Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How did you decide?

do what is right for you

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #12
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

I stopped pumping at work with DD at 9 months. She night nursed until 12 mos and then started sleeping all night, so we gave it up.

DS is 2 months old and I plan to do the same. Though this time, I hope to have enough in the freezer stash or pump a bit longer so he can get breast milk during the day until 12 mos.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
vmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I nursed my 3 year old micropreemie, just over 2 years. She had major feeding issues with solids and I was very concerned about her nutrition. My 8 month was EBF for the first 6 months until she started solids. She has since loved to eat more than she likes to nurse. She is an incredible eater, and I hope she weans at a year.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #14
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Go with your instincts.
There is no reason to do it at an arbitrary age.

When I had my first I planned on nursing 6 mos and weaning to formula and a bottle.

6 mos came and went and neither of us were ready.
At a year she still seemed so little and dependent on nursing. Same at 18 mos. We didn't nurse outside the house past 15-16 mos though.

She ended up nursing till a month past her 4 th birthday when I gently pushed weaning.

Nursing I found is an amazing reset button for the frustrations of toddlerhood.
mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:24 AM   #15
momEmac
Registered Users

My Mood:
Thanks for all the feedback, ladies! It helps to hear what you all have done! I guess I just wanted to see if my decision making process was reasonable.

My iDevices are out to get me. Please excuse mistakes.

buildingmyhealth.my90forlife.com/
momEmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:47 AM   #16
Connor
Registered Users
seller

I decided that I wanted to let my DS lead the way. I want him to have the closeness, comfort, and nourishment as long as he needs it. It just seems so right to me to let it happen in such a natural way. I'm also super crazy about all the benefits bf has to offer so I'm not one to encourage weaning. My DS is 3y3m for reference.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:49 AM   #17
an_aurora
Registered Users

I just nursed until I didn't want to do it anymore. For us, that was 11 months, 22 months, and 15 months.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:35 AM   #18
Btolleson
Registered Users

Awesome job on making it this far!! You should feel very proud! With that said, we will not wean until he is ready. He's 14 months now and still nurses very frequently and uses nursing for not only food but for comfort as well. I love it! When other toddlers are throwing tantrums mine is contentedly nursing. It's no wonder they call it the "tantrum tamer". I think I would follow your instincts and keep nursing. I know you're not too keen on nursing past two, but maybe once you arrive at that age you'll think differently. I'd say research the benefits of extended nursing/ child-led-weaning and just educate yourself. I know some people find it strange to still nurse a toddler but in the end you have to do what's right for your child, NOT society. You've already done an outstanding job, keep up the awesome work!
Btolleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #19
aries416
Registered Users
seller

I nursed my first until 4 years 3 months. She was down to nursing once a day and I was done. It wasn't a big deal. I tried unsuccessfully to wean her earlier, but this was when she was ready. My 26 month old is still nursing. I tandem nursed for 2 years! He is not anywhere close to stopping. I plan on ttc soon and would like him weaned before baby is born. I won't force it though.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #20
cuddlebunny_24
Registered Users

I let the baby decide how long he wanted to nurse, that in combination of how often he nursed. My oldest weaned early and my youngest was over a year old when he completely weaned. We will see how long the new little guy will nurse.
cuddlebunny_24 is offline   Reply With Quote