Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
fussybutt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sudden memory loss in 4 year old?

So I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this in a 4-5 year old. Maybe just a developmental/age thing.

My daughter has always had a scary good memory. She would remember details of things that happened as an infant or conversations word for word. When I was pregnant with #2 she even told me about the pink fluffy clouds and red trampoline she used in utero!

So suddenly about 2 months ago I noticed a significant difference in her memory and recall. Now, she can't even remember things that happened during a visit to my mom's over the holidays. At the time she was estatic to play in snow (we've had none at our house this year) and spent hours over the weekend there just jumping and rolling in it. Today when I was sorting through pictures I took of her she asked "who is that"? She had no memory of playing in the snow. This is happening with other events as well.

She is turning 5 next month. She hasn't had any head trauma that I know about. The only life changes I can think of are the birth of her brother 4 months ago and starting a full day pre-K program back in Sept. The memory loss only started 6weeks - 2 months ago though.

Added note: I don't like her Dr. and already know he will dimiss this and say most 5 year olds don't remember everything. He won't see it as a major change in behavior like I do.

Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Re: Sudden memory loss in 4 year old?

I would call a neurologist. They will likely want to do CT scans and maybe an MRI. Better to be safe than sorry. I have three kiddos, and none of them have ever had moments like this.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
teacherpippi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would keep talking to people until someone takes you seriously. I would be worried too.
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
crunchymamaNY
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
I would call a neurologist. They will likely want to do CT scans and maybe an MRI. Better to be safe than sorry. I have three kiddos, and none of them have ever had moments like this.
I agree.

I don't think it's "normal" to have memory loss like that in this age. My daughter started having issues and I don't wish to scare you, but we found out she was having daily seizures! They were small ones that happened every night, so we didn't know for a long time. It wasn't until she was around 7 that she was diagnosed with benign rolandic epilepsy. For her, stress makes them worse.

It could be nothing at all, but if I were you, I would get her checked out. Usually, depending on symptoms, a neurologist will test reflexes, ask questions, and order an MRI. I would go to a pediatric one, as they are so good with kids!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

The fact that she actually pointed to a picture of herself and asked who it was would really concern me. My just turned 4 yr old would do something like that, but that would be typical for her an not a radical change like you describe.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would go to your pediatrician and ask for a pediatric neurologist referral. Trying to get into see one without a referral can often take months. I got a referral and we were able to see a pediatric neurologist with my daughter and got an MRI with in one week.
I would be very concerned about memory loss. That is not a normal developmental thing.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
fussybutt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone. I really hope I can get some help or answers. I might need to hound our current Dr. until I get one. He is usually less than helpful with any referrals and we are on Medicaid so I can only switch primary Dr.s once a month.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Not sure how well it would work, but if NOTHING else, you could always take her to the ER. Explain to them what is going on, and that you need answers. You could maybe even wait until she has another "episode" and explain to them when you get there "she just told me she doesn't remember" yadda yadda. They should atleast do a CT scan or SOMETHING while you're there. Like I said, that might be a LAST resort.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash
Not sure how well it would work, but if NOTHING else, you could always take her to the ER. Explain to them what is going on, and that you need answers. You could maybe even wait until she has another "episode" and explain to them when you get there "she just told me she doesn't remember" yadda yadda. They should atleast do a CT scan or SOMETHING while you're there. Like I said, that might be a LAST resort.
Yeah that. We are on Medicaid too for our littles and I would have no problem calling them and asking to switch immediately and tell them your ped isn't working out.
I don't think the memory loss thing is normal
Old 01-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

It's a long shot, but any chance she has a super-strong memory and has gotten to an age where it is overloaded? As in, does she still remember the things she used to recall, but doesn't have room to store the newer stuff? I heard an interview with a photographic-memory person who said this happened to her at times.