Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2013, 06:55 AM   #1
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Recaro vs. Britax

I am researching both the Britax Frontier85 and the Recaro PorSport. I know as of July 2011 Recaro started doing longer harnass length.

According to the Britax site, the seated shoulder height specs on the seat was 12-20 inches. I called Recaro since I couldnt find it on their site and the customer service lady said it was 18". That seems a little low to me..

Does anyone have a newer Recaro ProSport that can verify that for me? Overall it seems like a much sturdier seat with metal construction and it looks more comfortable, but DS is tall so when it comes time to get him a new seat, I want him to be in the 5 point harnass as long as humanly possible.

thanks!

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Recaro vs. Britax

The 18" measurement for the ProSport is correct. No 90 lb child will fit in that seat harnessed.

A couple of points to consider:

1. We have no proof that metal framed seats are safer than those without metal frames. The companies that make the seats choose not to release their crash test data.

2. We have no proof that a child that is at least 4 years old, 40 lbs, and has the maturity to sit properly at all times is safer in a harness. Now I'm not saying to run about and put 4 year olds in boosters. Most kids don't have the necessary maturity until they're 5 or 6 years old. Before someone throws out the race car driver analogy, race car drivers have Hans Devices that immobilize their heads and protect their necks to prevent internal decapitation and since children's car seat does not have these protections, it's not a fair comparison.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to harness for a long time. The Frontier is the tallest seat but for most kids, it's overkill. A properly fitted, properly used booster is a very safe choice for a child who is old enough and big enough and possesses the required maturity to ride in a booster. It's far more important to rear face for as long as possible than it is to harness for as long as possible. We have the proof that rear facing is the most protection you can provide.

Last edited by monica-m; 01-08-2013 at 08:28 AM.
monica-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
90924teeth
Registered Users
seller

I have both and aside from safety the recaro's straps are way easier to maneuver. The Britax are stiff and a pain especially now during winter when the babies clothes get thicker.
90924teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90924teeth View Post
I have both and aside from safety the recaro's straps are way easier to maneuver. The Britax are stiff and a pain especially now during winter when the babies clothes get thicker.
You need to be extremely careful with thick clothing in a car seat.

http://carseatsmadeeasy.blogspot.com...in-winter.html
Old 01-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90924teeth
It's not safe to bundle baby/kiddo in their seat, beneath the straps. Too-heavy clothing and coats can compress in an accident leaving too much slack in the harness. It's best to use normal clothing and thin layers (fleece is great!) with a poncho/blanket tucked over the harness.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
I have no experience with Recaro. I do have a Frontier85 and I love it. It will be too much harness for my kids (they're not large and we typically move to full time boosters sometime between 6-7) but I like the seat and I got a great deal.

The Frontier will likely harness longer.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
ericsmom99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We have both and I like both. My son will outgrow the Recaro much sooner that the Britax. I think Recaro is more plush and comfy but if your son is tall I would do the Britax for sure! Both are very nice seats.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I <3 my ProSport. I measure 18.25" or so on the top harness setting. To give you an idea, my average 5 year 4 month old just moved up to the top slots, so has a couple inches growing room. I expect he'll be harnessed another year or so, and I expect the ProSport to get him there easily. It is a VERY nice seat. He sleeps in it great with no head slump.

In booster mode, the seatbelt fit is awesome. I don't anticipate using it as a booster full-time for him...his sister will probably get it when he moves to a booster and he'll get a dedicated booster, but if the need ever arises, it's there.

That said, I'm ISO a trade for a Frontier right now, just because I want one! They are also nice seats, and, as was mentioned, have taller top slots.
ETA: not trading my PS for a Frontier. Trying to trade my True Fit Premier!

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
genevievej84
Registered Users

I had both (I have since sold the Recaro) and we all preferred the Frontier. Don't really have any specifics on why.

One silly thing that bugged me about the prosport was that the awesome big headwings always seemed really high compared to where my child's head was, even when the harness was at the correct height for kiddo. Maybe my kids have really short necks, but it annoyed me that the head wings only went down to the middle of my kids ears.

Both are really great seats, but we stuck with the frontier.
genevievej84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had my DD in both at Buy Buy Baby, and she strongly preferred the Frontier. I would have kiddo sit in both and try.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote