Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #21
L&MsMamma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreternity
Oh, I can post pics because I'm in my living room right now! This is exactly how it looks at the moment. My son and I have been playing so bins are out and it's messy. We have a couple of large borrowed toys (the plastic kitchen) that need to be returned to friends but otherwise, we have the tv stand with bins, an easel, a hidden basket with big building blocks (some on the floor, as you can see) and my DD's cradle. I finally like my living room. We redid it over Xmas, splurged on a tv (Kijiji!) and the stand/cubby and the carpet I also scored on Kijiji. My only issue is the cradle. DD's grandfather made it for her and she used it as a baby. So it's a full size cradle! Holds dolls and blankets at the moment but not sure what to do with it in the long run. He also made my son a gorgeous full size rocking horse that is in the basement living room at the moment and I would like it upstairs....anyhow, I digress

The third picture is the play kitchen that lives off the living room. I sat in the couch to take the picture. I switch the easel and kitchen back and forth to mix it up. And for reference, my kitchen/dining is on the other side of that large staircase and my front entryway is directly down the hall from the play kitchen.

P.S. we also do not do toys in the bedroom (books only). This is everything we have. One blue bin holds some dress up clothes, one is wooden train/blocks, one is little people type toys and the others are a mix. One is empty. We have 2 of the same bins on top of our fridge that hold play doh and rainy day arts and crafts supplies, games and puzzles. My kids are almost 3 and almost 1 so I can't leave the this stuff out at the moment. But using the same bins (Dollarama, $2 each) keeps things streamlined throughout my downstairs.

Where did you get/what brand is that kitchen set? It is so cute!

Advertisement

L&MsMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:23 AM   #22
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Photos of toy storage in the living room please :)

These are kinda old so not everything's the same, but the toy storage is The baskets under the hearth and the ottoman store toys, all the kids books (besides seasonal books we store to rotate) are on the bookshelf.
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #23
indigo152
Registered Users
seller

I use large baskets from Michael's craft store that match the wall color of my living room. The baskets each hold different types of toys - dolls, musical instruments, Little People toys, and small misc toys. There is also a basket I use to hold children's DVDs.
The shelf the baskets are on is the IKEA Lack shelf in espresso. Having large baskets makes clean up time much faster. We do also have a wooden play kitchen on the other side of the living room. All of the kitchen items fit underneath. We have a small bookcase in a corner between our couch and loveseat that I designated as a reading nook.

Attachment 130367

Attachment 130370

Attachment 130371

Last edited by indigo152; 02-18-2013 at 02:43 PM.
indigo152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #24
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Finally got a pic of ours. These are all the toys except for 'special' toys the boys keep in their room and the dollhouse and cradle in DD's room.

On Top: Metal Tonka Forklift, Plan Toys Pirate Ship, Magnetic Puzzle, Dollhouse
Top row: Duplos, Lego Mini-figures, Puzzles/Games (we rotate a few out at a time), Magnatiles
Middle row: Cars/Trains, Play Food, Wooden Blocks, Guys/Action Figures
Bottom row: Wooden Train Tracks, Play Food, Wooden Blocks, Animals- Schleich/Toob

The Scientist (8) & The Entertainer (6)

Last edited by ~Laura~; 01-15-2013 at 06:10 PM.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #25
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Laura~ View Post
Finally got a pic of ours. These are all the toys except for 'special' toys the boys keep in their room and the dollhouse and cradle in DD's room.

On Top: Metal Tonka Forklift, Plan Toys Pirate Ship, Magnetic Puzzle, Dollhouse
Top row: Duplos, Lego Mini-figures, Puzzles/Games (we rotate a few out at a time), Magnatiles
Middle row: Cars/Trains, Play Food, Wooden Blocks, Guys/Action Figures
Bottom row: Wooden Train Tracks, Play Food, Wooden Blocks, Animals- Schleich/Toob

I really like how sturdy your shelves/cabinet seems. perfect for rambunctious littles.
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #26
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Indigo152, what a fabulous wood kitchen stove. I like how there is some "curve" to it.
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #27
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadmare View Post
I really like how sturdy your shelves/cabinet seems. perfect for rambunctious littles.
It's reclaimed pallet wood. Weighs a ton, but very sturdy.
The Scientist (8) & The Entertainer (6)
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #28
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

The dress up area will be moving to DDs room as soon as I get a lightweight mirror to hang in her room (this mirror is really heavy). The other used to have more toys and less books, but I got sick of tripping over toys left on the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	130553  
Old 01-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #29
gghmommy
Registered Users

We are not minimalist, but I love looking here for tips! I have been putting toys in bins and rotating. For us it works better than everything always available. I have 4 plastic totes, not all are full by any means, so there's room for new things as 2yo DD gets more advanced and newbie due in the next 4 weeks! will be able to have things rotate. These totes have been stored behind our play kitchen that sat at an angle with small 3 shelf book shelf on one side, tv in antique armoire on other side. I just moved the kitchen to DD's room today along with her play criib and doll diaper bag and stuff. Otherwise her room has a bed, night stand, dresser and small basket of books. I'll keep the kitchen toys in a smaller tote in closet so she can't play when she should be sleeping, but will come out for regular play- with baby coming and the fact our house is small and I can hear everything, I'm ok with her playing with some toys out of sight. For now the totes will be stored behind the couch which sits at an angle, mainly to keep LO from cords to laptop, lamp, printer... they'll be out of sight. What we do to rotate is that one tote is unpacked into the small bookshelf, sometimes utilizing various baskets to keep like things together, like cars for instance. DD plays with one tote of toys for a few days then it gets packed up and another comes out. DD plays better with each set of toys and pieces don't get lost.
gghmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #30
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Ours is WAY too colourful/busy for me but we need the foam mats for warmth + they were free, our toy storage was also a birthday present for dd1 one year. I would prefer something less stimulating.

Terrible phone pictures but you get the idea.

The kitchen is in our kitchen & the toy area in our dining room.