Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

Homeschooling in VA?

Title kind of says it all. I'm looking for someone in Virginia that home schools and can offer their experience, advice, and answer questions.

Advertisement

LittleThingsMama638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Homeschooling in VA?

I live in VA and have home schooled my children for the last 7 yrs. Feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to answer.

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can do a search. There are actually several threads with the same title. VA is a popular place for people to ask about HS'ing in. I'm in VA too.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
stephie_j24
Registered Users
seller

Not there yet but interested as well! We are moving there in a few months. I'm in Arizona right now, which has got to be among the most lenient states for homeschooling. I'm anticipating a significant change!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! I looked through the pages some, but didn't search as search never turns up anything for me.

I'm mainly interested in law, ages, starting out. Well everything really. I'm looking into homeschooling my 4yo in the fall (he will be 5 then.) I know there is a conference in Richmond in June. But school sign up is in April here so I need to decide what to do before then. I'm in central VA, a couple hours from Richmond. How do I find local groups?

What is the law in VA for homeschooling and intent? The conference site says five on or before September 15, but the info I found says six? How do I come up with a curriculum to show the school? I can't even decide on a curriculum how do I tell them what I want to do? What is the law as far as testing and such? Do SOLs play a role in homeschooling?

Any information would be helpful really as I'm extremely new to this. I never even considered homeschooling until I found out my DD had a bunch of allergies and public school would be impossible for her and I kind of just put ODS's schooling on the back burner. I didn't even get him in preschool this year like I was supposed to.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

conference site is wrong....sort of It's 5 on or before Sept 30 (I haven't seen anything about it changing to the 15th) when you need to send a letter of intent including a list of subjects to teach and a copy of your high school diploma (or higher). Any child who is 6 on or before Sept 30 has to have standardized testing or a eval from a teaching professional.

Check out HSLD's website for law info. If I have time later, I'll dig up some threads for you.

ETA - You do NOT show your curriculum to the school. You LIST the subjects to be taught. I listed: phonics, reading, math, science, Bible, art, music or whatever. I can't remember exactly what I put down. You do NOT have to describe it. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. It is a common misconception in VA. Do not provide more info than required by law because it starts a precedent. Hopefully, that makes sense.

Last edited by HeatherlovesCDs; 01-18-2013 at 07:12 AM.
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here is one link with more links in it.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...ighlight=hslda
Old 01-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yep, pretty much what Heather said. VA also have a *loop hole* of sorts... You are not actually required to report anything until the age of 6 IF you feel that your child isn't ready for Kinder for social, devel, or physical delays. And this is YOUR opinion as the parent, you do NOT need *expert* documentation to back you up. And it you decided to go this route, you don't have to do K next year, you can register them for 1st grade if that is where you are at. Also, since you are on the fence, you can go ahead and register your LO for PS. You have until August 15th to change your mind and I have even known several people that decided in Sept or pulled them out all together at some point during the school year. I actually enrolled my oldest in K and by Jun or July knew that we weren't going to send him to PS, so we submitted our letter. I did get a few phone calls the 1st week of school which was annoying, but once I told them that we decided to home school and had sent in the proper letter, so it was already documented they left us alone.

Where about in central VA are you moving? I live about 1.5 hours west of Richmond.

Oh, and I would HIGHLY recommend either attending the Thursday session at convention, or they do offer that particular seminar throughout the year. It is a *how to get started* seminar and really worth it especially since you will be new to the area and won't have many home school connections made. And as for what you need to submit, I am not sure any more. I know last year our laws changed (in favor of home schoolers) but I don't recall exactly how. We are religiously exempt, so we don't provide anything to the school district EVER.

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #9
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs
conference site is wrong....sort of It's 5 on or before Sept 30 (I haven't seen anything about it changing to the 15th) when you need to send a letter of intent including a list of subjects to teach and a copy of your high school diploma (or higher). Any child who is 6 on or before Sept 30 has to have standardized testing or a eval from a teaching professional.

Check out HSLD's website for law info. If I have time later, I'll dig up some threads for you.

ETA - You do NOT show your curriculum to the school. You LIST the subjects to be taught. I listed: phonics, reading, math, science, Bible, art, music or whatever. I can't remember exactly what I put down. You do NOT have to describe it. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. It is a common misconception in VA. Do not provide more info than required by law because it starts a precedent. Hopefully, that makes sense.
Thank you. It was our local county site that said six, which was why I was confused. So if we homeschool, they will still have to do SOLs? Or just if we start at 6? Thanks for the link to the other thread as well. I will check it out.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #10
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christylkeller
Yep, pretty much what Heather said. VA also have a *loop hole* of sorts... You are not actually required to report anything until the age of 6 IF you feel that your child isn't ready for Kinder for social, devel, or physical delays. And this is YOUR opinion as the parent, you do NOT need *expert* documentation to back you up. And it you decided to go this route, you don't have to do K next year, you can register them for 1st grade if that is where you are at. Also, since you are on the fence, you can go ahead and register your LO for PS. You have until August 15th to change your mind and I have even known several people that decided in Sept or pulled them out all together at some point during the school year. I actually enrolled my oldest in K and by Jun or July knew that we weren't going to send him to PS, so we submitted our letter. I did get a few phone calls the 1st week of school which was annoying, but once I told them that we decided to home school and had sent in the proper letter, so it was already documented they left us alone.

Where about in central VA are you moving? I live about 1.5 hours west of Richmond.

Oh, and I would HIGHLY recommend either attending the Thursday session at convention, or they do offer that particular seminar throughout the year. It is a *how to get started* seminar and really worth it especially since you will be new to the area and won't have many home school connections made. And as for what you need to submit, I am not sure any more. I know last year our laws changed (in favor of home schoolers) but I don't recall exactly how. We are religiously exempt, so we don't provide anything to the school district EVER.
Thank you for the tip about ps, we might go ahead and do that. I really want to homeschool but am worried about it, and ideally would like to go to the conference before saying yes completely. That is a good tip. I think the conference was the 6-8 of June? I'm not positive but I want to attend all three days worth and check things out. I didn't really look for a schedule as I've been doing this late at night after the kids are in bed and I was tired but I'll go look for one. What can I expect from the conference? Is it an attend all three days thing, or pick and choose? I just remember it was free for the first year, or the beginners session was free? Hmm I need to go back and look again.

We are in the Lynchburg area. I know of one person here who homeschools and only know that because they opened a store but it ended up closing quickly before I had a chance to get in there. I don't personally know them. I would LOVE to meet other homeschoolers but don't know how to find them. I've honestly never heard of the homeschooling population around here.