Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Changing OBs interesting development

Has anyone changed OBs semi-late in pregnancy and can give tips. I have an appointment to meet with the nurse at the new place on Monday, but then won't meet with a midwife until the 29th which puts me at right over 30 weeks. Any suggestions on questions I should be asking or things I need to tell them. This is my 3rd pregnancy so it isn't like delivering a child is new to me, I was just wondering if anyone else has a similar experience.

Today 3/15 I was looking in the phone book (new this week) because I figured it might be a good idea to put the number in my phone before going into labor. My old OB that I switched offices from is now listed as working there. DH says I should call and check, but I figure I have an appointment on Monday so I'll find out then. If so, I may have to request him for delivery if possible.

Advertisement

Last edited by MrsStripe; 03-15-2013 at 10:29 AM.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Changing OBs

Every pregnancy I have changrd obs at around 6 months bc of a move. It really was no big deal. I just had to do more research before the move and there were never any gliches. gl.
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

I switched around 20 weeks with DS, I'm sure everything will go smoothly!
Old 01-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm planning on switching around 36 weeks because a birth center is opening. Part of me thinks I'm crazy but I feel like my dream birth is too good to pass up. I think as long as you are getting care until the switch, and there isn't anything you or if the ordinary it will be fine.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I switched care providers 4 times with DS1's pregnancy - saw our fam Dr, then moved 4 hours away and switched to another fam Dr, then moved to the middle of the country at 7.5 months along and saw an OB once (doesn't really count), then saw the MWs until 38 weeks until I went back to the OB.
I also switched with DS2's pregnancy - saw the MWs until 39 weeks, and then had to go to my OB because of... issues with the MWs.

Technically I've also switched with Levi and Hiccup's pregnancies, too - I see my fam Dr until 24 weeks or so, then get a referral to my OB. With Levi I didn't see my OB until 35 weeks. This time I started seeing my OB at 22 weeks.

It's never been a big deal for me - other than dealing with the OB switches because of MW issues, but that was extenuating circumstances - and I've never asked any specific questions. The first time I saw my OB with Levi he asked if I was planning on having a VBAC or RCS, I said VBAC and that was that.
Hmm... thinking about that, he hasn't said anything about it this time. I wonder if he will ask, or if he's just assuming that my plan is the same.

Last edited by canadianbakers; 01-10-2013 at 08:56 PM.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
BiskMama
Registered Users
seller

I changed around 4-1/2 months with this baby, best choice ever in my opinion. The OB I was seeing before made some very bad judgment calls, and hubby and I both aggreed that it was better to switch. The only thing you should know is that if you go to a practice with more than one doctor, they will most likely have you see a different doctor every time because they don't know who will be on call when you deliver. Good luck with the swich!
BiskMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #7
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yep, I already joked with the receptionist about possibly not seeing all of the providers at the clinic. Seeing a nurse at the clinic Monday so I'm looking forward to the change. I've had a lot of friends use the practice.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #8
~KittyKat~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had to switch at 15 weeks with this pregnancy. My Dr just wanted to get copies of all of my blood work and everything until that point and I know she called and consulted with my old OB since he also handled previous surgery of mine.

You should be fine, they just want to make sure they get all the information. You will probably have to sit through the dreaded initial appointment though in which they ask you a bazzilion questions and it seems you are sitting there forever.
~KittyKat~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Met with the nurse today. They did ask why I left the last practice so I explained and it was pretty much straightforward from there. Filled out all of the lovely paperwork, scheduled the rest of my appointments and I'll see a midwife in 2 weeks.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #10
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad it was easy for ya!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote