Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
Registered Users
Breastfeeding on an airplane

I'm about to fly with my 3 month old for the first time and I'm having to do it without my husband. Anyone have any experience doing this? If so, how difficult is it to breastfeed on a plane? And did your baby do okay or cry a lot because of ear pain? Thanks in advance!

KBailey87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Registered Users
We have flown twice with DS, once when he was 4 months and again last week at 9 months. I nursed on the plane both times without a cover and he fell asleep on each leg of the trip. I also pumped and brought bottles just in case I was sitting next to someone I didn't feel comfortable nursing around, but generally speaking others moms and women are very supportive. His ears didn't seem to bother him in the least despite all the warnings I got about that. 3 months is a good time to travel because they aren't mobile yet and wiggling to get down off your lap, instead they like the extra snuggles! The only thing I wasn't prepared for was the noise startled him the first time we flew because we had seats in the back of a larger plane. Flying in the evening works best for us because the lights are dimmed so its easier to coax a nap. Good luck mama!
Wife. Midwife. Mother. Not necessarily in that order depending on the day!
dudleypippen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
Registered Users
Feed upon departure and arrival. The sucking will help keep babys ears open.
Should be ok.
77Lipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
Registered Users
If you can get a window seat it will help you feel less exposed. But I have nursed next to anyone I was sitting next to because that's just what I needed to do and it really helps keep baby quiet and happy. I've never gotten a second look. It will be fine!
Andrea -SAHM to Sean 10-09, Owen 1-13, and married to my best friend!
Ainmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Breastfeeding on an airplane

Believe me... nobody will care if you are breastfeeding... They will just be glad the kid is not crying and screaming. LOL!
Sahm married to a wonderful man who does the dishes with DS 11/18/02 and DD 7/11/11

My Come Swag with me!
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote