side here though, and if my kids make too much noise "according to them" they bang the walls. But, it's ok for them to play rock and roll and have that pounding through the walls? I wish people could understand that appartment living is give and take. We have 4 kids and they make noise. It's not loud noise indoors (I don't allow it), but they have a fit nevertheless.

I can't wait to move. I bet they would freak if they knew I was preggo with #5! LOL!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc

Lol, yeah, actually I did. I was so mad because he wasn't doing anything wrong! He wasn't running, jumping, dropping stuff, nothing. He was just walking happily around the room! So I stomped twice on the floor in response.

So after I stomped the guy came up to our door, which is actually why I stomped. The couple other times that they have banged on our floor and I've just gone down to talk to them they haven't even answered their door. But I guess my stomping back made them mad enough to want to see a face. Hubby answered the door and the conversation went something like this:
Neighbor, "We are trying to sleep and we hear all those footsteps!"
Hubby, "Yeah the building has really thin floors huh."
Neighbor, "Well, yeah! So it wakes us up!"
Hubby, "Yeah it's terrible construction when you can hear a baby walking on a rug. That sucks."
Neighbor, "So what are you going to do about it!?"
Hubby, "I don't think I can change the building."
Neighbor walks away in a huff.

These people know we aren't doing anything to be loud. They just hate us because we are the only renters in an all-owner condo building. They've even said that they own their home and have X rights and we don't. They resent that people with a kid moved in above them and they don't care whether or not we are trying to be quiet (which we are!).

Then I say respectfully, SCREw them. And renters have the right to WALK in their home, lol.

I think your dh handled that well
Old 01-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the one and only year we lived in an apt we had nightmare down stair neighbors, always bugging us about noise when ds1 was 1-2. it was so obnoxious
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote