Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
laila's Avatar
laila
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 3,091
My Mood:
Re: help!! weird situation w/my kindergartener

I'm a teacher, and ten of the years that I have taught, were in first grade. I frequently received notes like that from the students. In no way is it inappropriate. Children are just more honest than adults, and "love" to them is pure and simple. Loving somebody means that they like you and enjoy your company. I would have no problem with my child writing a "love" note to their teacher at that age. Makes a teacher feel good; we all need a little more love in our lives.

Advertisement

__________________
Mommy of 5 to Emma (10) , Noah(8), Luke(6), William (2.5), and Baby Hazel Lily (born on 3/2/13) , Wife to my best friend, Matt ; Teacher to many.
laila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
mommy2abigail
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,651
My Mood:
Re: help!! weird situation w/my kindergartener

We homeschool, but both my dd's have given many love letters and gifts to their riding and gymnastics coaches. Every week, before their lesson, they run aroun the house gathering little things that are precious to them, a half a bottle of hand sanitizer from the $1 section, a plastic beaded necklace, a sticker, a picture they drew, and a stick of gum and throw them in a gift bag to take to their coach. They usually write a letter that includes "I love you" in it. Neither coach seems the least bit bothered, and actually both have recieved the little gifts and notes with such grace and made my kids feel special and loved. I wouldn't worry about it all. A K teacher is totally used to that and a good one will respond kindly and lovingly.
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #13
omgoodgravy's Avatar
omgoodgravy
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: about 2 min closer to crazy
Posts: 593
My Mood:
Re: help!! weird situation w/my kindergartener

As a K teacher myself I tell. The kids I love them all of the time because really I do. Now I teach in a very urban area so I don't think they hear it all that often in their home lives. I get love notes too. I proudly hang them on my wall near my desk it makes them so very proud.
omgoodgravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #14
leyash's Avatar
leyash
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,913
Re: help!! weird situation w/my kindergartener

My son is in Kinder. The other day one of the students (I was there for a Christmas party) was telling the teacher bye as he was leaving. They were going on break for two weeks. Anyway, he said, "I love you Miss G!" She said, "I love you too, friend!"

She calls all of the students "friend." It's a school wide thing. Anyway, I thought it was ridiculously cute, and I really thought it was endearing that she told him she loved him, too. Our kids spend more time at school than they do at home during the school year (minus sleep time). I think it's a GREAT thing if your DD feels like she wants to tell her teacher that she loves him/her. It's a good thing for them to look at school as a positive experience.
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #15
doodah's Avatar
doodah
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 9,960
Re: help!! weird situation w/my kindergartener

My daughter is 5 and is very curious about love and what that means. she asks about who she can marry, is very interested in weddings, who loves her, she loves this person. I honestly think that its a development milestone where they are figuring out relationship. she also asks about relatives and those relationship. "who is Daddy's dad?" just figuring out connections and social boundaries.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #16
lovebear's Avatar
lovebear
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 111
Re: help!! weird situation w/my kindergartener

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post
I wouldn't be concerned. I was crazy about a lot of my teachers and "loved" them in elementary school. In a mommy/big sister/friend kind of way. Looking back there were a few in high school that touched my life also and one in particular I definitely loved. She was old enough to be my grandma and absolutely wonderful. If it was a 9th grader writing it to a teacher, yes I would say something.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
This. My older kid don't do this but I can relate because I used to write a note to my favorite teacher when I was in grade school and I loved her like my own mother. Teachers are second parents.
__________________
Loving Mom to Maegan(07/17/08) and Ter(07/08/12)
*~ Need a sitter/nanny? Check out the TopSitters.com. They helped me when I was in a bind.~*
lovebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #17
Rdesonia's Avatar
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,515
My Mood:
Re: help!! weird situation w/my kindergartener

I would not be concerned. It just means you kid has a great teacher and is looking for a little reassurance that she is special to her teacher. DS told me he loved his 1st grade teacher. He asked me if I could marry her so she could come live with us in front of his teacher. (That was just a tad awkward!)
__________________
Sahm married to a wonderful man who does the dishes with DS 11/18/02 and DD 7/11/11

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #18
l_Kimmie_l
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 12,584
My Mood:
Re: help!! weird situation w/my kindergartener

I say normal. I loved my 4th grade teacher. I still love her. She is even my friend on FB now. She had such an inpact on my life and is an amazing woman.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #19
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,081
My Mood:
Re: help!! weird situation w/my kindergartener

Quote:
Originally Posted by laila View Post
I'm a teacher, and ten of the years that I have taught, were in first grade. I frequently received notes like that from the students. In no way is it inappropriate. Children are just more honest than adults, and "love" to them is pure and simple. Loving somebody means that they like you and enjoy your company. I would have no problem with my child writing a "love" note to their teacher at that age. Makes a teacher feel good; we all need a little more love in our lives.
I love this response. So true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
My son is in Kinder. The other day one of the students (I was there for a Christmas party) was telling the teacher bye as he was leaving. They were going on break for two weeks. Anyway, he said, "I love you Miss G!" She said, "I love you too, friend!"

She calls all of the students "friend." It's a school wide thing. Anyway, I thought it was ridiculously cute, and I really thought it was endearing that she told him she loved him, too. Our kids spend more time at school than they do at home during the school year (minus sleep time). I think it's a GREAT thing if your DD feels like she wants to tell her teacher that she loves him/her. It's a good thing for them to look at school as a positive experience.
This made me smile. It just sounds so sweet.

I'd be happy my child "loved" their teacher. (Of course, I hope mine do since I homeschool them! )
__________________
Heather SAHM to 6 who are 7 and under, including 2 sets of twins and our last little miracle, a surviving identical twin, born Oct 2012!
HeatherlovesCDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #20
leyash's Avatar
leyash
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,913
Re: help!! weird situation w/my kindergartener

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
This made me smile. It just sounds so sweet.

I'd be happy my child "loved" their teacher. (Of course, I hope mine do since I homeschool them! )
Honestly, I almost cried. MOSTLY because I'm pregnant and these hormones are crazy, but it is sweet. I love that he is getting a good experience in school, and honestly, she's the best Kinder teacher there. Anyone and everyone that has kids at that school has said that, and I am SO glad that he got her this year. She's awesome!
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.