Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
Liz N
Registered Users
seller
seller

Would you baby sit? What should I be worried about?

I am a SAHM of 4.5 yo and 20 mo girls. I have a friend with an almost 2 yo boy who we meet up with regularly at parks and have over for playdates. She is a single mom and had been working part time or less. She just got a new job working full-time. Her current child care situation can be extended to take her son except for Friday afternoons. In talking to her about her new job, etc., I volunteered that if she had no other options I could take care of her son on Fridays, mostly thinking that I would be a fallback at best--not a primary option.

Maybe I volunteered too soon, because it turns out I am her first choice. She called today wanting to know if I was serious and I told her I would think about it over night. I don't really have any experience watching other peoples kids save some babysitting in high school and the occasional couple hours here and there for friends kids---nothing regular or for extended periods.

Any way, I would have to pick him up at his current day care at noon on Fridays, feed him lunch, put him down for a nap, and keep him until 5:30. She had offered to pay me but I don't even know how much to ask. Is $20-$25 too much? He gets along well with my girls, but that has only been for short 1-2 hour playdates, not all afternoon. Also, I tend to be paranoid about liability issues. What happens if he gets hurt, etc. while I am watching him? Finally, we regularly attend a local 0-5 age play group ( where I meet the friend actually) that we would either miss or have to take him along with---I don't mind taking him, but his mom is worried it would be too long of a day for him. Playgroup has been my main means of meeting other moms in the area.

So after that way too long description, would you do it? I want to help my friend out, but I don't want to obligate myself to something that isn't good for my family or make me liable.

Thanks in advance for any advice or input.

Advertisement

Last edited by Liz N; 01-08-2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Corrected title Corrected dd2s age
Liz N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
themaelane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I question if it would be easier to have him all day instead of loading your crew up.

I would *not* give up the playgroup.

$15-20 is what I'd get here for that, but check your area.

What about every other Friday?
ISO: NB covers/fitteds, flats, wool, 'big sister' stuff for a 4YO girl.
themaelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would you baby sit? What should I be worried about?

It's a half day that includes a nap? Yeah, I'd do it. It sounds like its pretty low key.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
Liz N
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's a head start program that he in, so I don't think she has the option to change the schedule ie. to make it M-Th there and I would have him on Friday.

Also, my dd2 is 20 months old---I had that wrong in my original post. So it would be nap time for 2 toddlers in the afternoon.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

I dislike watching other people's kids (and I'm a teacher!). I just always find it really inconvenient. Unless it was my BFFs kids (but she has no kids yet). With her kids it wouldn't matter if I was in a tank top and pajama shorts and let the kids watch toy story type of thing but it would matter to me with anyone else's kids.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:24 AM   #6
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Sounds like a drag. I wouldn't give up the playgroup and I would charge a wage I could be happy with, factoring in gas and such. I would also say that since this isn't something you're used to, you need to see how the kids do together and how the long day affects her son. It may not be a good situation, but time will tell.

I'd probably end up doing it for a few weeks and asking her to find another solution when she could if it didn't go smoothly.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:42 AM   #7
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's sounds like you like the IDEA of helping but not really actually doing it. Which is often the case when it comes to watching others kids. I never ever ever ever offer to watch anyone's kids ever- unless I'm prepared to do it, cause people always need help. Especially single working moms.

It's what 5.5 hours? I would totally do it. $15 is fairest, in terms of a 1/2 day rate. But since you have to pick him up- I'd ask for $20. The greatest thing I ever did was watch children for friends. My boys are now so used to ur, they welcome every child into our home with compassion and happiness. They've had a new baby brother for 3 weeks now and it's like the baby has always been here. My kids aren't jealous or anything. I've had friends kids for extended periods of time (a two week old baby for 3 weeks straight with mom just stopping in for visits. Milk delivery or an occasional overnight stay) so my boys know life is bigger than just them. They know I can love lots of kids and how to wait if a child is frying and mommy needs to soothe them. Idk. I find it a great opportunity..

But- you clearly aren't into it at the get go. Bad sign. You shouldn't do it out of guilt and then just quit in a few weeks. Thats hard cause sge's scrambling all over again and baby guy had to readjust..

Be honest with her and yourself. It's okay to say no. babysitting is not for everyone. Liabilty issues? Idk. Call your insurance. My homeowners covered me, without me needing to do anything special

Last edited by keen1981; 01-09-2013 at 04:43 AM.
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:04 AM   #8
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz N View Post

Also, my dd2 is 20 months old---I had that wrong in my original post. So it would be nap time for 2 toddlers in the afternoon.
So if your toddler is napping wouldn't you skip the play group? Or would you forego your toddler's nap to attend the play group?
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #9
Liz N
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thank you ladies for your input. You are all very astute in your questions and opinions.

As far as nap time, my dd2 usually eats lunch at playgroup and then goes down for a nap as soon as we get home, though often enough she falls asleep on the way home. For insurance, we currently live in weird temporary situation where we are renting part of my brothers house and he lives here too. He has home owners insurance, we do not. But, we are planning on moving in 3 weeks and will have renters insurance at that point.

After talking it over with DH last night, we came to much the same conclusion as your suggestions. I don't mind helping her out occasionally and watching him as a friend when she is in a pinch---which I have done a couple of times previously. But I just don't want to & am not comfortable making a longer term commitment to watch him and have her depend on me for that.

Thank you all again.