Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #11
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

Re: DCP had a stroke today...what should I do?

I would line up temp care that has the option of becoming permanent. You have no way of knowing what her situation will be. By waiting you could be putting yourself in a deeper hole scrambling for care.

I hope she recovers quickly.

Advertisement

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't know how severe the stroke was. She required surgery to drain the blood or ease the pressure. My mom is a nurse and tells me that's pretty serious. I would guess she had the stroke at some point yesterday morning but didn't get help until after all the daycare kids went home at 5.

I was thinking a little more clearly this morning and remembered that we have a cousin who does not work and her dad who also does not work who might be able to help us out short term. I am going to email her today and at least apprise her of the situation and also hop on the childcare website and get some phone numbers.

Miracles happen every day, but I think DCP has a lot of things stacked against her right now.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

If someone called me to tell me her provider had a stroke, I'd take the child on a temporary basis, with the understanding that it could turn into a permanent thing. So, I think you can find some kind of backup for this week, look for someone more permanent for next week, and see how it goes from then on.

But, until then, send her lots of concern. There's nothing worse than thinking your daycare parents only care about one thing. Tell her..."don't worry... we can cover this, just get better"
Old 01-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would definitely start looking for care. Depending on the severity of the stroke, it could be months, and picking kids up may be difficult for a long time. You could always pull out of the new care later and go back to her, but I would not risk it with her not being able to keep kids safely for a long time.

You figure...a concussion you don't make kids take tests at school for at least 8 weeks. This is way way way worse.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #15
meeshkasheeba
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That is severe. Even if she does fully recover, it will take a while. I would be looking for more of a long term placement at this point. Docs don't like to make room unless they have to because once you open up the brain it is very susceptible to infection. That doesn't sound good. I hope they didn't have to remove a skull flap or anything like that. Draining is bad, but a skull flap is terrible. Good luck mama.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #16
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

The only update I saw today was that she's not slurring and that a CT scan had been done but that a lot could still go wrong.

I hope I'm not reading as only being worried about my family. Our DCP is family as much as anyone else we are actually related to. We are worried sick about her. But I have to do what's best for my family, too and I need to do it now.

I was somewhat hoping she's networked well enough with other DCP's and that someone would get wind of her story and step up and offer short term care. Maybe not necessarily for us, but for the rest of her families.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #17
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmisterkitty View Post
I hope I'm not reading as only being worried about my family. Our DCP is family as much as anyone else we are actually related to..
Not at all! We all know that you are concerned about her too.... Just don't let her know that you are scrambling. Make her think it's fine, no problem at all.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #18
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Also..ask your friends where their kids go, and are they happy there. Ask them if they'd call their provider to see if she has space. If she doesn't have space, she might know someone who does.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #19
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

i emailed my childless, non-working cousin today. I'm praying she is able to help.

I've got all the women in my workplace on the case and I have 2 phone numbers already. My sister spread the word at her workplace, so we'll see what she comes up with. My state supports a licensed childcare website that I will be checking today, too.

One of my friends brought up a good point - can our current DCP make us pay for this emergency leave? I am pretty sure it's not outlined in the contract unless this qualifies as sick time. I'm worried she will decide to close but still require us to pay for the last couple of weeks. It would be physically impossible for us to do that.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #20
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

I would at this point figure she's going to be out for several weeks if not months and look for alternative care. Most stroke victims I've known take months to recover, and some never fully recover. My mother still doesn't have much use of her left hand, and can't look after littles because of it - she can't lift them well, do up diapers etc. If it turns out that she's one of the lucky ones that is able to recover quickly then you're in good shape, but I wouldn't bank on that.

As for the emergency pay, that would depend on your contract.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote