Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2013, 04:33 AM   #1
Lostand
Registered Users
seller

At a loss

I am sitting here in tears so ready to give up. Idk why my son won't nurse properly, but he seems incapable of it. He is 4 months old and of this entire time I have only had about 2 weeks of it be relatively pain free. Dec 3 we Had hit tongue tie clipped and about 2 weeks after that I went 2 weeks with practically not feeling a thing when he ate. Then since the new year he would hurt me about every other day. Now I am in so much pain again. At first it was just biting down with his gums or clamping down on my nipple with his tongue towards the end of every feeding so I would just end the feeding. Now he is doing it all. The. Time. Between each suck he is clamping down with his tongue on my nipple. At least that's what it feels like his tongue is feeling like sand paper and my nipple is getting so damaged and smashed. There is no compression stripe though. Idk what to do and I idk what he is doing wrong! I mean his latch looks great. There is barely any areola showing at all. Sometimes he pulls back to get a more shallow latch so I just relatch him. Sometimes his top lip is pulled in and I feel like he is doing more chewing than sucking. How do I fix something when I can't tell what the issue is?! I don't even nurse on my right side at all because he would damage that side so bad it wasn't worth continuing to try. So he has been exclusively fed from my left side for a month now. My right side still isn't completely healed from that yet. I am just now getting over 3 days of TERRIBLE mastitis in my right side resulting From trying to cut down the number of pumping sessions I do on that side. It's just been such a painful and consuming thing since the day he was born. I am so tired of hurting. And I know it's so selfish, but I am almost ready to throw in the towel. I'm tired of paying $30 every time I need to see the lc. The lll only meets once a month in my area and it just passed. We payed $150 for his tongue clip. I go through nipple cream and breast pads like crazy. At this point formula would even be cheaper for us!!! This is really rant but I needed to get this out and I guess I'm looking for advice. 4 months of practically straight pain is a lot...I'm tired.

Advertisement

Lostand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:53 AM   #2
Foxsma
Registered Users
seller

Re: At a loss

I totally understand. I had so much trouble BF but mine was due to PCOS and diabetes so not producing enough milk, and my son having a bad latch. I have a great LC too and been on med after med to no avail. He would get frustrated at my slow flow and scream and not latch. I was getting blistered and cracked from his doing a non nutritive latch. So unbelievably painful.

I do exclusive pumping now. Well, i still nurse him but because of all the problems I know he doesn't get much but I nurse him to soothe him and bond. His latch improved due to a few things but I still don't produce enough. My LC told me nursing is not just about the milk supply, it's about so many other things. This saved my sanity and my life!

When I would ge blistered my LC suggested not nursing him until it healed to go ahead and just pump. Have you tried that? If he's doing that non nutritive latch that HURTS like crazy if you do it constantly. With just pumping for awhile he's still gettin your milk, which is most important, and you get some time to heal AND build your sanity again and then try nursing again. Made a huge difference for me I feel your pain!

I also noticed the nipple cream when used before I pumped actually made it worse. I finally rented a symphony pump and turned down the suction and I healed wonderfully. No more cream at all needed. No more pain. I found when it did hurt the ice packs or the silicone pads (which my LC said you can use as long as they aren't shriveled and they are clean) worked best.

Hang in there! I know it's hard and you feel like you're going to lose your mind! You just need a break to heal and try again!
Foxsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
Foxsma
Registered Users
seller

Re: At a loss

Oops posted reply twice sorry!
Foxsma is offline   Reply With Quote