View Poll Results: If you had Gestational Diabetes, did you get it for another pregnancy?
Yes 3 50.00%
No 3 50.00%
Other, please explain 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
happy2beamom
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you had GD with 1 pregnancy, did you get it for subsequent pregnancies?

If you had GD and were able to control with diet did you have following pregnancies that you were GD free? Or did you get GD again?

Also, if you had GD, when did they test you for it in future pregnancies? Did they do the tolerance test earlier? Or did they do another type of test?

I did NOT have GD with DS, but had GD with DD (i was under a lot of emotional stress, ie Grandma in hospice dying of cancer in another country, traveling to see her, then having her pass 2 weeks later, then having to do GD screening 1 week after that) and my only factor was that i had turned 25.

Trying to figure out what the chances would be i'd get it again.

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
oregonmom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you had GD with 1 pregnancy, did you get it for subsequent pregnancies?

I had it with pregnancy 1 and 3, pregnancy 2 was borderline passing, and I take the test for pregnancy 4 tomorrow.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
happy2beamom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonmom View Post
I had it with pregnancy 1 and 3, pregnancy 2 was borderline passing, and I take the test for pregnancy 4 tomorrow.
How many weeks are you? For taking the test tomorrow. Did they test you earlier than the 24-28 weeks because you had it before?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

No for me. I had GD with my son. Was tested with my DD at around 14 weeks, then again at 26 and it was negative. This pregnancy I've been tested at 14 weeks and it was negative. I'll be tested again later, but expect it to be negative then too. The test they do early on is only a 1 or 2 hour glucose test. The one at 24-28 weeks is the 4 hour glucose.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

I was borderline with both. I followed the diet but wasn't so good with testing my sugars the first time. The second time I was better at testing, but did not stick to the diet. I just always ate protein and carbs together.

And yes I tested earlier in my 2nd pregnancy, I think around week 18??

Last edited by Van1300; 01-09-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Van1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had it with my first pregnancy. Oddly enough, I did NOT have it with either of my sets of twins. I didn't have it with my last pregnancy (a single) either. So, only my 1st out of 4 including 2 sets of twins.

#1 - Mild GD which was diet controlled. It was also not diagnosed till 33wks.
#2 - twins, tested early around 12/14 wks. Tested again at 26/27. Passed with flying colors
#3 - twins, passed with flying colors at 26/27wks
#4 - single, failed the 1hr by 2 pts. Passed the 3 hr with flying colors at 27wks.

Good luck!!
Old 01-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
ambieone
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had it with my dd (my first), it was diet controlled.
I did NOT have it with my ds.
ambieone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
wrensmom
Registered Users

My Mood:
I had GD with my first pregnancy and was able to easily control it with diet. I didn't have it with my second pregnancy (they tested me early I think and at the normal time). This pregnancy they wanted me to test at 10 weeks but I've been putting it off because of my morning sickness. I'm 15 weeks now and I'm not sure if I will take the early test or just wait till the normal test.

Every pregnancy is different so you have a good chance of not having it! My OB with my second pregnancy told me to eat more protein in the beginning of pregnancy and that would help? Not sure if that's what did it for me, but I tried to. This time I'm having a hard time with protein so we will see what happens...
Old 01-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
oregonmom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2beamom View Post
How many weeks are you? For taking the test tomorrow. Did they test you earlier than the 24-28 weeks because you had it before?
My midwife had me trying to stick to a more GD friendly diet from the begining, but she not pushy at all with tests. Many of her clients never do any testing at all.
I do things like try to mostly stick to complex carbs and always have some sort of protein with my carbs.
My test is moved to Saturday morning because she had a birth last night. I am currently 30 weeks because we forgot to arrange to do the test until last week when she emailed me remembering that we had not done that yet and asking if I wanted it done.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #10
happy2beamom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblessedbaby View Post
No for me. I had GD with my son. Was tested with my DD at around 14 weeks, then again at 26 and it was negative. This pregnancy I've been tested at 14 weeks and it was negative. I'll be tested again later, but expect it to be negative then too. The test they do early on is only a 1 or 2 hour glucose test. The one at 24-28 weeks is the 4 hour glucose.
So, the 14 week one is what 'normally' you'd receive at your 24-28 week appt? And then the one at 24-28 is the test you'd take if you'd failed your 1 hour at that time?

Did you do anything different from first to second/third? Looking for tips on how to NOT get it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van1300 View Post
I was borderline with both. I followed the diet but wasn't so good with testing my sugars the first time. The second time I was better at testing, but did not stick to the diet. I just always ate protein and carbs together.

And yes I tested earlier in my 2nd pregnancy, I think around week 18??
So you just self monitored to see your levels? Did you do it the entire pregnancy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
I had it with my first pregnancy. Oddly enough, I did NOT have it with either of my sets of twins. I didn't have it with my last pregnancy (a single) either. So, only my 1st out of 4 including 2 sets of twins.

#1 - Mild GD which was diet controlled. It was also not diagnosed till 33wks.
#2 - twins, tested early around 12/14 wks. Tested again at 26/27. Passed with flying colors
#3 - twins, passed with flying colors at 26/27wks
#4 - single, failed the 1hr by 2 pts. Passed the 3 hr with flying colors at 27wks.

Good luck!!
Wow, so amazing that you could have TWINS and not get it! That is inspiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambieone View Post
I had it with my dd (my first), it was diet controlled.
I did NOT have it with my ds.
Did you do anything different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrensmom View Post
I had GD with my first pregnancy and was able to easily control it with diet. I didn't have it with my second pregnancy (they tested me early I think and at the normal time). This pregnancy they wanted me to test at 10 weeks but I've been putting it off because of my morning sickness. I'm 15 weeks now and I'm not sure if I will take the early test or just wait till the normal test.

Every pregnancy is different so you have a good chance of not having it! My OB with my second pregnancy told me to eat more protein in the beginning of pregnancy and that would help? Not sure if that's what did it for me, but I tried to. This time I'm having a hard time with protein so we will see what happens...
See, i can't get a straight answer from anyone I've tried looking online for when to test, how to decrease, etc, but the only thing i've managed to find was to follow the Brewer's Diet. I just can't do it. Protein is my nemesis at the moment - well meat anyways. And, i don't know how to prepare the other examples of beans (the website said measure before cooking and with beans i thought you had to soak first and at this stage it is so daunting because food is a NO for me right now). So, i feel like i'll fail if i don't follow it, but i don't know what protein to eat