Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #51
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Group B Strep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
Even the aap is saying only proven option is iv antibiotics. I see mamas on here use that as a good source for recomemdations such as car seat safety standards and such so it should be a good resource.

I feel if your comfortable risking your baby by not getting the antibiotics then ok for you but you are infact taking a risk. Again having had a baby contract this disease I will never recommend not getting the antibiotics. It is a risk I am not willing to take.

Edited to say we all decide what risks are acceptable. I turned my dd3 around before 2 in her carseat after careful consideration. That is a risk many mamas on here would not do so I am going to not judge property who are willing to risk this I guess. I have strong feelings on the matter because I have gone through it and dont wish that on any mama.
I am so very sorry you had such an awful experience. I cannot imagine how scary that must have been.

At the same time, there are many babies born to mothers who are GBS positive - some who know there status, but how many don't? How many tested negative but are actually positive at the time of birth? Do we know? ---- who are NOT affected as your child was.

I am certainly not downplaying the very real threat of having a baby infected by GBS.

What I AM saying is that there are also awful effects from IV abx.

I personally don't feel these effects are well documented, or well understood, or well studied, or even given careful consideration by most of the medical community. Abx are the miracle cure for many terrible diseases. And thank God we have them! But the medical world is only NOW starting to consider that abx could be harmful.

When you take abx, you are literally killing your gut flora. Which is a HUGE part of your immune system. For some people, this isn't an issue. IMO, for most, it is. Our typical diet is crap. We eat JUNK - sugar, carbs, caffeine - and our immune systems are typically already fighting an uphill battle. Then we take a mother who is GBS infected (who maybe has an awful diet and this could be a cause for her GBS issues) and we infuse her with mega doses of abx while her body is under stress in labor. We expose her and her newborn to risks. Particularly the risks that come from killing your immune system during a time when you really do need it to be working for you.

Modern medicine doesn't do a good job of tying our diet to our health. When you go to the doctor for an infection, does the doctor ever tell you "now, you need to be eating a diet high in fruits and veggies, very minimal sugar, lots of liquids, NO SODA..." ??? No. They give you a magic pill. "Take these abx for a week, and you will feel better " In two weeks, when your round of abx is long forgotten about, and your infection is gone, and you suddenly get a yeast infection, who ever brings up the idea that your immune system isn't working well b/c you just fried it with a round of abx? I have never heard of such a thing from a doctor or someone in the medical field. No, it's more meds. "Here, put this in your vag and it will kill the yeast." ....... IMO, as a society, we are running from a very big problem by treating only symptoms and not treating the REAL cause of all of these things. But, I digress.

GBS is a much larger, more complex issue than "Are the abx good or bad? Do they save lives or not?"

It has to do with our typical diet, our immune system's strength, our cultural perception of how bacteria grows and thrives, and our personal risk assessment.

OF COURSE giving abx kills bacteria. No one is disputing that. The dispute is whether there is a better way to go about it.

Please remember that just b/c something isn't "recommended" doesn't mean it is ineffective. It just means no one paid a bunch of money and performed a big study to have it "approved" and turned into a treatment that the big wigs can profit from. No one profits from telling moms to use hibiclens. No one profits from encouraging moms to eat better. No one profits from telling moms to take garlic supplements or vitamin C. Those are CHEAP remedies.

I would bet my left arm that if a pharmaceutical company could profit from those things, there would suddenly be 10 studies about their effectiveness.

Do what is right for YOU. But don't act like someone who chooses something different is a total moron.

Not everyone looks to the AAP as a great source of info, either. I personally think their rec's are ridiculous 99% of the time. I feel the same way about ACOG and the CDC. I find them all to be fear-mongering and driven by $$$$ and greed rather than the best interests of people.

Advertisement

Last edited by Kiliki; 01-11-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #52
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
http://www.cdc.gov/groupbstrep/about/prevention.html

If you are really interested in facts, read this page from the centers of disease control and prevention...particularly the last paragraph. good luck mamas!
Conversely, I hope that people who are trying to look at this from both sides will consider the long-term effects of antibiotics.

Here are a few links. Some are blogs. All have good info.

http://inhumanexperiment.blogspot.co...iotics-on.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/antibio...ry?id=14374547

http://www.naturalnews.com/034177_an...e_effects.html

http://www.disabled-world.com/health...-digestive.php
Old 01-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #53
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post

I am so very sorry you had such an awful experience. I cannot imagine how scary that must have been.

At the same time, there are many babies born to mothers who are GBS positive - some who know there status, but how many don't? How many tested negative but are actually positive at the time of birth? Do we know? ---- who are NOT affected as your child was.

I am certainly not downplaying the very real threat of having a baby infected by GBS.

What I AM saying is that here are also awful effects from IV abx.

