Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
So I am 40+5 today with second pregnancy. I have a really good OB who isn't pushing an induction. I had a NST yesterday that was great.

i was induced with my first at 40+6 after having no signs of labor and a really low bishop's score. This was after having a NST witj something the mw didn't like even though a second one later that day was fine.

My induction a miserable 4 day experience. I did everything to avoid it, dtd, walking, acupuncture, nip stim, EPO, self hypnosis, membrane sweep and did not get so much as a BH contraction.

This time I haven't done anything because I felt like all that stuff was a waste of time. But this time, I've been having BH for a month and last night I had a couple "real" contractions that lasted about 25 seconds each. That was about 8 pm and then nothing.

Is this the start of something? At some point do the BH turn into "real" contractions? I've been 2 cm and 50% effaced for 2 weeks. Am I deluding myself that I might go into labor without an induction? Dr gave me a tentative induction date of Monday and wants me to see it as a backup plan rather than a deadline. I have so much anxiety about this.

Advertisement

Last edited by AniMommy; 01-08-2013 at 10:52 AM.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to tell if labor has started

It could go from BH's to full blown labor. Each pregnancy is different. My friend is a L&D nurse and she says that women tend to have more contractions at night because that's when we are more "at rest" and tend to notice things more.

You could very possibly go into labor on your own this time. I think I read that the average pregnancy for first time moms is 41w3d.
You can encourage labor to start with walking, DTD, visualization, relaxation. Try not to stress yourself out. Your body will have a much harder time going into labor if it senses something is wrong.
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
wrensmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I usually have a lot of BH contractions and I remember with my second birth I thought that was all they were... but then I realized my water was leaking and the contractions got stronger (I think I was 40+5). I hope yours turn into real contractions too! It's so hard to say since everyone is different. I agree that you should try to relax, but I know it's easier said than done...
Old 01-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a few of those mild contractions 2 nights in a row (at 40 + 5 and 6) before labor started. I got all excited for nothing. When it did start it was fast and unmistakable. You're doing the best thing right now; try not to stress about when it will begin. I know it's hard, though.