Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #41
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Re: Group B Strep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsFields View Post
One concern I had which I forgot to mention is that my husband is allergic to some antibiotics and I was afraid that could have passed to Anastasia.
I don't know if this will make you feel better, but I am allergic to 3 antibiotics, and my kids don't seem to have any problem with them. I know at least for me, my allergies didn't pop up until later- when I was in my teens.

Advertisement

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:37 PM   #42
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Decals

It's not gone forever. Most of us have it in our GI tract, the reason why they swab your vagina is because it migrates. It also runs in cycles, so you can test negative one week and positive the next. I pray that you don't have the long-term issues with your baby that I have with my oldest (6 years later) as a result of abx use during my pregnancy (for BV, not group B strep) - nothing is without risk.
I agree that it is a risk to take the ABX. I also realize that some of the bacteria is normal. I have had large amounts since getting pregnant with this one :-( I'm going to start taking probiotics and hope that will help. I am only 10 weeks so I have lots of time. Who knows if I will test positive by 37 weeks but I'm hopeful I won't.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #43
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_to_DJM

I don't know if this will make you feel better, but I am allergic to 3 antibiotics, and my kids don't seem to have any problem with them. I know at least for me, my allergies didn't pop up until later- when I was in my teens.
I second this. My antibiotic allergy didn't pop up until my early 30's.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #44
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Both IV abx and GBS infection can cause serious, long-term problems.

I am thankful to have a right to choose which risks I am okay with taking.

It is the height of arrogance to make a choice and assume that everyone who chooses differently than you do must be lacking brain function or ill informed.

Two fantastic, well educated, well informed, highly researched mothers can make two totally different chiices..... and both still be wonderful mothers.

It's not black and white. It's about risk assessment and what makes sense to YOU. You shouldn't be bullied or scared into making a choice.

my post is not referring to anyone specific

Last edited by Kiliki; 01-10-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:06 AM   #45
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
Both IV abx and GBS infection can cause serious, long-term problems.

I am thankful to have a right to choose which risks I am okay with taking.

It is the height of arrogance to make a choice and assume that everyone who chooses differently than you do must be lacking brain function or ill informed.

Two fantastic, well educated, well informed, highly researched mothers can make two totally different chiices..... and both still be wonderful mothers.

It's not black and white. It's about risk assessment and what makes sense to YOU. You shouldn't be bullied or scared into making a choice.

my post is not referring to anyone specific
to the bolded- not really, not on the same scale. I have a right to my opinion that it is somewhat foolish to choose not to have antibiotics if you know you are gbs positive and they are available to you. you don't have to agree with me. you can choose whatever way you please.

Last edited by steph410; 01-11-2013 at 06:14 AM.
steph410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:16 AM   #46
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.cdc.gov/groupbstrep/about/prevention.html

If you are really interested in facts, read this page from the centers of disease control and prevention...particularly the last paragraph. good luck mamas!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #47
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
to the bolded- not really, not on the same scale. I have a right to my opinion that it is somewhat foolish to choose not to have antibiotics if you know you are gbs positive and they are available to you. you don't have to agree with me. you can choose whatever way you please.
You are absolutely entitled to your opinion, but when you start acting condescending and rude to everyone who disagrees, it really doesn't help your cause or make you look very nice.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #48
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
You are absolutely entitled to your opinion, but when you start acting condescending and rude to everyone who disagrees, it really doesn't help your cause or make you look very nice.
sorry mama, but i have not been rude or condescending. I just know the facts here about what is recommended and why, what treatments (antibiotics only) work and which do not, according to medical sources. midwives seem to be giving out false information and misleading mothers. if you don't like it, sorry, but it doesn't make me rude. I feel mothers should know facts and the seriousness of GBS- if they don't have an OB to tell them.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #49
Ellasundies
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
sorry mama, but i have not been rude or condescending. I just know the facts here about what is recommended and why, what treatments (antibiotics only) work and which do not, according to medical sources. midwives seem to be giving out false information and misleading mothers. if you don't like it, sorry, but it doesn't make me rude. I feel mothers should know facts and the seriousness of GBS- if they don't have an OB to tell them.
^ I beg to differ
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #50
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Even the aap is saying only proven option is iv antibiotics. I see mamas on here use that as a good source for recomemdations such as car seat safety standards and such so it should be a good resource.

I feel if your comfortable risking your baby by not getting the antibiotics then ok for you but you are infact taking a risk. Again having had a baby contract this disease I will never recommend not getting the antibiotics. It is a risk I am not willing to take.

Edited to say we all decide what risks are acceptable. I turned my dd3 around before 2 in her carseat after careful consideration. That is a risk many mamas on here would not do so I am going to not judge property who are willing to risk this I guess. I have strong feelings on the matter because I have gone through it and dont wish that on any mama.

Last edited by ulawolf; 01-11-2013 at 08:45 AM.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote