Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
mlgurney
Registered Users
seller
seller

Need advise on possibly homeschooling a high schooler

My son is in 9th grade and is just doing awful. His grades are horrible and I just found out that he's being bullied by many students. He has wanted to be homeschooled for a long time but I kind of blew it off because I don't know anything about homeschooling. What advise can you give me? How expensive is it too do this? My husband thinks he just needs to ignore these bullies but I'm very concerned. Yesterday he came home crying which isn't like him! Help!!

Advertisement

mlgurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Need advise on possibly homeschooling a high schooler

Check your state laws through HSLDA, for starters.

After you know the legalities, check graduation requirements (as in, how many credits in each subject).

The next part is where is gets a bit more confusing. You need to either do a public school curriculum at home (k12, for instance) or you need to find a curriculum to use. If you choose to go the curriculum route, you'll need to know a few things; learning style, secular or religious, boxed (all subjects included), and levels for each subject. Now, most boxed curriculums do not include math (as far as I know). That is one of those subjects you'll need to know what level he's at. For a good overview of curriculums, see if you can find a copy of Cathy Duffy's Top 100 Homeschool Picks.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hello there mlgurney!

I am sorry your son is going through such a tough time in high school. Rest assured things will get better for him.

Tallanvor gave you some great advice.

Often families get intimidated w/ homeschooling for the older grades but this can be done. Many states allow homeschooled high school aged students to take general education courses (i.e. English 101, Psychology 101). Check out your local homeschooling co-ops and see what they offer for teens. Support groups like co-ops can be a great resource to learn about how homeschooling is handled in your state and be a wonderful opportunity to meet other families in your area.

This schooling issue should be discussed w/ the whole family. What is your son interested in, is he struggling in school because he is having trouble keeping up or is it because he is bored or are the bullying issues playing a part in his academics?

Keep in mind homeschooling is very flexible. If you find one thing doesn't work you can always switch whenever you wish to something else.

It can be done very inexpensively or expensively depending on what you and your son decide to do.

Feel free to ask us any more questions that you may have and best wishes!
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
croark
Registered Users
seller

Poor guy! Since he's asking for it, I'd at least give it a shot. These days bullying can get really serious and there are families who decide to HS for that reason alone.

So many people are afraid to HS the high school years but it can totally be done. Look into curric like Switched on Schoolhouse or Lifepacs (both made by Alpha Omega). Teaching Textbooks is a good one to consider for math. You pretty much don't have to teach any if this.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There are a lot of online high schools that you can look into. Here in California there is a free one that is accredited just like all the other schools. My main concern would be making sure that what he does will be recognized should he decide to apply to college. It can be done but get on the right road now instead of later.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
Carebearmom22
Registered Users
seller

English classes and writing are VITAL at this age...particularly writing argumentative essays. I am a high school literacy and writing teacher. Review the common core standards I reading and writing. These are the areas he must be competent in to be accepted to college. Seek online courses or community college courses if you are unsure about what you can provide on your own. Better to do more than enough than not enough! Best of luck to you!
Carebearmom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #7
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Grade 9 is a tough year for everyone. I don't homeschool but my DH did Grade 10 at home for similar reasons.

He did it as 'distance education' so it was public school done at home supervised by the school district so his parents weren't really involved. Something like that might be an easy transitional way of homeschooling (and make your DH happy) . DH actually went back to PS for grade 11, two years later.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #8
xoxCoralxox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter is in 1st grade , and is being badly bullied.
Im in the same boat as you right now , trying to figure it all out....
It was not a road i was ever planning on taking , but now and days bullying is very serious , kids take there life because of it....

its not fun , and honestly if he WANTS to do it id say go for it.
highschool is a bit easier , i think he can do most of it by him self online anyways.

~~~Expecting Jan.2015 Baby~~~
xoxCoralxox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
Formerly: sahmto3boys
seller

My Mood:

Since he's in high school and everything is new to both of you, see if you have K12 or Connections Academy. They are virtual online public schools available in most states. They provide a free computer, curriculum and all necessary texts. They follow the same studies as the brick & mortar schools and he will get a regular high school diploma upon completion. The schedule is all laid out for both of you and you will have a teacher that will be there to assist. It's not really homeschooling since you are following a set curriculum and schedule but it's done out of the comfort of home and eliminates the bullying. Since it's a regular public school curriculum, your husband might take to that much better.

I personally do not think bullying is anything any child needs to learn to deal with and it can be detrimental. I hope things work out for you and your son.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
You can also look for an Independent Study program in your area. I'm currently looking into a program through a charter school in our school district. The kids take 4 classes a week for a total of 4 hours a week and the rest is at home. So the school provides all the curriculum, etc.