Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: help me make a decision about progesterone

I do IVF so I am in a bit of a different ball park. However I am higher risk then IVF this time so I know 2 protocols for progesterone.

In a normal IVF pregnancy you are not producing any hormones until the baby makes you. My experiance is at 9 weeks they start weaning me from the progesterone till at 13 weeks I am completely off of it. That is how it worked for my son (IVF baby).

This time there is concern that I will have issues. So my peri is keeping me on 200 mg Prometrium twice a day orally till at least 16 weeks. Keep in mind, I am not producing anything on my own, the baby makes me produce hormones but I am not.

So there could be a school of thought for staying on or getting off of it.

Sorry I can't be of more help then that. Good luck!

Jennifer (39) - Wife since 12/2003 with 5 children - 3 waiting for me in heaven , and 2 delighting me everyday ! Lymphoma survivor and mother to baby born post pelvic radiation!
3 ladybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

progesterone is what keeps you pregnant as the placenta does not function til about the 12-14 weeks. so if you have too low progesterone, think of it like an heat lamp on an egg. no/low progesterone means little to no heat on your egg so its compromised. if your levels do not increase over time, you will most likely lose a struggling embryo.
now sometimes prog will be fine with one pregnancy and not with another. I feel that ha to do with weight, how you eat and exercise/stress. as they can all affect hormones. for instance those who eat soy have high amounts of estrogen and may be off balance or not get pregnant easily.

since I have been in your place and played roullete, I would say take it till 14 weeks but do it vaginally. by mouth you will feel drunk and not be able to function. I have opted to not take progesterone a couple times and lost one. w my last child as well and this one I weaned off early. I had strong enough symptoms so I felt safe to try it out a bit by weaning off.

wanted to add for the preterm meds, its the same just in a lower dose. most women take 200mg in early pregnancy and for preventing preterm labor they give 100mg
unassisted, homebirthin mom Had I not birthed children into the world and become a mother... I would not know true love, laughter or insanity.
homebirthmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

I have has 3 losses (18w and 2 early losses), but my progesterone levels were always fine as was everything else that my RE tested for. I went back to my regular OB and he suggested progesterone as a "can't hurt, might help" precaution along with baby asprin. I'm almost 30 weeks now with a very active little one in there, so I have a good feeling that we'll have our rainbow baby this time!

I took the progesterone vaginally at bed time because I had HORRIBLE side effects when I took it orally. I was sick and miserable and felt like a zombie when I took it orally, but it was much more tolerable when I took it vaginally. I always took my vitamins before bed, so timing didn't factor into that.

I ended up staying on from 8w until 18w or so, since I had some issues with bleeding (SCH and low lying placenta) until then, and then I tapered off of the progesterone by 20 w. I can't say that it was the "cure" per se, but it certainly didn't seem to hurt, and if it's affordable and you can handle the side effects, it might just help.
Erica - Married to Jeff, Momma to Gibson, our rainbow baby Josie, and furbaby Boston Terriers Shelby & Penny, forever missing our angel babies Marshall Feb '11 and our Beans Nov '11 & Feb '12
emeyer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
Registered Users
Formerly: lovinmomma24
My Mood:

I've always been able to stop them around 14 weeks, though I continued on with the shots with one pregnancy because I was having (braxton hicks) even in the first trimester with that pregnancy. everything worked out fine, though. I have taken the progesterone with 3 pregnancies now. I'm super moody and tired,too but it sure beats losing a baby.
Homeschooling Momma to 19 yo DD, 16yo DS , 13 yo DD, 5yoDD,4 yo DD, 1 yo DD , 1 month old DD and 6 angels I'll get to see in Heaven one day.
snugglesnsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #15
Registered Users

DP & I each have done fertility treatment (at different times) for over a year. Same RE, but about 3 yrs between our treatments. They had DP on Prometrium vaginally starting 2dpo for every (?) IUI. I think when she got pg w/ DD she was taking it orally AND vaginally. They've had me on Crinone (gel) vaginally following every IUI, & now also following IVF.
Carrie. Wifey to F, Mama to Baby Bear, Nugget, and Teeny.
carriek38 is online now   Reply With Quote