Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #21
SPJ&E
Registered Users
seller

Re: 1st formula baby, horrible reflux, bleeding privates, help please!:(

We always put the Culturelle powder packets right into the bottle and had no problems at all. But if you already have probiotic drops, by all means, use those!

Neocate...my son has been on it for 11 months now and hasn't had any constipation issues. It is normal during a formula switch to see a change like that though, while the body is adjusting. All babies are different, so some need Elecare rather than Neocate and vice versa. Our doctor prefers Neocate (no idea why) so that's what we went with. Either way, the probiotic should help with the adjustment too!

It sucks to feel like a first time mom, when it's not your first child! Our first 2 had no issues at all with breastfeeding (and formula later on) or reflux or anything. Our 3rd threw us for a loop. Silent reflux, refusal to eat (which killed my supply and broke my heart when I could not get it back up, despite meds and a hospital grade pump), weight loss/lack of gain due to the reflux and refusal to eat), weekly weight checks and almost hospitalization, constant crying, diarrhea, bla bla bla. Once we figured out his issues (dairy and gluten), we got him straightened out, thankfully. Our struggle wasn't nearly as bad as some, but it was still a rough road that we did not expect! I definitely feel for you!

Advertisement

Last edited by SPJ&E; 01-10-2013 at 11:25 AM.
SPJ&E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #22
Beth.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblessedmama View Post
Thanks ladies! So only water, and probably neocate. The Drs office doesn't have samples but it sounds like it's worth a try. I just saw the other mama's post that it didn't even help, so don't want to go through all that if it won't. I actually use arrowroot powder at every change, it helps so much to not get rashes from the pee. I also have some very expensive probiotic drops, but haven't been doing them lately, I'll get on that! I didn't think culturelle could go into the bottle, but mine are warm so maybe that's why. It's crazy to have all these problems (and I have them breastfeeding too) and all my friends don't have a clue, diapering/baby care seems so easy! It must be hard to be my baby, poor little guy. Thanks again for all the help.
Arrowroot is void of any proteins, so it's probably good. I would make sure that it's pure arrowroot though and not mixed with anything else (like potato starch) that might be causing additional issues. It sounds like you are dealing with milk protein issues and kids with milk protein issues often have other food protein issues. Our kiddo with these issues reacts to almost everything, except Aquafor (sp?) and Vaniply/Vanicream. She was allergic to rice even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblessedmama View Post
I looked up Neocate/Elecare, and saw lots of posts that Neocate is very constipating, is that true? One thing or another, isn't it?
DD has been on Elecare for over two years and she has never been constipated. At almost 3, she's finally pulling together some solid stools. I wouldn't worry about constipation. That can be fixed with some Miralax. You've got bigger issues at this point. Did you know there is a stool scale? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_stool_scale
Old 01-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #23
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I think a lot of kids with milk and soy allergies have constipation issues with or without neocate, dd did we took mirilax every day........but she's almost 6 and still do. It's definitely worth a try!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #24
ahblessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Trying Elecare tomorrow, now in sposies and generic Lotrimin in case the bleeding is just from a bad yeast rash. Thanks so much for all the help ladies. I really appreciate these forums, and the internet!
ahblessedmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #25
SPJ&E
Registered Users
seller

Did your doctor have an Elecare sample? That's great...I hope it works for your little guy. Please update us, if you don't mind. I'll keep him in my thoughts.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #26
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Oh also, banking soda bathes always helps dd with her acidic poo rash. Just like 4 or 5 tbs in about 2 inches of warm water, let their little bottoms sit in it for 10 mins or so. I never did it with open sores, so maybe try 1/2 that amount at first.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #27
ahblessedmama
Registered Users
seller

No sample just hyvee ordering it for me. Yes I remember the baking soda and did it the other day but it was when he didn't have open sores. Seems like I remember putting one of my other kiddos into a baking soda bath and they just screamed so I've always been afraid of it. It seemed to help him though. SPJ&E yes I'll keep you posted. Have a great day!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #28
Beth.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Fingers crossed the Elecare works for you! We saw immediate relief. We still get a random acidic poo for no apparent reason, but nothing like before DD started on the Elecare. Good luck!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:11 AM   #29
ahblessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Here's the update, this will be Day 3 of Elecare and some good, some bad so far. The first day he hardly spit up at all and I thought this was it! But yesterday was just awful again with the spitup (although it smells much better than Nutramigen spitup to me). His bloody rash is gone, probably for two reasons, one is I'm treating aggressively for yeast, and two because he's constipated from the quick switch so hasn't pooed yet He's in a lot of pain from being constipated so I don't know if I should wait it out, or put something in the bottle now? I've never really had a constipated kiddo (unless some of them eat gluten), our house usually has the opposite problem. The good so far is that it seems to satisfy him so much more than the other formulas, with those he was wanting to eat every 2-2.5 hrs, I really had to hold him off until 2.5. The other day he woke up after 3.5 hrs, and didn't seem all that hungry, just happy to chat and play, which has never happened. It seems like a lot of posts/reviews said they saw changes in their baby immediately, maybe for some it takes longer? Thanks!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #30
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Sween cream. But no issues with reflux like that with first. We k just had advanced formula. But I would suggest a different formula. i'm adopted and had to be on soy. Its not the end of the world if you. Have to use.maybe u need different meds.... or formula