I personally don't feel these effects are well documented, or well understood, or well studied, or even given careful consideration by most of the medical community. Abx are the miracle cure for many terrible diseases. And thank God we have them!

But when you take abx, you are literally killing your gut flora. Which is a HUGE part of your immune system. For some people, this isn't an issue. IMO, for most, it is. Our typical diet is crap. We eat JUNK - sugar, carbs, caffeine - and our immune systems are typically already fighting an uphill battle. Then we take a mother who is GBS infected (who maybe has an awful diet and this could be a cause for her GBS issues) and we infuse her with mega doses of abx while her body is under stress in labor. We expose her and her newborn to risks. Particularly the risks that come from killing your immune system during a time when you really do need it to be working for you.

Modern medicine doesn't do a good job of tying our diet to our health. When you go to the doctor for an infection, does the doctor ever tell you "now, you need to be eating a diet high in fruits and veggies, very minimal sugar, lots of liquids, NO SODA..." ??? No. They give you a magic pill. "Take these abx for a week, and you will feel better " In two weeks, when your round of abx is long forgotten about, and your infection is gone, and you suddenly get a yeast infection, who ever brings up the idea that your immune system isn't working well b/c you just fried it with a round of abx? I have never heard of such a thing from a doctor or someone in the medical field. No, it's more meds. "Here, put this in your vag and it will kill the yeast." ....... IMO, as a society, we are running from a very big problem by treating only symptoms and not treating the REAL cause of all of these things. But, I digress.

GBS is a much larger, more complex issue than "Are the abx good or bad? Do they save lives or not?"

It has to do with our typical diet, our immune system's strength, our cultural perception of how bacteria grows and thrives, and our personal risk assessment.

OF COURSE giving abx kills bacteria. No one is disputing that. The dispute is whether there is a better way to go about it.

Please remember that just b/c something isn't "recommended" doesn't mean it is ineffective. It just means no one paid a bunch of money and performed a big study to have it "approved" and turned into a treatment that the big wigs can profit from. No one profits from telling moms to use hibiclens. No one profits from encouraging moms to eat better. No one profits from telling moms to take garlic supplements or vitamin C. Those are CHEAP remedies.

I would bet my left arm that if a pharmaceutical company could profit from those things, there would suddenly be 10 studies about their effectiveness.

Do what is right for YOU. But don't act like someone who chooses something different is a total moron.

Not everyone looks to the AAP as a great source of info, either. I personally think their rec's are ridiculous 99% of the time. I feel the same way about ACOG and the CDC. I find them all to be fear-mongering and driven by $$$$ and greed rather than the best interests of people.
I totally agree.to take the risks you are willing to take. It is why even though I forget in the heat of the moment that I try really hard to not judge other moms for their choices. But I do get frustrated when I get blasted for giving my baby formula or turning my baby around and then that same.person (no one particular person) then says I chose not to get this even though I tested positive and don't judge me my choice?

Of course I also feel the opposite is true. If im willing to take the risk of turning my child around at whatever age or to formula feed my baby then should I really judge another mom for not getting antibiotics? Even though I would never take that risk?

My answer is no. I personally.wouldn't take this risk but I am not going to say you don't have the right or that you are a 'moron' for taking that risk.

If that came out right.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #54
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulawolf View Post
I totally agree.to take the risks you are willing to take. It is why even though I forget in the heat of the moment that I try really hard to not judge other moms for their choices. But I do get frustrated when I get blasted for giving my baby formula or turning my baby around and then that same.person (no one particular person) then says I chose not to get this even though I tested positive and don't judge me my choice?

Of course I also feel the opposite is true. If im willing to take the risk of turning my child around at whatever age or to formula feed my baby then should I really judge another mom for not getting antibiotics? Even though I would never take that risk?

My answer is no. I personally.wouldn't take this risk but I am not going to say you don't have the right or that you are a 'moron' for taking that risk.

If that came out right.

I understand what you are saying. It is hard to remember as moms not to judge. I mean, we invest so much time and energy into doing this parenting thing the "right" way.... It's hard not to get warped over it.

Personally, I am the opposite of you. I tested positive with my first child, and they gave me like THREE (maybe even four) full bags of abx. My breastfeeding relationship with her was shot to ____ as a result of SEVERE thrush that could not be controlled.

She is 6 and we still struggle with immune system issues from her exposure to such a large dose of abx as a newborn.

Thankfully, I have worked hard to change my diet and lifestyle and have not tested positive again in my following 2 pregnancies.

There are two sides to every coin. It's all about perception, previous experience, and risk assessment.

YOU are not a bad mom for the choices you have made. I am sorry sometimes you feel judged.

And most of my post was not directly aimed at YOU. I'm sorry, I know it seemed that way.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #55
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post

I understand what you are saying. It is hard to remember as moms not to judge. I mean, we invest so much time and energy into doing this parenting thing the "right" way.... It's hard not to get warped over it.

Personally, I am the opposite of you. I tested positive with my first child, and they gave me like THREE (maybe even four) full bags of abx. My breastfeeding relationship with her was shot to ____ as a result of SEVERE thrush that could not be controlled.

She is 6 and we still struggle with immune system issues from her exposure to such a large dose of abx as a newborn.

Thankfully, I have worked hard to change my diet and lifestyle and have not tested positive again in my following 2 pregnancies.

There are two sides to every coin. It's all about perception, previous experience, and risk assessment.

YOU are not a bad mom for the choices you have made. I am sorry sometimes you feel judged.

And most of my post was not directly aimed at YOU. I'm sorry, I know it seemed that way.
We all forget that every other mom on a board like this is just trying to make the best choices.

So our examples are that either way there can be harsh consequences. I have had five babies and 3 got the called.for amount.of antibiotics ..none ever developed thrush. my dd1 who.ended up getting sick had to be on antibiotics for a year straight, got thrush, never nursed, and is now allergic to pennicillion and pedizol antibiotics. So getting gbs was awful for us because she actually got more antibiotics over a span of a year than she would have been exposed to with getting the iv during labor.

Sorry you had to deal with thrush alot. It sucks!
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #56
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have tested positive with all three.

DS1 got the IV antibiotice and no issues, no thrush

DS2 he was born too fast for IV antiobotic (almost and elevator baby) and he was showing signs so was on a antibiotic and did end up getting thrush

DD--got the IV antibiotic and no issues

For me personally it is not a risk I am willing to take.

DH is allergic to pennicillin and so far the boys are not. DD hasn't had any antibiotics yet.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #57
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
sorry mama, but i have not been rude or condescending. I just know the facts here about what is recommended and why, what treatments (antibiotics only) work and which do not, according to medical sources. midwives seem to be giving out false information and misleading mothers. if you don't like it, sorry, but it doesn't make me rude. I feel mothers should know facts and the seriousness of GBS- if they don't have an OB to tell them.
You are absolutely incorrect here mama. The CDC, AMA, and AAP only recommend MEDICAL intervention and MEDICAL treatment. They are not in the business of HEALTH. My midwife gave me a 7-page double-sided summary, fully referenced, on GBS and my options (including antibiotics) and the benefits and risks to each option. I got to choose whether or not I wanted to be tested and how I wanted to treat a positive result if I got one. My OB's office with a previous pregnancy never even told me what it was, they only informed me that I was getting a vaginal swab that day, I had to ask about the details.

It's about INFORMED CHOICE AND CONSENT - that important little part of health care where you are educated on the options and risks and allowed the freedom to choose which options fit you best, and what risks you are willing to take. Why is that important? Because you are not me, and I am not you, and there is no one-size-fits-all solution to every dilemma in life, despite what the CDC, AMA, AAP, and your OB's office or "hospital protocol" lead you to believe.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #58
808mamaof3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I tested negative with my two previous pregnancies but this thread is bothering/worrying me as I have my GBS test on Wednesday for this current pregnancy. FX I'm negative again...

I guess due to my medical training/education for my job, I tend to side with getting antibiotics, but wouldn't begrudge another mama who doesn't.

Its kind of just another mommy-war decision where you're wrong (according to someone) no matter what your choice is. Just like with circ, or vax, you need to do you own research and make a decision as to what you feel is most important to you and whether or not you can live with the consequences of your choice.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #59
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

As mentioned in the other thread about this, I do not agree with denying the antibiotics when you've tested positive.

A friend of mine couldn't get the antibiotics because she's allergic to them (they tried other stuff, but it wasn't as effective). Baby was taken to a NICU an hour away from mom and mom had to wait until she was discharged to join her child, then live in a hotel room and visit her baby every 2 hours until he was out of the nicu. About 10 days or so, I believe.

There will always be people who didn't get it who have good, positive stories to tell. But, it's too risky if you ask me. If you deny the antibiotics, then please try to get into a hospital with a good NICU so that you can atleast be close to your baby if they get put into one.

Getting the antibiotic was fine with me. It was about 15minutes an hour that I had to be hooked up to an IV - the rest of the time, I was free to walk, shower, do whatever I wanted while I labored.

and if you do intend to refuse, I would do every single homebirth type method you can to protect baby. There are lots of options other than antibiotics. Not all will work with your individual body the same way that they work for other mommas.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #60
MrsFields
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_to_DJM

I don't know if this will make you feel better, but I am allergic to 3 antibiotics, and my kids don't seem to have any problem with them. I know at least for me, my allergies didn't pop up until later- when I was in my teens.
Thanks! That is very reassuring!
MrsFields is offline   Reply With Quote