Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Registered Users
Advice needed....(long)

Here's my situation: I have worked for a company where I office at a different location than the rest of the staff that I work with. It has not been an issue until this year. (I have worked for them for 10 years.) I have always had directors and other staff members who were willing to pick up the phone or email me if they needed to communicate some task. Or to just give customers my number for me to handle whatever issue might be arising. However this year (new director and lose of all staff except me) there seems to be a huge communicate block because I am not in the same physical space as the director. This is not only leaving me with a feeling of failing at my job, because I don't know what is happening or what I can do to help. But this the real fear that my job has become obsolete. I am contracted with them until the end of June for so many hours. The contract is an at-will contract so it can be broken at any time however they pay me GOOD money for the area that I live in and if I were to find another position it would likely cut my salary in half or more.
Second issue, I'm excepting my second child so I would be job hunting pregnant. I know that they can't discriminate against me because I'm pregnant but wonder how much that would influence a employer in the hiring process.
I would want to stay on until the end of my contract making me 8 months pregnant when I would start a new position.
I'm afraid that currently my husband does not make enough to support me and two children for me just to stay at home. He is also looking for a better position to actually relocate us to a different state more centrally located between our aging parents.
I had thought to wait until he found a position then look for a job in that area but I'm worried about looking for a job without a current job.
Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated...(thanks for hanging in there to the end).

Married to DH G 4.28.09 cloth-diapering, bf'ding WAHM of DS W 12.05.11 and our new addition DD J 7.26.13
KdEMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Advice needed....(long)

This is a tough spot. IMO the pregnancy thing works for and against you. For you because I would guess it is unlikely they will let you go before your contract is up. Against you because there are still folks out there who discriminate against the preganant, whether consciously or subconsciously.

If it were me, I would stick out the job you have and start looking closer to when the contract is up. But have your resume, references, etc. ready to go now...just in case.

Good luck
ISO: FCOL boy shirts and MM Woodland Tale yarn
BESMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Advice needed....(long)

I think I'd have my resume ready, use this time to take any classes, get any certifications, and beef us your skills, if you possibly can. Start researching companies in the area that might have jobs you could do. If possible start networking.

Then, I'd start looking during maternity leave. But do as much ground work as you can ahead of time. You wouldn't be looking for a job while pregnant, you would be strategically preparing to job hunt after you give birth.

Good luck!!
Sarai, RN, non-profit volunteer, cloth diaper ministry, Married for 20 years, mama to 2 kids on Earth, and 2 little girls in Heaven, G., T., K. and J.
Sarai* is offline   Reply With Quote