Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

S/O Why do you need a doula if . . .

Why do you need a doula if you've succeeded before in acheiving the birth you want and have a good support system?

I may be missing the completely obvious as I haven't had a doula before (I couldn't find one I was happy with last time but ended up having the birth I wanted without.) I realize that a doula may be helpful if you were having a hospital birth and needed someone other than yourself or your spouse/significant other to advocate for you. But, if these don't apply, why do you need one?

Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: S/O Why do you need a doula if . . .

If you are having a hospital birth, I would suggest one because it's a crap shoot as to who you get for a provider/nurse/medical staff. Homebirth? Only if you need one to help with the older sibling(s) or to take care of you postpartum.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
love2row
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly - you may not. I work as a doula & I'm still on the fence about having one at my upcoming birth. Doulas are great for support, information, etc. If I was delivering in a hospital I'd have one for no other reason than to have someone "professional" there who's going to be with me through the entire birth (shift changes). Also, she can help communicate with the staff and ensure that you get your needs met. I've seen some great reasons to have a doula at a homebirth as well. I attended one as a midwife assistant last weekend and the doula was great with being able to get food, water, towels, take picture, etc. while dad was in the tub with mom. It really freed up dad to experience the birth with his wife and to focus on her needs 100%. He didn't have to keep getting up and leaving for little things.

I think there are advantages to having a doula even if you didn't in prior births (I didn't with DS), but ultimately it needs to be what you want. If the vision of your birth doesn't include a doula, then don't get one. I personally like to have a very small group around me while in labor, and although I love working as a doula, I don't if my birth scene includes one. Although I better figure it out quick as I only have 8 weeks.
Beth - blissfully married to Doug. DS - Liam & Welcoming #2 in March 2013 New SAHM & Labor Doula.

love2row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a doula and didn't have one at either birth. I think that doulas can be especially helpful in the hospital, but if you have someone else there that knows the plan and is supportive, you should be okay.
Also I like to be alone when in labor, so another person is just distracting.

Last edited by songbird516; 01-10-2013 at 07:36 PM.
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Interesting! I have been pondering this, we are having our third and I'm considering a doula this time around (didn't the last two times because I really didn't know any better!!). My DH is not the greatest under pressure, so I really think it would be helpful to have a third party who is not hosptial staff. Now to see if our budget can handle the cost!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:20 AM   #6
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had 3 hospital births, 2 went exactly as planned, and issues with the first had nothing to do with not having a doula there.

While I believe some people can benefit from having one, I do not believe I am one of those people. My husband does a great job of advocating for me and acting as a support person, and I am not a fan of extra people in the room.