Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2013, 11:53 PM   #11
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thrifty paleo families

Is emeals Worth the $$?

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #12
MrsFishyMarineWife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhillcranes
Is emeals Worth the $$?
There was a groupon the other day for $29 a year.

DH is HOME from Afghan!
MrsFishyMarineWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:50 AM   #13
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhillcranes
Is emeals Worth the $$?
Meh. I guess it depends. I was a thrifty shopper who had lots of cheap (but healthy) fillers. I really struggled with planning gluten free meals, especially since I think most dairy replacements are gross (and expensive). I'm really liking the variety of meals, but they use lot of ingredients I don't normally stock, so that is adding up.

If you normally eat out a lot, go shopping without a plan, or buy lots of pre made stuff, yeah, it probably saves money.

I saved 50% by buying myself a gift certificate for it
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

We are "paleo-ish." We are GF/DF and use lots of protein and healthy fats but I do fill in with beans or GF grains (rice, quinoa) if necessary. We are a family of 7 and my food budget is $400 a month. It was $300 a month prior to going GF/DF but I had to increase it to account for the extra meat.

The first month we went paleo I spent a lot of money trying to use gluten substitutes (almond flour, coconut flour) and still make things like pancakes/waffles. I stopped doing that because I found they were not very good and they were very expensive to make. So now I don't bother trying to imitate and focus our meals on protein/veggie/GF carb. I also do a monthly meal plan at the beginning of the month that focuses the protein sources of our meals on what is on sale. This is only our 3rd month of paleo so I'm still fine-tuning a bit. I should add that we don't buy organic at all (I would love to, but it just isn't in the budget at the moment).
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #15
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna1988 View Post
I don't even know what millet is. Lol.

We can have rice and quinoa, but I really don't like them very much. I've tried adding different seasonings, making fried quinoa patties, and quinoa "fried rice" but it is just yuck to me. I do make Spanish rice too. But I can't eat rice or quinoa more than like once a month, it's just not something I even remotely like.
Millet tastes like white rice so you prob wouldnt like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcrossTheUniverse View Post
We are "paleo-ish." We are GF/DF and use lots of protein and healthy fats but I do fill in with beans or GF grains (rice, quinoa) if necessary. We are a family of 7 and my food budget is $400 a month. It was $300 a month prior to going GF/DF but I had to increase it to account for the extra meat.

The first month we went paleo I spent a lot of money trying to use gluten substitutes (almond flour, coconut flour) and still make things like pancakes/waffles. I stopped doing that because I found they were not very good and they were very expensive to make. So now I don't bother trying to imitate and focus our meals on protein/veggie/GF carb. I also do a monthly meal plan at the beginning of the month that focuses the protein sources of our meals on what is on sale. This is only our 3rd month of paleo so I'm still fine-tuning a bit. I should add that we don't buy organic at all (I would love to, but it just isn't in the budget at the moment).
Yea, no subs...they dont taste like the real thing and they are expensive!

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #16
Cherbear013
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I use quinoa or rice everyday! I fry up some olive oil, seasonings and veggies. Then I add the rice and tamari. Afterwards i add an avocado. So tasty and so easy!