Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:
Postpartum with mulitiples at home

This baby is due soon and we have 21 month old twin girls. It is just dawning on me now that the hubby will only be home for one, maybe two weeks tops. Any tricks or advice? We live in a 2-story house and my twins are still in diapers. My mom can help a little but she owns her own business.

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
Nickel+3
Registered Users
Formerly: nickel+2
seller

My Mood:
I didn't have twins when hazel was born, but my boys were 3 and 18 months. Luckily they were both out of diapers so I'm no help there. My husband also only stayed home for a few days. He was amazing though. He cooked a huge breakfast for everyone before work and made sure to give me a snack platter too. I just gave myself more wiggle room. The kids just snacked throughout the day instead of me standing up for 30 minutes to make a meal. Dh also made me a sandwich when he'd pack his lunch. My oldest didn't nap anymore, but he had quiet time in his room or in my room when the younger on took his nap so that I could take a nap too.
#4 due in October!
Nickel+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
thekuligs
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Postpartum with mulitiples at home

To do lists! And I got everything ready for the next day at night when the husband was home or after my twins (3) went to bad. All the basic stuff like clothes and shoes--but activities laid out and even all meals and drinks needed for the day prepared in advance and stowed away in order in the fridge.
Mom to: Clover (9) Violet (8), Twins; Scarlet & Ryland (6) & Thistle (2) #6 DUE Jan 2016 I write romance novels!
thekuligs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
3Munchkins1togrow
Registered Users
seller

When we had my 3rd, my oldest had just turned 3 and my other was 14 months. My husband was deployed when I came home, so I literally had my dad drop me off at my house where my FIL was watching my older 2, we had lunch and they both left. I was alone from day 1. My wrap saved my life, I don't know what I would have done without the baby wrap. Dd was content to be in there most of the time, so I could tend to the boys as needed. She did however have severe reflux, she would choke and turn blue, so she was on medication for that almost immediately which was every 4 hours around the clock, as well as being an every 2 hour eater for 4 months. I had to have a watch. There was no winging it. After she ate I knew I had about 1.5 hours before we needed to do it again, so if the boys needed to eat, bathe, play anything I had to do it then. Household chores like laundry and dishes had to wait until the boys were in bed. As far as diapers went, I set up stations. I had the younger 2 still in diapers and my oldest had just potty trained. I kept diapers on both ends of the house, so I wouldn't have to run around looking for them. It wasn't quite multiples, but it was still a task. A lot of it is now a blur. I was operating on very little sleep, and had 3 different sets of needs that needed to be met with a preschooler, toddler, and infant. I survived and am better for it. Good Luck mama !
Old 02-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks ladies, keep the ideas coming! One of my biggest concerns is my girls are late walkers. They only walk a little and need help, we still carry them a lot.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
thekuligs
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpossible View Post
Thanks ladies, keep the ideas coming! One of my biggest concerns is my girls are late walkers. They only walk a little and need help, we still carry them a lot.
Have everything you need in one room!
Mom to: Clover (9) Violet (8), Twins; Scarlet & Ryland (6) & Thistle (2) #6 DUE Jan 2016 I write romance novels!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekuligs View Post

Have everything you need in one room!
Yup confinement. When DD was born DS was 16 mo. We came down stairs when everyone was ready and didn't go back up till bedtime.

Start helping the girls down the stairs by holding their hands. Get a sling or wrap for the new baby and use it when you need hands for the older girls.

Oh and for lunch and breakfast get as much ready the night before. Or portion stuff off so its quick and easy to get ready.

Ill come back when I think of some of the other things that were really helpful for us.

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

My mother in law got us a downstairs changing station so that helps but I still have to get the girls down stairs in the morning, upstairs for their nap, down stairs again then upstairs again for bed...

Good idea about trying to hold their hand, one of my DDs has limited motor ability on her left side so she will not be able to do that, of course she is the heavier baby!

Last edited by twinpossible; 02-05-2013 at 11:14 AM.
twinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
thekuligs
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
My mother in law got us a downstairs changing station so that helps but I still have to get the girls down stairs in the morning, upstairs for their nap, down stairs again then upstairs again for bed...

Good idea about trying to hold their hand, one of my DDs has limited motor ability on her left side so she will not be able to do that, of course she is the heavier baby!
After our new baby was born the twins no longer went upstairs for nap time. They were smart and they knew I couldn't come put them back in bed if I was downstairs and nursing the baby or whatever. They slept on the couch or on mats ont he floor. It was not worth trying to get them upstairs while holding or wearing a new baby. LOL
Old 02-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
thekuligs
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

Plus carrying any type of weight PP--not fun!