Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Aspirin to prevent Pre-E?

Should I take a daily baby aspirin (81mg) to prevent Pre-eclampsia?

I was at the ER last week for dehydration after some horrible nausea (I'm almost 23 weeks), and they recommended I add a daily aspirin for the rest of the pregnancy. This is because they found some protein in my urine, and because of my "history" of high blood pressure. I followed up with my regular doctor today and he said he didn't have any compelling reason either way - he can go either way.

The "history" is that the last week of my other pregnancy I measured about 140/90, but I still had an uncomplicated natural birth on my due date without being induced. My normal blood pressure has always been 120/80 (plus or minus 10). This pregnancy, has also had a normal BP. Today it was 90/60 which is borderline-low. Not sure if that's low because I've been taking the baby aspirin for a week or because I've been sick with fever/congestion/cough and in bed all week.

I'm somebody that avoids medications, especially while pregnant. Is my "history" of high blood pressure enough to warrant aspirin to prevent pre-e? I've read a lot of conflicting things and now my head is spinning.

Advertisement

mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Re: Aspirin to prevent Pre-E?

My blood pressure is lower as well. It's typically 125-130/80-85ish. Last appointment it was 112/72. This is significantly lower for me, and I can tell that my heart rate is slower as well. I will be 23 weeks in two days. I wonder if it's just the time of the pregnancy?
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Last edited by AniMommy; 01-07-2013 at 02:47 PM.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

While pregnant you should not take anything over the counter without consulting with your doctor/mw. Only your doctor/mw knows your full medical history and can tell you what is best for you.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

I was told to discontinue taking aspirin (family history of stroke) when I got pregnant, as it's a risk of reye's disease in baby. Not safe to take it either while pregnant or breastfeeding.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

No idea for pre-e, but I take low-dose aspirin for a mutation that can cause clotting. Was put on that and folic acid after recurrent early pregnancy loss, but docs insist that I continue it for the entire pregnancy. Luckily, it has never caused complication with babies or delivery.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I did not read your whole OP, so forgive me if I missed something...

The best way I have found through my personal research to avoid pre-e (and many other pg issues), is through a diet high in protein, low in carbs, low in processed sugars. And combined with regular physical exercise. You can google "Brewer diet" and read about it.

I would not take aspirin during pregnancy b/c of the risks.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
dudleypippen
Registered Users
seller
seller

At one time it was thought to help, but newer studies have disproved this. Same goes for calcium or magnesium supplements. The only pregnant women I see on baby aspirin are those with clotting disorders (protein c, mtfhr, etc) like pp mentioned.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

I second the Brewer diet a pp mentioned. Aim for 80-100 grams of protein/day from all sources. Also, regular consumption of nettles infusion and red raspberry leaf infusion can help prevent high blood pressure and pre-e. Since you didn't actually have pre-e before, and only a very mild case of pregnancy induced hypertension, I don't think that's compelling enough to merit taking aspirin regularly for me. I did have pre-e late in pregnancy that bled over postpartum (was readmitted 6 days pp and out on mag sulfate for a day and the. Had to stay 4 more days to get my bp in check) and I don't plan on doing an aspirin regimen in the future unless my bp starts to creep up and other, more natural, methods aren't controlling it. The Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Year has good info on ways to prevent high bp and pre-e. I wish I'd read it during my pregnancy, but I have it now for next time. There's a website for the book that has some of the info from it about bp. Good luck. I hope you have a healthy pregnancy and a safe and happy birth!
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #10
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have never had Pre-E. So I can't comment on that. I am however on low dose aspirin and I am pregnant. I typically have low blood pressure. I was in labor with my triplets and had blood on standby because they thought I was going to need a transfusion after I delivered them, and I STILL had low blood pressure. It is just me. However because of my history (pelvic radiation) it is thought that I could have placenta issues and this is a way to insure good blood flow to my uterus.

This is my 5th pregnancy and my 3rd to get this far and I actually watched my veins get bigger when I got pregnant. I don't remember this with any of my other pregnancies. I blame this on my aspirin regiment.

So if Pre-E has anything to do with blood flow issues, then it might be good to take. I haven't been told when I will have to stop it but I know I will eventually have to stop it as it can cause excess bleeding at delivery. I have to have a c-section so this is a concern, especially since I don't have any blood issues generally speaking.

Good luck!