Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #31
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Group B Strep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellasundies View Post
Quoting myself to say whoops. My links to research were in the last thread that popped up on GBS.

For those of you who think Mom's are being selfish for not taking the antibiotics. I will say this....

*There are other completely valid treatment options out there that are backed up by research that don't involve antibiotics. That are just as effective.

*There are completely valid reasons to not want antibiotics based on research.

*Prophylactic antibiotics during labor don't always work and won't always protect from death and in some cases CAUSE the baby to be sicker.

Before you make such harsh judgements maybe people should read up on the subject a little more. I can totally understand choosing to take antibiotics for yourself. But to call another women selfish and not taking proper care of her newborn when she chooses a different treatment course when there are other treatment courses out there and when there is no cut and dry answer to the issue is just
totally agree with this and I also feel that overuse of antibiotics is probably partly to blame for the among if women who are GBS positive.. (medical antibiotics and in the food supply). Personally I have fast labors and the water breaks at the very end so chance of transmission would be very low if I were positive, so most of the risk would be on me if I were given them. Antibiotics can and do have serious, long-term health consequences so I think there should be more and better studies on alternatives. But I doubt there will be because it's so easy to hook a woman up; she's probably going to get an iv and drugs anyway..

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #32
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I tested positive with DD, which was an HBAC. Per my widwife's recommendations, I used hibiclens and tested again several days later. I got another positive result, so I continued the hibiclens and tested again. Finally got a negative result. We still took precautions with the birth and she only broke my bag when it became necessary to during pushing.
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:31 AM   #33
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by laila View Post
I do not deny the antibiotics for me; it is denied for the safety of my child's immune system. There can be lifelong negative effects to giving baby's antibiotics before their systems have had a chance to build themselves. This is what I choose for my baby, but this doesn't mean I will EVER judge another mama's decision for her baby.
you could not even HAVE THAT BABY AT ALL if he/she were to contract gbs at birth and die. this conversation is so silly.

Last edited by steph410; 01-10-2013 at 05:32 AM.
steph410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:43 AM   #34
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I was gbs positive with all four of mine. I never got both bags of antibiotics bc my labors are too fast. With my youngest I never received any. Barely made it to the bed before she was out. They were monitored but not heavily. I think they hook their temps every 3-4 hours. That's it. With my youngest we left when she was 16 hours old.
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:03 AM   #35
laila
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410

you could not even HAVE THAT BABY AT ALL if he/she were to contract gbs at birth and die. this conversation is so silly.
I just want to say I was very informed of my risks and I know how I birth. They have always had to break my bags at the very end as the baby was almost out. The risk is very minimal for my babies. I think your judgmental tone is very condescending. We are all educated women, and we all love our children. There are risks to everything, including antibiotics and vaccinations. I am aware of them and choose what I feel is right and less risky for my babies. You have the right to disagree, but please don't act like we are ignorant if we come up with a different decision.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #36
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I tested positive with DS (got antibiotics), and am in the process of trying to ensure I test negative with this LO. I had a talk with my midwife yesterday. She said she advocates all of the natural stuff to help test negative (e.g., garlic, probiotics) except hibicleans (no judgement to those who do...just her personal opinion).

She also said there are tons of things that could minimize infection of the baby, if for some reason I tested negative, but re-colonized without our knowledge. She said a waterbirth helps (b/c of dilution), a vaginal delivery (b/c it exposes baby to your good bacteria which could help combat the bad...but this is something you wont have if you use hibicleans) (and some other things Im blanking on). Im not sure what would happen if baby tested positive (I didnt ask. I guess my focus is on testing negative at this point :-).
Old 01-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #37
iwiamandaiwi
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb2j View Post
I tested positive with DS (got antibiotics), and am in the process of trying to ensure I test negative with this LO. I had a talk with my midwife yesterday. She said she advocates all of the natural stuff to help test negative (e.g., garlic, probiotics) except hibicleans (no judgement to those who do...just her personal opinion).

She also said there are tons of things that could minimize infection of the baby, if for some reason I tested negative, but re-colonized without our knowledge. She said a waterbirth helps (b/c of dilution), a vaginal delivery (b/c it exposes baby to your good bacteria which could help combat the bad...but this is something you wont have if you use hibicleans) (and some other things Im blanking on). Im not sure what would happen if baby tested positive (I didnt ask. I guess my focus is on testing negative at this point :-).
I'm confused...Isn't a vaginal delivery the only way it can be contracted? How would baby contract it during a c-section?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #38
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwiamandaiwi

I'm confused...Isn't a vaginal delivery the only way it can be contracted? How would baby contract it during a c-section?
Yes, this is my understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #39
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have begun reading up on Strep B. I never tested positive for it until I got pregnant with this kiddo. My doctor had me on ABX to get rid of it so hopefully it is gone forever (the proliferation, I mean) but I'm not holding my breath. After reading the risks of Strep B, there is no way I would consider refusing the ABX. I agree that I am not thrilled about a newborn being exposed to them but I feel that it's he right choice versus skipping them.

lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #40
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97 View Post
I have begun reading up on Strep B. I never tested positive for it until I got pregnant with this kiddo. My doctor had me on ABX to get rid of it so hopefully it is gone forever (the proliferation, I mean) but I'm not holding my breath. After reading the risks of Strep B, there is no way I would consider refusing the ABX. I agree that I am not thrilled about a newborn being exposed to them but I feel that it's he right choice versus skipping them.

It's not gone forever. Most of us have it in our GI tract, the reason why they swab your vagina is because it migrates. It also runs in cycles, so you can test negative one week and positive the next. I pray that you don't have the long-term issues with your baby that I have with my oldest (6 years later) as a result of abx use during my pregnancy (for BV, not group B strep) - nothing is without risk.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote