Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
laila
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: help!! weird situation w/my kindergartener

I'm a teacher, and ten of the years that I have taught, were in first grade. I frequently received notes like that from the students. In no way is it inappropriate. Children are just more honest than adults, and "love" to them is pure and simple. Loving somebody means that they like you and enjoy your company. I would have no problem with my child writing a "love" note to their teacher at that age. Makes a teacher feel good; we all need a little more love in our lives.

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
mommy2abigail
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We homeschool, but both my dd's have given many love letters and gifts to their riding and gymnastics coaches. Every week, before their lesson, they run aroun the house gathering little things that are precious to them, a half a bottle of hand sanitizer from the $1 section, a plastic beaded necklace, a sticker, a picture they drew, and a stick of gum and throw them in a gift bag to take to their coach. They usually write a letter that includes "I love you" in it. Neither coach seems the least bit bothered, and actually both have recieved the little gifts and notes with such grace and made my kids feel special and loved. I wouldn't worry about it all. A K teacher is totally used to that and a good one will respond kindly and lovingly.
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #13
omgoodgravy
Registered Users

My Mood:

As a K teacher myself I tell. The kids I love them all of the time because really I do. Now I teach in a very urban area so I don't think they hear it all that often in their home lives. I get love notes too. I proudly hang them on my wall near my desk it makes them so very proud.
omgoodgravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #14
leyash
Registered Users
seller

My son is in Kinder. The other day one of the students (I was there for a Christmas party) was telling the teacher bye as he was leaving. They were going on break for two weeks. Anyway, he said, "I love you Miss G!" She said, "I love you too, friend!"

She calls all of the students "friend." It's a school wide thing. Anyway, I thought it was ridiculously cute, and I really thought it was endearing that she told him she loved him, too. Our kids spend more time at school than they do at home during the school year (minus sleep time). I think it's a GREAT thing if your DD feels like she wants to tell her teacher that she loves him/her. It's a good thing for them to look at school as a positive experience.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #15
doodah
Registered Users
seller

My daughter is 5 and is very curious about love and what that means. she asks about who she can marry, is very interested in weddings, who loves her, she loves this person. I honestly think that its a development milestone where they are figuring out relationship. she also asks about relatives and those relationship. "who is Daddy's dad?" just figuring out connections and social boundaries.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #16
lovebear
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post
I wouldn't be concerned. I was crazy about a lot of my teachers and "loved" them in elementary school. In a mommy/big sister/friend kind of way. Looking back there were a few in high school that touched my life also and one in particular I definitely loved. She was old enough to be my grandma and absolutely wonderful. If it was a 9th grader writing it to a teacher, yes I would say something.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
This. My older kid don't do this but I can relate because I used to write a note to my favorite teacher when I was in grade school and I loved her like my own mother. Teachers are second parents.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #17
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would not be concerned. It just means you kid has a great teacher and is looking for a little reassurance that she is special to her teacher. DS told me he loved his 1st grade teacher. He asked me if I could marry her so she could come live with us in front of his teacher. (That was just a tad awkward!)

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #18
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I say normal. I loved my 4th grade teacher. I still love her. She is even my friend on FB now. She had such an inpact on my life and is an amazing woman.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #19
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by laila View Post
I'm a teacher, and ten of the years that I have taught, were in first grade. I frequently received notes like that from the students. In no way is it inappropriate. Children are just more honest than adults, and "love" to them is pure and simple. Loving somebody means that they like you and enjoy your company. I would have no problem with my child writing a "love" note to their teacher at that age. Makes a teacher feel good; we all need a little more love in our lives.
I love this response. So true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
My son is in Kinder. The other day one of the students (I was there for a Christmas party) was telling the teacher bye as he was leaving. They were going on break for two weeks. Anyway, he said, "I love you Miss G!" She said, "I love you too, friend!"

She calls all of the students "friend." It's a school wide thing. Anyway, I thought it was ridiculously cute, and I really thought it was endearing that she told him she loved him, too. Our kids spend more time at school than they do at home during the school year (minus sleep time). I think it's a GREAT thing if your DD feels like she wants to tell her teacher that she loves him/her. It's a good thing for them to look at school as a positive experience.
This made me smile. It just sounds so sweet.

I'd be happy my child "loved" their teacher. (Of course, I hope mine do since I homeschool them! )
Old 01-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #20
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
This made me smile. It just sounds so sweet.

I'd be happy my child "loved" their teacher. (Of course, I hope mine do since I homeschool them! )
Honestly, I almost cried. MOSTLY because I'm pregnant and these hormones are crazy, but it is sweet. I love that he is getting a good experience in school, and honestly, she's the best Kinder teacher there. Anyone and everyone that has kids at that school has said that, and I am SO glad that he got her this year. She's awesome!
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote