Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
crystaldawn_23
Registered Users
seller

I want to buy a new home... totally NOT thrifty.

So yeah... We are a family of 6. We currently live in a newer home (actually we are the first owners). We got a decent deal at the time (8 yrs ago) because it was actually repossessed so we DO have equity which is nice. It's 4 bedrooms and 2 baths and I am fine with it... I LOVE our neighborhood.

However this is our dilemma. My grandmother owned a large home. When she was living it was split into apartments. She lived in one half and then the other half was divided into three apartments. It's a historic home. After my grandmother passed away approx 2 yrs ago my aunt and her husband purchased the home... they've completely redone everything and combined it into ONE huge home. So it's now 6 beds and 4.5 baths. Their goal was to do a bed and breakfast. They have decided that they no longer want to go the bed and breakfast route so they have been talking about selling so they can build.

They do not want to sell outside the family. Honestly the only one really interested is us. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this house. It's where I basically grew up. My family moved a lot and gramma's was always "home" It is directly across the street from the elementary school which for us is awesome because of course we have four kids

I just know that it's NOT a thrifty move. We do not NEED that much space but I want it. We've figured out that financially our house payment would be slightly more (approx $20 a mo), heat would be slightly more ($200 for the year)... everything else is the same.

I haven't talked to many people about it. My in laws say that we would be crazy to give up our "brand new house" for an old one. My brother who does construction says we would never in a million years be able to build that size home for close to what they are asking... Ugh.

Unfortunately I think that a lot of my thought process is based on the history of the house and not necessarily our need or desire to move... Any thoughts? I'd love to share pics too if anyone is interested!

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Delaney21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I want to buy a new home... totally NOT thrifty.

What is the condition of the house? How much is the upkeep going to cost you? Windows/furnace/roof/etc.?
Delaney21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
Pea_inthepod
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like an amazing house. I would MUCH rather have a house that meant something to be and had a history and character of an older loved home, then a new one (but thats just me) If it were us...I would be jumping on it (and we are VERY conservative with money) Especially if your bills wont be that much more!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
crystaldawn_23
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaney21 View Post
What is the condition of the house? How much is the upkeep going to cost you? Windows/furnace/roof/etc.?
The windows were all replaced with the renovations (aside from the stained glass which they kept as a historic piece, so maybe 3 in the main house and 6 in the sunporch), the bottom of the home is sided, the upper is painted which needs to be painted on average every 8-10 yrs (they would paint before we buy so we would have 8-10 yrs). The furnace and hot water heater are new.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
KiltedKingdom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For me, emotional attachment means something. How does your DH feel about it? If my DH was okay with it, and the numbers were as you listed, I would do it in a heartbeat.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

If the house is in excellent repair and your costs are not going up by much, I would move. Do you need a new house? No, but life is not always about what we need.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
crystaldawn_23
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedKingdom View Post
For me, emotional attachment means something. How does your DH feel about it? If my DH was okay with it, and the numbers were as you listed, I would do it in a heartbeat.
DH has been really supportive. He is excited about the extra space. Our only big concern has been the possibility of allergies because he has a lot of allergy and asthma issues (as do our youngest two). We are supposed to spend the weekend at their home the end of the month so see if he seems to be affected. We go there regularly and he's never had an issue so I guess we will see

The emotional attachment is not something I thought that much about until more recently. My mom and gramma died the same day and this is the last place I saw both of them. Long story but I know that it plays a part. Not to mention it's where I had all of my Christmas' growing up etc. That's one of the reasons I want outside opinions... I mean I don't think my dh would say no because he knows that it's a sensitive issue for me. I think he knows that I will regret it if we don't jump on the chance while we have it.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
lookatreestar
Registered Users

Oh I'd so do it but I am a vintage/history freak and I would love to raise my kids somewhere that had so many memories. (We just moved into my grandmas old house and honestly it just has such wonderful vibes )

lookatreestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
crystaldawn_23
Registered Users
seller

Ok... now I want to post pics lol Some are from my phone so will likely be small.

From the front. There is a detached two car garage in the back with a work room upstairs.

Master

Old 01-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #10
crystaldawn_23
Registered Users
seller

Master bath.