Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
Bentley'sMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

2 kids napping schedule help

DS is 26 months. He goes to preschool MWF and nap time is 11:30-2 and he sleeps about 2 hours. At home nap time is "suppose" to be 2 hours but it usually only 1.5 and we start between 11:30 and noon.

This worked fine when DD (4.5 months) was taking 3 naps. She'd take an hour in the morning, 2-3 hours in the afternoon that coincided with DS's nap, and an hour in the evening.

Now DD wants to take 2 naps... 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon. She'll take 3, but I have to really try hard to get her down for each one, but she goes down easily if she just takes 2.

So I'm torn. Should I let DD nap 10-12. Then DS nap 12-2. Then DD nap 2-4. I wouldn't get any break and wouldn't be able to leave the house all day. But I know that needing 2 naps isn't just a short term thing. So I'm wondering if I should just keep trying to get her 3. Maybe even wake her up from her morning nap so she'll be ready for napping during DS's nap? But that seems mean. Ugh!

Advertisement

Bentley'sMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 2 kids napping schedule help

I have 6 kids. So, I've been through this. It can be very tough to get the napping schedules to overlap. I'm not really sure what to tell you because of the preschool schedule. If it weren't for that, I would tell you to shift your older child's nap back to 12:30 or 1 and then you would get about an hour of overlap. That is how I have always handled it. The one nappers go down from 1-3 and the 2 nappers go down from 10-12 and 2-4. One other option would be to try to change the younger to 9-11 and 1-3. You will probably need to adjust bed time and wake up time. That would be doable and is probably what I would try. Good luck! I feel your frustration and will be in this position again soon.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 01-07-2013 at 12:31 PM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Maybe it is because my kids are closer in age, but I let them sleep whenever. DD still get s tired around 10:30 but won't take a nap at that time (she waits for her DB to get sleepy too). They both go into their room for what we call quiet time. We called it that because DS started rebelling "taking a nap" at 24-ish mo and we insisted that he at least lay on his bed quietly if not sleep. 9+ times out of ten, he falls asleep anyway.

They both go to DC M-Th (though this is DS's first week of pre-school). They nap there from 11:30 to 1pm, but that has never been anything near exact sleep times here at home. It doesn't matter to me as long as they actually do sleep or rest. Most days I still get time to get some things done while they are down. It just isn't a rigid schedule. There are some days they don't fall asleep until 2pm and they sleep until 5pm. They get up and turn right back around at 7:30pm and go back to sleep. It works.

I wasn't great napper after 2yo so I don't blame DS at all for dropping off his last nap too.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I works let them sleep the way that works best. I know kinda not great but if they are gator that way it is good. Plus for me then I only have one rip watch and or entertain at once.