Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
eco-mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DD speech problems or normal?

So For the past couple of weeks, DD (who will be 3 in a couple of months) has started almost having a slight stutter (sp?) when she talks. It's mainly only when she is asking us a question I.e.

W-w-w-w-whaaat is he doing?

Or

I-I-I-I have some? (she doesn't say can yet, haha)

But she's doing it very often and I wasnt sure if it was something I should be concerned about or if it's normal for a child her age. Whenever she starts to do it I just stop her and say okay sweetie think about what it is you're going to say before you start to say it. Is that wrong of me to do? I'm not mean about it in any way, I just don't know if I should even bother saying anything? Any advice is very appreciated! Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
acwakip
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: DD speech problems or normal?

As far as I can remember, my older two did this for a short period of time. My daughter was worse than my son as she has always been very talkative. She would get so excited about what she wanted to say.

It really wouldn't hurt to have her evaluated though. From my experience with stuttering, it is better to not draw attention to it. Many times it isn't a "slow down" issue and that can increase frustration in the child. Listening intently to what she is trying to say is probably best. Also, repeat back to her what she said. If she says, "I-I-I-I-I have some?" You can say, "Did you say "Can I have some?" Modeling of good speech patterns is essential for young children, especially if they don't have all their sounds or words just yet.

If it becomes more prevalent, I would definitely suggest getting her evaluated.

Also, you might keep track of situations when she does this more. Play games with her (controlled environment) and she is she is more prone to do it when excited. Keeping a journal of this would also help a therapist in evaluating as certain patterns are not always exhibited in a clinical setting. An in-home therapist would be optimal since she would be in her comfort zone.

The below link has some good info (I know that there are a lot of opinions when it comes to treatment of dysfluencies, but I think it is pretty good information.)

http://www.d.umn.edu/~cspiller/stutt...age/do%27s.htm

Last edited by acwakip; 01-08-2013 at 11:39 PM.
acwakip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:40 AM   #3
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My younger ds( just turned 4 the other day) is VERY articulate. But lately he has been doing the same thing. I think 1) he is accruing these huge new words and he is trying to fit them in properly( and he does), and 2) he gets so excited. I notice he does it more when he is worked up about something.
Like pp mentioned, I just repeat it back correctly with out making a big deal over it.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:44 AM   #4
Cdra
Registered Users
seller
seller

My now 3 yr old did this when she was about 2.5. It was almost as if she couldn't decide what she wanted to say. It didn't last long and she now speaks very well for her age. I would trust my instincts and get it checked out if I thought it was something more.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:19 AM   #5
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My friend's son had this for a time but he did outgrow it as well. It may be nothing but just model the correct speech pattern is my thought. I would think if it goes on for more than say 6 months maybe I'd have it checked.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

If it's inconsistent and not getting worse, it's probably fine. If it's a true stutter, then it's better not to draw attention to it. Just wait patiently for her to finish. If it's really a stuttering issue, then drawing attention to it will make her nervous, which will tighten her muscles, which will make her stutter more, which will make her more nervous, etc. I wouldn't worry unless it starts getting worse/happening more often.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
cbridges
Registered Users

Kids generally have a big language burst between 2-5 and their mouths have trouble keeping up wih their brains. I would monitor for about 6 months and make sure it doesn't get any worse. Also if any part of her body is fluttering while the stuttering I would definitely get her evaluated. Do not draw attention to it and just be patient while she's getting to out.
cbridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbridges View Post
Kids generally have a big language burst between 2-5 and their mouths have trouble keeping up wih their brains. I would monitor for about 6 months and make sure it doesn't get any worse. Also if any part of her body is fluttering while the stuttering I would definitely get her evaluated. Do not draw attention to it and just be patient while she's getting to out.
All my boys did this between 2.5 and 3.5 years old. Their mouths could not keep up with their brains. It went away in like 6 months or so. I would say, slow down and think about it.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Yup. Two of my kids did it, too. My youngest was 1.5 when his started, though. He has some speech problems now (doesn't always talk clearly). He will be 5 in March. HOWEVER, we were in a bad accident in September 2011 in which he had severe brain trauma, and I am thinking it's more caused from that, than anything else.

I'd say if it lasts 6+ months, or gets worse (happens every time she talks), I'd get her seen. Other than that, I think it might be normal.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

This is the website my ped gives out...

http://kidshealth.org/parent/emotion...r/stutter.html
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote