Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2013, 06:51 AM   #41
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Re: So tired of the screaming/crying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaspice View Post
Can you move bedtime up a little? The fact that he falls asleep every time that he is in his room too long makes me think he might need a little more sleep. Maybe a growth spurt or something. Try moving it up 15 min at a time until you find a sweet spot.

My other suggestion is to try to be very matter of fact and non emotional. Don't let him have power over your emotions. It will just feed the behavior. Just be like, "this is the way it is. You did x, so now y happens." And stick to it.
Honestly, I've been thinking that I need to do this anyway, but it's hard. I'm going to have to suck it up.

I feel like they already go to bed SO early. They are in bed between 7:15 and 7:30, and asleep between 8 and 8:30, typically. Putting them to bed at 6:45 - 7pm just seems wrong.

Advertisement

leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #42
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
Honestly, I've been thinking that I need to do this anyway, but it's hard. I'm going to have to suck it up.

I feel like they already go to bed SO early. They are in bed between 7:15 and 7:30, and asleep between 8 and 8:30, typically. Putting them to bed at 6:45 - 7pm just seems wrong.
And yet, having them in bed by 6:45 and being "free" for the evening sounds so wonderful.

Honestly though, I was thinking about coming back and suggesting putting him to bed earlier. It really might help.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #43
mamaspice
Registered Users

Kids need a lot of sleep! They are learning and growing and developing so fast.

Try it for a few weeks and see if it makes a difference. If he starts waking up too early, back it off a bit.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #44
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

ok, a few things.

I didn't read all the responses, so forgive me if I missed something.

I don't think he's getting enough sleep. I also think he's eating too much junk food. Pop tarts, chocolate milk, hot dogs.... junk food.

But besides all of that, I just went through this (and who knows, it might not be over yet) with my DD who will be 6 at the end of this month. She recently had a complete and utter meltdown over a hairclip. A BROKEN HAIRCLIP. I wanted to pull my hair out. I was so irritated.

She is normally sweet and sincere and well mannered and busy but happy. So the past few weeks, she's just been really "off".... of course, we also have a ton going on.....

But Today and yesterday she seems to be a totally different kid. So it seems to have just blown over after a few weeks.

I am also expecting. And I think for us, it was a combination of junk food (cause our kitchen is out of service right now), not enough attention, a new baby coming, and her sleep schedule being off.

I don't know how bedtime works at your house, and I am not going to attempt to tell you how to parent. BUT I will tell you this....

Here, Kindergartners still have a mandatory 30 min nap period in school. Is that the case where you live?

In our household, bedtime and naptime is completely mandatory. I absolutely DO NOT CARE how much you don't want to sleep, you will lay down and be quiet for a set period of time. EVERYDAY. It is part of our routine and is totally non-negotiable, and has been that way since birth for all of my kids.

My DD is nearly 6 and still naps an average of an hour a day, sometimes two, and also sleeps about 10-12 hrs per night.

If she goes more than a day or two without her nap, she turns into a beast. TOTAL.NIGHTMARE.

I just bought some Calms Forte last week to help ease her back into her normal sleep routine b/c she had gotten so insane with her behavior, and it was getting beyond ridiculous, and the only thing I could think to help start the fix for it was to work on her sleep schedule. Two days of normal sleep (along with routine and discipline) got her right back on track in no time.

You know your kid better than anyone else. Esp internet people. But I am just saying, I think sometimes the importance of a regular sleep schedule for kids (AND ADULTS) is really underestimated. That's been my experience anyway.

I hope - whatever it is! a stage, lack of sleep, bad diet, etc - your DS is back to himself in no time flat and you can feel more at peace as your due date approaches!
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #45
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

ETA: instead of going by the clock, we go by the sun (generally) in our house.

Night time is when it gets dark. Obviously this doesn't work everywhere, but I've found it offers a more natural rhythm to things.

My kids wake up around 7-730am when the sun comes up, and go to bed around 6-7pm when the sun sets. It's dark outside and they know dark = night time and night time = sleep time. Who cares what the clock says? That's just a man made thing anyway!
Old 01-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #46
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

kiliki you said it wonderfully. hope the mom can find a good solution.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #47
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Okay... first of all, my kids do not eat a lot of junk food. Honestly, everyone just needs to get that out of the "reasons" that he's acting this way. I'm not trying to be rude being honest. Yes, there are days that he has substandard choices (I can't control what they serve at school), but 90% of the time, the things that he consumes is healthy. Lastnight for dinner he had strawberries, blueberries, string cheese, pomegranate, and half of a deli sandwich (lettuce, olives, pickles, cheese, turkey, wheat bread). THOSE are the kinds of things that he eats when he's at home. His behavior does not change, regardless of what he eats. On the days that he has pizza at school, vs. a chef salad, the behavior is still the same. I REALLY don't think it's what he's eating.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #48
leyash
Registered Users
seller

I am going to try to put him to bed earlier and see if it helps. He does not take a nap at school... they do not even have lay down/rest time. He doesn't here at home, either. The problem is, the earlier he goes to bed, the earlier he gets up. For example, during Christmas break, we had a few days where our schedule was off because everyone was sick. We were all going to bed at 8-9pm, and various kids/adults were up all through the night, not feeling well. When we got back on our schedule, bed was at 7:30-8. Well, because they didn't have school, I didn't set the alarm clock. The first day or two that he was feeling better, he was up at around 7-8. The last 6 days before they went back to school, he was in bed between 8 and 8:30, and was up at 5:30-6. This is how he is on a regular basis. I think the only reason he sleeps until 6:30 when I get him up during the week now, is because he's tired from school. If I give him a nap, an 8pm bedtime is absolutely not going to happen. He will fight me tooth and nail, and end up not going to sleep until 10-11pm, I can promise you. Nap times don't work well around here.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #49
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
Okay... first of all, my kids do not eat a lot of junk food. Honestly, everyone just needs to get that out of the "reasons" that he's acting this way. I'm not trying to be rude being honest. Yes, there are days that he has substandard choices (I can't control what they serve at school), but 90% of the time, the things that he consumes is healthy. Lastnight for dinner he had strawberries, blueberries, string cheese, pomegranate, and half of a deli sandwich (lettuce, olives, pickles, cheese, turkey, wheat bread). THOSE are the kinds of things that he eats when he's at home. His behavior does not change, regardless of what he eats. On the days that he has pizza at school, vs. a chef salad, the behavior is still the same. I REALLY don't think it's what he's eating.
Relax. You don't need to be defensive.

Behavior issues caused by food don't disappear the same day a kid starts eating healthy food. It takes time to see a change.

I think the fact that you referred to pop tarts as "breakfast " and then the meals you listed out are what make me think diet could be to blame. I love pop tarts, esp the brown sugar and cinnamon ones. But they are total crap, and no way are they a "breakfast food", they are junk food. No one should be eating pop tarts and think they are actually "breakfast".

I also noticed he doesn't seem to get a lot of protein. Maybe he is having low blood sugar? That would cause moodiness and sleepiness. I tend to have low sugars, and I am fairly certain my oldest DD does too. If I am not careful to avoid junk and feed her lots of fruits, veggies, and protein, she gets out of sorts. Combined with sleep issues, she can morph into an unrecognizable wild child.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #50
Kiliki
Registered Users
seller

Have you considered Calms Forte for bedtime? It helped us a lot when DD was all nutso with her sleep. She would lay down at, like 8pm but not sleep until. 11 or later. It helped her fall asleep quicker, so now she is in bed and falls asleep within an hour. Might be something to look into.

Last edited by Kiliki; 01-11-2013 at 01:21 PM.