Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Learning Mandarin....

I am looking for something for the late Elementary through high school levels that would teach Mandarin Chinese.

My sister is trying to become an olympian and this week my dad said that he will likely have to pull her out of school 3 days so she can train. She is 9 years old. Right now she is in an immersion program where she is learning 50/50 Mandarin and English. I told my father that if this continues he may have to homeschool her, something he is realizing may come to pass.

It would also be nice for me as I want my sons to learn Mandarin also like his aunts (my other sister is in the same school and is 11).

Rosetta stone doesn't seem like it would go high enough for where my father wants his youngest to go. Is there something after Rosetta stone?

PS This is my sister driving her desire. My father is a lot of things, but a pushy parent is not one of them.

Thank you for your help!

Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Learning Mandarin....

The best thing for higher than something like Rosetta Stone would be to immerse yourself in the language and culture. Could be through an immersion school or being in the country. Having family/friends to talk to on a daily basis in the language is also a huge +.

We do early and beginner language with our kids and then when they are done with that then we just speak with them on a daily basis in the language and it helps them learn the rest.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
AJH1544
Registered Users
seller

I agree, immersion is best. You learn formally with a program; you learn conversationally with the people. My inlaws have hosted exchange students for many many years, and it is amazing the transformation of their english skills by being here. When they arrive (usually they are german, but they have had other cultures as well), their english is staggered, slightly broken, and very formal despite being taught english since a very young age. When they leave, youd barely know they were from another country if it wasnt for their accent.

How about a friend online? To skype and such?
AJH1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My father is in the community where he lives and all the "little China" activities that they do. Obviously my other sister is also learning it and she is a higher grade then my younger sister so that helps. Dad said he knows a couple of people both here and in China that can help with her so that would help also. My father and step mother speak little Mandarin themselves.

I, on the other hand, don't have all the resources they do. I live in a more diverse area so it is possible I just haven't found my resources yet, but I don't do all cultural activities that they do. I guess I should start there.

Dad and I live 2500 miles apart.