Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Tamiflu, WWYD?

Would you take it during pregnancy if you were developing flu symptoms? Would you take it preemptively before any symptoms occurred?

DH and DD have the flu, and I think DS is coming down with it now. I'm OK so far, but who knows? I'm almost 9 weeks pregnant. Would you feel comfortable taking Tamiflu if you were me?

Advertisement

sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
agardenfull
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tamiflu, WWYD?

No. I would not be comfortable taking this, ever. My
http://www.gene.com/patients/medicines/tamiflu
agardenfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
Ainmemphis
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had this debate back when the h1n1 was going around some people I worked with got it and I freaked out that I would get it too and I was pregnant. Dr gave me tamiflu but I talked myself out of taking it. I just couldn't do it personally. Its a hard decision. But I may be more cautious than some I am now pregnant with a severe cough and can't bring myself to take Robitussin even though dr said it was ok. I'm sipping on my honey instead.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Nope. The flu this year isn't showing a fever as a main symptom. I would be afraid of the effects of the drug at this point in your pregnancy.

I didn't know what the flu looked like this year and with all the news about the flu in the last few days I figured out that I probably had the flu last week. I monitored my temperature every 4 hours (if not more) and if it got over 101 I would have taken tylenol as has been tested WAY more then Tamiflu. Thankfully I never got over that or even over 100.3 for more then 10 minutes. I am 11 weeks today.

Now I am not one to shy away from medication. I am always taking things and right now I am feeling dizzy from Prometrium so I take medication. I just don't take ANY chances when pregnant.

My
Old 01-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I probably wouldn't. I believe the biggest risks to pregnant women is breathing complications but I think that is later in pg (because of decreased lung capacity due to baby and everything being cramped). Hopefully you will stay healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am on it, but I am a few days from delivery 11-12 so needed to get over things quickly and help protect baby.

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #7
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DH had it and DS tested positive today. I felt sick Tuesday and Wednesday but didn't make any attempt to get Tamiflu. If I get it I will keep hydrated and rest let it run it's course. So to answer your question no.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

no i probably wouldnt at any point during pregnancy, but definitely not in the 1st trimester
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

Absolutely NOT. I had the flu at 8 weeks with my second baby, they prescribed it for me in the ER while I was there getting IV fluids. I asked about pregnancy safety and they said, "oh, I will go look that up" then came back and said it was safe. I said, no thanks, and looked it up when I got home. Absolutely would not put that into my body, especially with a developing baby inside. Sure, it may mean a few more days of flu symptoms but that is small potatoes compared to a dead baby or life-long developmental issues.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
beckis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Fever would be the thing with the flu that would worry me the most, but you can treat a high fever with Tylenol & Advil - I wouldn't feel comfortable taking tamiflu personally, especially that early in the pregnancy.