Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Horrid rash... ( UPDATED w/ dr call )

well the other night.. My dh gave my baby about 4 ozs of juice.. yes.. plain juice b4 bed... and he woke up in the morning with a small rash.. well I kept changing him often and putting cream on him .. but I think the cream made it worse... now he is rashed bad... and all over his little area.. his sack..and on the top part of the diaper area... what can I do ? just use prefolds with no cover?? and still use the cream? or use the triple cream? what about silk liners? or fleece.. please someone help me.. I think it is getting bad... and the next step is calling the dr.

Dr. told me to go buy some Jock itch cream and I am trying to strip diapers right now... I dont think it is the diapers though.. bc the water so far looks fine.. .sigh... I dont know

Advertisement

Last edited by mrsbehaven007; 05-15-2007 at 04:45 PM.
mrsbehaven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
Distinctive Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: shandyms
seller

My Mood:
Re: :cry: our first diaper rash... (bad)

DD had a rash to end all rashes last year - so bad that she still has a scar from it. I tried everything, and it just didn't clear up. I ended up using a recipie for something I found on another board called "Miracle Cream" (or something like that). It's equal parts of A+D ointment, bacatracin ointment, Desitin, and Milk of Magnesia. I just mixed it up in a little disposable plastic container. Smear it on nice and thick, using a fleece liner to protect the dipe. I did it morning and night, and it helped more than anything else I tried. Naked time is also a good thing. I tried silk liners, and honestly, for me, they didn't do a thing - seemed to me like they just kept her diaper area wetter than if I had just used fleece. Other people may feel differently about the silk, but that's my experience.

Good luck...I totally feel your pain on this one!!
Old 05-15-2007, 12:59 PM   #3
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandyms View Post
DD had a rash to end all rashes last year - so bad that she still has a scar from it. I tried everything, and it just didn't clear up. I ended up using a recipie for something I found on another board called "Miracle Cream" (or something like that). It's equal parts of A+D ointment, bacatracin ointment, Desitin, and Milk of Magnesia. I just mixed it up in a little disposable plastic container. Smear it on nice and thick, using a fleece liner to protect the dipe. I did it morning and night, and it helped more than anything else I tried. Naked time is also a good thing. I tried silk liners, and honestly, for me, they didn't do a thing - seemed to me like they just kept her diaper area wetter than if I had just used fleece. Other people may feel differently about the silk, but that's my experience.

Good luck...I totally feel your pain on this one!!
THank you so much mama.. I am going to try that out.. I am almost in tears when I change him .. it looks so painful... he has yet to cry.. but he will jump when I wipe him .. so I started putting him in the tub at every change.. just to clean him up .. my poor baby... I just feel so bad....

If I would of just did something sooner.. I thought it would heal itself without any need for other stuff... I may have saved him some pain... I want to go outside and let him just play naked for the rest of his life.... ( well the 2-3 years he might be in a diaper )
Old 05-15-2007, 03:12 PM   #4
mrsbehaven007
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

is there no secret out there... I let him go diaper free...and it isnt working .... I think it is getting worse.. I just called the dr and waiting for a reply... but I dont think that i will hear from them till later... ( like another hour ).... this sucks... my poor baby ... THis is his first rash ..and it looks HORRIBLE>. it has little raised bumps on it.. and kinda like the skin is swollen... and he is starting to fuss when I put cream on it.. I have to be the worse mama ever.. how did I let it get that bad.. I feel horrible..

OK .. vent over... I wish they would just call me back.. ( I know.. there are sicker babies over there... all I need is an answer... ... what will work for my little man)
Old 05-15-2007, 03:18 PM   #5
dreamtiger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I"m sorry mama, I don't have any advice for you since I never experienced a rash that bad but I just want you to know you're not a bad mama!!! I'm sure the rash will clear up -- it'd be good to hear what the doc has to say.

wife to DH Chris and mom to beautiful Esther 8/12/06
dreamtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #6
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

I know, they always look awful. Do your dipes need to be stripped on top of it? Even if the juice started it, sometimes dipes make it worse. Just keep it clean, I guess. My DS had a bad one when he was maybe 18 months and we had to use an Rx cream - which worked but we also put him in sposies while using it because it was so nasty I didn't want it touching my dipes. Hang in there.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:21 PM   #7
adrocksmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

corn starch...in the diapers and corn starch baths. That is the only thing that helped Jude.
adrocksmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:33 PM   #8
mama23boys
Banned
seller

corn starch and also try Aveeno Oatmeal baths, naked sun time, and i've heard Milk of Magnesia by it self helps bc it neutralizes the acids.

and i hope the doctor calls you back quickly!!
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:56 PM   #9
Mickiswing
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can use a straight liquid antacid and pat it over the rash. And if it hurts when you put cream on, slather cream all over the diaper so you don't have to rub the skin.

I would just use warm water to clean him at every change to rinse off extra cream and neutralize any acids still on the skin.

My dd used to get yeast infections then really bad rashes in the diaper area. We used Triple Paste and it worked really well, but I only use it if it's absolutely necessary. You can get it at most pharmacies without an Rx.

I hope it clears up soon! That's not fun at all!

ETA: I would avoid any polyester diapers like fleece, microsuede, basically anything with stay-dry properties. They can make it worse when your dc has sensitive skin

Last edited by Mickiswing; 05-15-2007 at 04:14 PM.
Mickiswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:17 PM   #10
stephlynnette
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Cornstarch powder, and cornstarch mixed with Milk of Magnesia, were the only things that helped with my oldest DS. He stayed rashy (burned looking, almost) for the first three months of his life until we discovered Gold Bond cornstarch baby powder. ...I hope you find something that helps him soon!
stephlynnette is offline   Reply With Quote