Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
Belbaby3728
Banned

Milk/bottles after 1 year

I have posted in pumping support too but thought might get more wide range answers here. I am slowly dropping back on how often I pump at work now. I only work 2-3 days a week, 8 hour days and away from dd about 9-9.5 hours those days with commute and sometimes work runs late.

She currently takes 2 or 3 2.5-3oz bottles a day while I am gone. Sadly I rarely pump what she takes so am looking to mix hemp milk in. (We are trying hemp milk first anyway). I know toddlers don't need milk/bottles as much as eating more solids, but I don't think she's anywhere near not ready to have them either. She has never taken to a pacifier, so her bottles are always one source of comfort when away from me.

I've been looking at some trainer cups but she doesn't use the few we have very well yet with water or kefir. Am I worrying too much about 2 days a week on bottle? (Soon will be just 2 days not 3 days a week).

I'm not even sure where I am going with this! Looking for others experiences with such as she is our first and I don't know what makes the most sense. I would like to get her down to 2 bottles a day before naps only if that makes sense even if I have to make the bottles a bit bigger- maybe 2oz breastmilk, 2oz hemp milk mixed.

Sorry if this makes no sense! I overanalyze things a lot!!

Advertisement

Belbaby3728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
kateroc
Registered Users
seller

Re: Milk/bottles after 1 year

Well, I will give you the disclaimer upfront that I'm kinda lenient about post-1 yr. bottles. My 16 month old still gets a bottle before nap and before bed, and DS1 also got those two bottles a day until he was 2. But, even if I felt more strongly (as my pedi thinks I should!) about getting him off the bottle sooner, I think you still have to treat it as a gradual process. A baby who doesn't use a sippy well isn't going to automatically give up bottles as soon as she turns 1. Definitely keep encouraging her to drink from a cup, but I wouldn't worry about taking away bottles until you feel completely comfortable that she can get all the milk she needs from a cup.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

How old is your LO? I think a young toddler actually does need some type of milk to still make up a good portion of their diet. I will say that my oldest was addicted to his bottle when I stopped nursing at 17 months. He would rather not drink anything than drink from a sippy. He could drink from a regular cup just fine so we just gave him an open glass during the day with meals at the table. Is that an option? Otherwise we just let him keep the morning and bedtime bottle (almond milk) until he was ready to move on. If he wanted one in the middle of the night we filled it with only water. He used them until almost 2. To me it was not the hill I wanted to die on and when he was ready he moved on. Personally I don't see what is so different about a sippy than a bottle. So if the bottle allows her to get what she needs I would not stress about it.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
Belbaby3728
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie View Post
How old is your LO? I think a young toddler actually does need some type of milk to still make up a good portion of their diet. I will say that my oldest was addicted to his bottle when I stopped nursing at 17 months. He would rather not drink anything than drink from a sippy. He could drink from a regular cup just fine so we just gave him an open glass during the day with meals at the table. Is that an option? Otherwise we just let him keep the morning and bedtime bottle (almond milk) until he was ready to move on. If he wanted one in the middle of the night we filled it with only water. He used them until almost 2. To me it was not the hill I wanted to die on and when he was ready he moved on. Personally I don't see what is so different about a sippy than a bottle. So if the bottle allows her to get what she needs I would not stress about it.
She just turned 1. I am not really concerned about bottle. I am more so trying to figure out how much she still needs and best way to split milk with what I am able to pump and how much she should drink. We nurse on demand whenever I am home and she still nurses a lot! My pumping output is just decreasing and I don't want to keep stressing over how much I pump.

She will drink from a cup but I have to hold for her or she will dump it. And she only takes small amounts right now via cup.

I just read lots of conflicting things on bottles after 1 year didn't know if should be trying her milk in a different type of cup. But I feel right now a bottle is still a huge source of comfort for her when I can not be there.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

we still give our 14.5 month old a bottle before nap and bed, i dont see that stopping anytime soon. It comforts him and helps him calm for sleep, i gave my oldest a bottle at bed until he was atleast 18 months

in fact none of my kids even started using cups at all until they were 14 months old
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbaby3728 View Post
She just turned 1. I am not really concerned about bottle. I am more so trying to figure out how much she still needs and best way to split milk with what I am able to pump and how much she should drink. We nurse on demand whenever I am home and she still nurses a lot! My pumping output is just decreasing and I don't want to keep stressing over how much I pump.

She will drink from a cup but I have to hold for her or she will dump it. And she only takes small amounts right now via cup.

I just read lots of conflicting things on bottles after 1 year didn't know if should be trying her milk in a different type of cup. But I feel right now a bottle is still a huge source of comfort for her when I can not be there.

Thanks
Oh I see. Well yes then why not try splitting it in half. I was in the same position when my oldest turned one. I was still working and he got pumped breast milk when away from me and nursing on demand when with me. Around 13 months I just stopped pumping all together. It was a struggle to keep my supply up and stressful after trying everything so I just stopped and he got his almond milk while I was gone and breast milk when with me. Took so much stress off of me and my supply adjusted just fine.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
Belbaby3728
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie View Post

Oh I see. Well yes then why not try splitting it in half. I was in the same position when my oldest turned one. I was still working and he got pumped breast milk when away from me and nursing on demand when with me. Around 13 months I just stopped pumping all together. It was a struggle to keep my supply up and stressful after trying everything so I just stopped and he got his almond milk while I was gone and breast milk when with me. Took so much stress off of me and my supply adjusted just fine.
Happy to hear that and what I am looking for always good to hear other similar experiences. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I would give baby the milk of your choice in her bottle and mix it with as much breast milk as you can without stressing yourself out. She still gets plenty of BM when she nurses, so that is good.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

DD1 was super laid back about bottles, so we just slowly took them away, no issues. We did start always offering cups with meals, and bottles were for other times, til she weaned off those feedings. We also always offered solids before bottles. But for 2 bottles a day at 13 months... eh... I wouldn't be too worried.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote