Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Are Some People Just Less Prone To Stomach Illness?

I actually hate to post something like this because Murphy's law says I'll get a stomach bug....but I'm dying of curiousity....

Are some people less prone to stomach illness? I haven't had a stomach bug in over a decade and can only remember being stomach sick about 4 or 5 times in my whole life (with my memory starting at around age 5 and I'm 33 now) and one of those times I'm pretty sure was food poisoning.

I DO get tummy aches now and then, and sometimes the whole problem is out the back end, if you know what I mean. My oldest is 5 and has never had a stomach bug. My 2yo had one last year, though no one else got it. Now that I think about it, hubby and I have been together for 9 years and he only had it once in all that time. All my kids got the rotovirus vaccine, too.

So, what's your experience? Do most people get it yearly, or does it lessen as you get older? Or are some people just less prone to it? And why?

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Are Some People Just Less Prone To Stomach Illness?

I think so. I ALWAYS get strep throat. You can't even talk about it in front of me without me getting it. But, my husband always gets stomach viruses.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Food poisoning aside, I've gone 17 years without vomiting. I think that's combination of not being exposed much to the various stomach bugs (norovirus, rotovirus) and my natural response to gastrointestinal illness. Like you, I deal with it in my lower intestine and it goes down the toilet.

I've definitely had more exposure to gi viruses in the last 3 years since I'm now surrounded by nieces, nephews, and my own 2 year old. So far, I've only caught a gi bug once last year. Whereas, DH catches a stomach bug every 6 months or so. His response varies, but he pukes with every other gi illness. I wonder if he needs to wash his hands more....
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think so. Our immune systems are so different. My nephew catches EVERYTHING. He ends up in the ER a dozen or so times every winter. Me? This is the first cold I've had in five years? Maybe six?
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I'm sure some people are, but I think a lot more of it is due to the health of your gut and your immune system. It is also going to be affected by how often you come into contact with it, of course. I mean, I would expect a nurse or teacher to be more likely to get it than a construction worker, for instance.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I guess the stomach virus raged through the school this last November, but I didn't hear about it until it was over. My kid in school puts her hands in her mouth all the time. I have no idea how we escaped it.

It will also go through my workplace about once a year and almost everyone gets it. I hand sanitize like crazy when I hear about the first person, but am generally not a hand sanitizer person. In fact, I chew my nails, so I know I'm getting germs like crazy. I wonder if that has somethign to do with it.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm not sure. Maybe people are just less prone to illness than others? It seems like someone we know is always sick and some are constantly sick. But since DH and I got married 4 years ago we have been sick 3 times. The kids have been sick twice. I have had the stomach bug once in my teen and adult life. It was last February and we all caught it. It's because my DH's work can't let people stay home if they are sick and don't have enough people working so illness just spreads around constantly. The only times we have been ill were here at this unit. I hate it and I'm so ready to move!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

Yes, I think that is definitely true that some people are more prone to stomach illness than others (and illness in general, too). It seems like 1-2x/year everyone we know has some terrible stomach flu. Like you, once in a while - maybe a couple times a year - I will get a belly ache. But I can only remember one time in my adult life that I've thrown up (outside of a few alcohol related events in college ) - maybe it was mild food poisoning. And I've eaten at some pretty divey places and eaten some pretty cheap sushi in my day. My two year old has never had any stomach issues or thrown up. We are not germaphobes by any means - rarely use hand sanitizer. Surely, we are exposed to less since we don't go to daycare or school, but we go to some pretty dirty places like the library, bounce house, even the PlayPlace at McDonald's...

My mom stays home from work a few times a year due to stomach issues; she works in an office. I don't know why it is the way it is though.
BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
mekat
Registered Users

Those that are prone to stomach viruses may not always have stomach viruses. I know because my son has gut issues. Anything he gets even an ear infection will cause gastric distress but that doesn't mean everything he gets is a stomach virus. It is just that when he feels unwell it kicks his gut issues into over drive. Hopefully that makes sense sometimes it is hard to explain to people who don't have to live it.

Last edited by mekat; 01-08-2013 at 11:49 AM.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My two year old has never had any stomach issues or thrown up.

That's amazing. Even though we don't have stomach illness, every single time one of them gets a cold, I can guarantee I'll be cleaning up a snot barf. Ew. And let's not forget all the times they've choked on food. Double Ew.