Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2013, 06:15 AM   #1
northknoxmomma
Registered Users
seller

Wool setting on FLer

My LG fler has a wool setting, but I have never had the courage to use it with our wool. But, ds is a VERY active toddler who loves to sit in the dirt, so I really want to start washing them in the machine. Any experience, advice? Do you use a specific kind of detergent like Woolite or can I use Tide?

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #2
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Wool setting on FLer

Don't use Woolite. If you want to get them clean from mud, food, etc. then yes I would use the Tide. Then they will have to be soaked and re-lanolized again of course. I do not have a FL or a wool setting but I wash all of my wool in the washer on the handwash setting. I have never had a problem with it. I use a bit of blue Dawn to clean them. I just don't have time to sit there and hand wash stuff anymore so I wait until it's all dirty and do a whole batch of about 8 woolies at once.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
tomandkara
Registered Users
seller

I wash interlock in the machine but I wouldn't personally do knitted wool in the machine for fear of felting it.
Find me on facebook and Hyena Cart to see my custom-dyed wool interlock, hybrid fitted diapers, and children's clothes! I stock Thursdays at 9:00 p.m. EST!
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
seacat
Registered Users
seller

It's a little scary the first time I have a fler and do wool on the wool/hand wash cycle. I would have time to do it otherwise. It works awesome and gets everything really clean. I wash with Tide and Dawn for lano build up. I have knits and interlock.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
savingmomof2boys
Registered Users
seller
seller

For those who do wash on this setting, do you use cold water? Also, after the wash do you take the wool out and do a lanolin soak in a seperated container?

Join me on Swag Bucks to earn Free Giftcards!

Also Earning CASH with Jingit!!
savingmomof2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
northknoxmomma
Registered Users
seller

Awesome! Thanks mamas! It has gotten to when I wash in the sink I have to wash/rinse several times to get all of the dirt out, and when you have a lot of wool, it is a PITA!

savingmom- When I push the button for wool/handwash it sets the temp to warm, I am sure other mamas can chime in to tell what theirs sets to. And I would definitely assume that yes, you need to take the wool and put in sink/basin/container/tub to lanolize.

Also- have you all ever had any problems with lanolin build up in your machine? Can I assume that it will not affect my other CDs? Do you run a tub clean afterwards or just not worry?
Old 01-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
seacat
Registered Users
seller

I wash mine on warm. It moves so slow I'm not worried about felting. I absolutely remove the wool from the washer and do a lano in our kitchen sink vs. do it in the washer. I've seen people do it in the washer, but that scares me and I soak overnight.

I haven't had any problems with lano build up in the washer because there usually isn't a ton on the wool by the time I wash it. No effect to my Cds. I've been doing it for about eight months or so. I don't run a clean cycle after either. Like I said I couldn't do wool without it. I washed six pieces last night in 30 min
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Wow! You learn something new every day. I'm so glad you asked, I wouldn't have recommended anything but Eucalan, and am glad to know regular detergent works.

When they aren't really grimy, I heartily recommend using Eucalan in your FLer. I've had great results ... I used Imse Vimse machine washable wool covers, and never had to lanolize washing them in Eucalan.