Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
Bentley'sMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

help installing chicco keyfit with seatbelt

What is the reasoning for not having the seatbelt in the "locked" position (don't remember for sure what it's called, but when you pull the seatbelt all the way out first so you can't loosen it without unbuckling and starting over) when installing with the base?

When I don't "lock" it, after taking the seat out a couple of times I can move the base an inch or more and need to reinstall. I tried it in the locked position and it doesn't have this problem... but I don't want to have it installed improperly.

I have the shoulder belt going in the little clip thing on the side that the shoulder belt goes up, but it won't hold it tight. Am I doing something wrong?

I have it installed in the middle seat next to a rear facing britax boulevard. The handle of the chicco pushes on the boulevard when it's in the upright position, but not when I push it down.

TIA

Advertisement

Last edited by Bentley'sMomma; 01-07-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Bentley'sMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: help installing chicco keyfit with seatbelt

Sometimes, with some seats and automatic locking seatbelts (the ones that pull all the way out and "click" back in), the base/seat will tilt and not sit level. It's not really dangerous, as far as I know... but kinda annoying.

Does the Chicco base have a seatbelt lock-off itself? (the clip thing you're talking about) I've only had a Graco base with lock-off, and there was no way the belt would move in that.

Quote:
I have it installed in the middle seat next to a rear facing britax boulevard. The handle of the chicco pushes on the boulevard when it's in the upright position, but not when I push it down.
As long as each seat is installed securely and tightly independently, it's fine if they touch/overlap.
I would install one, making sure it's in tightly and correctly, then install the 2nd seat, then take out the first one - if the 2nd one is still tight and correctly installed, you're good to go.

... 'kay, I found the manual online. Looks like that clip you mean is the lockoff - the manual says you need to put the shoulder belt in firmly, while still holding the belt tight (pushing the base down).
I can't find any info about whether or not you can use a locking clip with the keyfit. If you could, that would solve the problem. But, again, I can't find that mentioned in the manual.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
Bentley'sMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
Sometimes, with some seats and automatic locking seatbelts (the ones that pull all the way out and "click" back in), the base/seat will tilt and not sit level. It's not really dangerous, as far as I know... but kinda annoying.

Does the Chicco base have a seatbelt lock-off itself? (the clip thing you're talking about) I've only had a Graco base with lock-off, and there was no way the belt would move in that.

As long as each seat is installed securely and tightly independently, it's fine if they touch/overlap.
I would install one, making sure it's in tightly and correctly, then install the 2nd seat, then take out the first one - if the 2nd one is still tight and correctly installed, you're good to go.

... 'kay, I found the manual online. Looks like that clip you mean is the lockoff - the manual says you need to put the shoulder belt in firmly, while still holding the belt tight (pushing the base down).
I can't find any info about whether or not you can use a locking clip with the keyfit. If you could, that would solve the problem. But, again, I can't find that mentioned in the manual.
Thanks for your response. Yes, I use the lock off on the base, it just doesn't hold as tightly as the hinged lockoffs that I've seen on other brands. And they are both installed correctly independent of each other. But I think that them pushing on each other when I put the bucket in and out it is what is causing the base to loosen faster.

I'm almost positive if I lock the seatbelt (or get a locking clip) it will eliminate the problem... I just want to make sure I'm not missing something on why that would be unsafe.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

If the lock off is not holding the belt properly then I would call Chicco and talk to them about that and ask them if you can use a locking clip. They might send you one if they approve its use. Since it explicitly states in the manual not to lock the belt when using the lock off, I would not deviate from those instructions without Chicco's blessing.

If your lock off is worn out, they might send you a new base. For now, can you install in a seating position where you would use the opposite lock off instead?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m View Post
Since it explicitly states in the manual not to lock the belt when using the lock off, I would not deviate from those instructions without Chicco's blessing.

If your lock off is worn out, they might send you a new base. For now, can you install in a seating position where you would use the opposite lock off instead?
I missed that part in the manual, too - if they say not to lock the seat belt, then I definitely wouldn't do it. Although, do they say not to lock it at all, or only when using the lock-off? Would it be okay to forgo the lock-off and lock the seat belt, kwim?
That I would call and ask them about.

Is there a locking clip anywhere on the seat? All the seats I've ever gotten have one kinda stuck in a plastic spot on the back somewhere. That would at least tell me that you can use one with the seat - though if it would be okay with the base, I don't know.
Again, calling them to ask about it should clear it up... I hope!

Like this poster suggested, is there any way you could move the seats around so that you're using the lock-off on the opposite side, away from the other installed seat?
Old 01-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
Bentley'sMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

It says to lock the seatbelt when installing without the base. But to not lock the seatbelt when installing with the base.

There's nothing wrong with the lock off on the base, it just doesn't work well. lol. It's a brand new seat so both sides work equally poorly. I just replaced it since I got in a car accident recently. My last seat (also a chicco key fit) did the same thing, I just dealt with having to reinstall every week.

I'll definitely call chicco and see if I can use another locking clip though. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #7
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If the lock-offs don't work, they should remake them! Or at the very least, they should allow the installer to choose between their lock-off and locking the belt/using a clip.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have never had a problem with a Keyfit lockoff working poorly. This is probably a very silly question but you're using the lockoff furthest from the buckle and sliding the shoulder belt all the way to the back of it, right?
Old 01-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
Bentley'sMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m
I have never had a problem with a Keyfit lockoff working poorly. This is probably a very silly question but you're using the lockoff furthest from the buckle and sliding the shoulder belt all the way to the back of it, right?
Yes.

I read and reread the manual figuring I must be doing something wrong since I haven't heard other people complain about this issue. Then I uninstalled it and gave the base and the manual to my husband and asked him to do it to see if he somehow interpreted it a different way. He did it the exact same and had the same issue.

Now that I think about it... I wonder if it also has to do with my vehicle seat. It's a really firm smooth leather that is kind of slippery. I know the install didn't bother me as much when I first installed it a couple years ago...but that was in a different car with grippier seats. Humm...
Old 01-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have one more idea for you to try. Place the base on the vehicle seat and route the belt through the belt path and buckle it. Stand in front of the base and use your knee to push the base in to the vehicle seat back while pushing down with one hand and pulling the shoulder belt to tighten with the other hand. Don't pull up with the shoulder portion of the belt, pull sideways and down. Once you have pulled as much slack as possible out, slide the shoulder portion through the lockoff. Test for tightness but make sure you're only testing at the belt path. Give the base a shake no stronger than a firm handshake with your non dominant hand.