Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thrifty paleo families

I feel I should start out by saying that we are not actually paleo. One son is gluten intolerant, the other is allergic to dairy. The gf still has dairy, the df still has gluten, although its not as frequent. DH and I still eat dairy and gluten, but considerably less than before. It's just easier to plan dinners that are paleo, since I don't need to do any substitutions or anything, so I subscribe to a paleo meal planning service.

This dietary change is a bit more expensive than I thought it would be. We ate pretty healthy before: organic animal products, lots of organic fruits and veggies, whole grains, very few processed foods. But I was very thrifty and we ate lots of whole grain pasta, sandwiches, crackers, cheese, etc, and minimal meat. I am going to need to increase my food budget a bit.

What are other thrifty paleo (or paleo-ish, like us) budgeting for a monthly food budget? We are a family of 4, and $400 a month won't cut it anymore (I could do it if I didn't do organic, but organic and sustainably harvested are too important to me).

Advertisement

~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Are you on Pinterest?? I have found a TON of blogs with many many recipes, a lot are extremely affordable.
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Thrifty paleo families

We are "trying" to follow paleo-ish as I've heard people have had some success with it helping to limit symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis but we are also finding it really expensive, I chose paleo over some other eating plans because I didn't think it was that different to what we were already eating but I must have been wrong.
My budget wouldn't be equal because food is so expensive here but something dh and I are considering is for us to eat paleo but not the kids, since mostly the kids were eating and enjoying pastas, sandwiches, cheese etc.
I don't think I've seen any recipes on Pinterest, will have to go have a look!
Old 01-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
minneapolisite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This emeals sample menu might be a little bit helpful (and free):

http://cdn.emeals.com/meal-plans/pal...amily-plan.pdf
At-home mom of DAK (Oct 2011) and #2 (Oct 2014)
minneapolisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

BNC Had some good tips in this thread http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1474044

I am crap at being thrifty right now. I *was* spending $600 a month and this month it will be closer to $750 (I put away 25 freezer meals).
Old 01-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I think making sure you eat whats in season and not buy specialty products is the most imoortant in order to keep your budget down.

Since your not strictly paleo, can you add grain fillers like millet, quinoa and rice? Millet was the hardest grain for me to give up!

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
Erinne
Registered Users

Do you have access to Azure Standard? My friend orders a lot of her almond flour and stuff from them and it helps them a lot.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by minneapolisite
This emeals sample menu might be a little bit helpful (and free):

http://cdn.emeals.com/meal-plans/pal...amily-plan.pdf
I have an emeals subscription. it's helped tremendously with having tasty food and getting out of our food rut, but that's what is driving up our food cost. We've already spent $600 on food this month!!! I have at least another $100 to buy (we've already got all of our meat and most of our dairy/alternative items for the month, but we need to restock on produce probably twice more). $700+ for 4 people is just ridiculous, IMO.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNC
I think making sure you eat whats in season and not buy specialty products is the most imoortant in order to keep your budget down.

Since your not strictly paleo, can you add grain fillers like millet, quinoa and rice? Millet was the hardest grain for me to give up!
I don't even know what millet is. Lol.

We can have rice and quinoa, but I really don't like them very much. I've tried adding different seasonings, making fried quinoa patties, and quinoa "fried rice" but it is just yuck to me. I do make Spanish rice too. But I can't eat rice or quinoa more than like once a month, it's just not something I even remotely like.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinne
Do you have access to Azure Standard? My friend orders a lot of her almond flour and stuff from them and it helps them a lot.
We are moving soon, so idk. I'm guessing they don't have it in Italy though lol.