Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #11
ashley84's Avatar
ashley84
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,611
My Mood:
Re: Group B Strep

I've been positive for Group B strep with both pregnancies. I was really frustrated the second time because I took probiotics twice a day through the whole pregnancy and I really thought I would test negative. At any rate, I'm a delayed and selective vaxer. We don't even do the vitamin K shot, we just do drops. I did antibiotic IVs during each labor though. I wouldn't dream of foregoing the antibiotics for Group B strep. GBS infections are awful. I've read about more than one baby dying from untreated GBS during my time on parenting message boards. Yes, the chances are very high that your baby will be fine, but are you having a hospital birth? The hospital is going to require invasive testing and possibly even a NICU stay if you decline the antibiotics. I would seriously reconsider.

Advertisement

__________________
Liz (12 yrs), Jake (Feb '10), Josie (Sept '12), & Josh (Sept '13)
My 365: http://toomanyjs.blogspot.com/
ashley84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #12
MrsFields's Avatar
MrsFields
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 18
Thanks for your stories and suggestions, everyone! After a little more research, I now intend to accept the antibiotics. One concern I had which I forgot to mention is that my husband is allergic to some antibiotics and I was afraid that could have passed to Anastasia. However, I'll just mention it to the doctor and find out specifically what antibiotic they use to make sure there isn't a contradiction. I've been planning a water birth and was grateful to learn that this (abx drip, using an iv, etc) won't upset those plans!
MrsFields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #13
BeccaSueCongdon's Avatar
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsFields
Thanks for your stories and suggestions, everyone! After a little more research, I now intend to accept the antibiotics. One concern I had which I forgot to mention is that my husband is allergic to some antibiotics and I was afraid that could have passed to Anastasia. However, I'll just mention it to the doctor and find out specifically what antibiotic they use to make sure there isn't a contradiction. I've been planning a water birth and was grateful to learn that this (abx drip, using an iv, etc) won't upset those plans!
Definitely make a list of which ones your DH is allergic to, and the reactions he has had. If you can talk to your provider beforehand about that concern they should work with you to find the right one. In my experience, providers swim to use the least potent option that will have the intended outcome. They don't immediately jump to the big guns.

The good news about the IV abx, is its usually just one bag every six hours. You can walk with your IV in (dragging your IV cart with you, lol), and once the bag is emptied you're free of it for another several hours.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #14
lifeacoustic's Avatar
lifeacoustic
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 948
My Mood:
Re: Group B Strep

I was Strep B positive and I refused antibiotics. I had a beautiful natural birth and everything was fine. I agree with happy2bamommy on all accounts. You can treat yourself naturally prior to your labor. Also, there isn't any way of knowing whether you are positive at the time of birth - that's just a guess based on the prior month, but the flora is always changing. I recommend looking at statistics and doing more research before you decide. Sounds like your gut was telling you what you are comfortable with.
__________________
Angela
Newlywedded to Josh (02-14-15) and mama to free-spirited Rory (9-8-10)!
lifeacoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #15
steph410's Avatar
steph410
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 6,096
My Mood:
Re: Group B Strep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeacoustic View Post
I was Strep B positive and I refused antibiotics. I had a beautiful natural birth and everything was fine. I agree with happy2bamommy on all accounts. You can treat yourself naturally prior to your labor. Also, there isn't any way of knowing whether you are positive at the time of birth - that's just a guess based on the prior month, but the flora is always changing. I recommend looking at statistics and doing more research before you decide. Sounds like your gut was telling you what you are comfortable with.
this is sort of misleading I think to someone who has not talked to an actual doctor. there is nothing else outside of antibiotics that has been proven to significantly lower your risk of the baby contracting GBS at birth.
__________________
Catholic mom to five wonderful little boys- we welcomed our newest baby on 4/6/13
steph410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #16
Ellasundies
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,264
Re: Group B Strep

^^ That is not true. There are problems caused by antibiotics with treating GBS and there are other treatment options out there that have been tested by main stream medicine that have been found to be effective. I think I linked to them earlier in this thread. This issue is not as clear cut as you would like to think.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #17
umphreysmommy's Avatar
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: boston, ma
Posts: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeacoustic
I was Strep B positive and I refused antibiotics. I had a beautiful natural birth and everything was fine. I agree with happy2bamommy on all accounts. You can treat yourself naturally prior to your labor. Also, there isn't any way of knowing whether you are positive at the time of birth - that's just a guess based on the prior month, but the flora is always changing. I recommend looking at statistics and doing more research before you decide. Sounds like your gut was telling you what you are comfortable with.
Where did you birth? I do agree with alternate methods and it is what my midwives do at home but OP is birthing in a hospital and I think if she refuses they would treat the baby with the antibiotics and a NICU stay or worse.
__________________
Mommy to Fiona 12/09 and new baby Layla 3/12 a HBAC!
umphreysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #18
zandj's Avatar
zandj
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,818
Re: Group B Strep

I did hibiclens for 3 days and retested positive again so I don't necessarily trust it. I was birthing at home though and my labor was short and fast, water broke right at the end, otherwise we had the antibiotics in the fridge waiting in case my water broke earlier, labor was long etc
__________________
Mama to P 12.07 and baby Q born at home 9.30.12 <3
zandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #19
iwiamandaiwi's Avatar
iwiamandaiwi
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,218
Re: Group B Strep

I can't understand why anyone would take the risk of declining. Is your discomfort or unease about it worth risking your child's life? Because that is exactly what a person that knows they tested positive and declined treatment would be doing. I am not talking specifically about OP because she had an unusual situation with her husbands allergies and I am very happy to hear that she is going to take the antibiotics and talk with her doctor about the possibilities of allergies in her child. I think it is a very responsible and wonderful decision. I just can't help but feel immense sorrow for the babies whose mothers decline. I am sorry, I don't want to cause drama, but I think it is one of the most selfish and cold decisions a mother could make. You are risking your childs life when it could easily be avoided
__________________
Breastfeeding , Cloth Diapering, Babywearing Mommy, to Dylan Michael (September 2007) Aiden Edward (March 2011) and anxiously waiting for Katherine Sophia due in MAY!
iwiamandaiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #20
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bluegrass Country
Posts: 1,428
My Mood:
Re: Group B Strep

I am planning on a 2nd homebirth and we aren't even getting tested. I will do probiotics starting at 32 weeks, do a hibiscleanse, and limit internal exams once my water has broke.

What is someone to do in this situation? I don't have a back up dr to do a test and my MW doesn't offer it?
__________________
Mama married to my soulmate and homebirth partner. I am a co-sleeping, , ing, babywearing, ERF, and delayed vaxing mama to two intact boys (6/2010) & (4/2013).
ISO/IHA

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.