Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
B's Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: All Fleeced Out
seller
seller

My Mood:
Need Help with Thrifty GF Diet

Advertisement

Last edited by B's Mommy; 04-19-2013 at 05:34 PM.
B's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:
Special diets can be so spendy.

Last edited by misskira; 01-10-2013 at 10:52 PM.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

Re: Need Help with Thrifty GF Diet

Do you have an akdi or costco nearby? Those should both help with the produce costs. I would also start trying to coupon as much as possible for your frozen veggies and any gf products you can.
happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

Oops meant aldis! Also I know walmart is carrying more gf products, and money saving mom has had lots of recipes lately.
happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:49 PM   #5
B's Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: All Fleeced Out
seller
seller

My Mood:

Last edited by B's Mommy; 04-19-2013 at 05:35 PM.
B's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #6
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

IF you are wanting to be 100% GF in your home there are still lots of snack and other things that you can buy. I just started in December too and the price of GF was crazy compared to other stuff.

Applesauce in a jar is cheap! Buy yogurt in the large container. (Don't buy the individual cups unless you have an awesome coupon!)

Make rice and beans. (left over white rice makes a great breakfast.. just add milk, sugar, cinnamon) Beans and rice are the cheapest food option around! (Buy dry beans. When you soak them add a tbs of baking soda. Then rinse them well before cooking. It takes the "toot" out of them!) Zaterains is gluten free if you don't want to do from scratch.

Chex rice and chex corn cereal is gluten free. Think chex mix! Use them as croutons, crush them for breading on chicken nuggets (baked) or porkchops(baked), a filler in meatloaf. (Coupons all the time in the Sunday paper)

Go Ethnic!
In the asian section of my store they have lots of gluten free stuff. Taste of Thai has little Lemongrass and Chili noodle packs for under 70 cents. (Look like ramen in plastic package like that) The Taste of thai in the "to go" boxes is $2.75ish. The peanut one is really good but I only bought a few for when I need lunch quick. I found GF soy sauce but most everything else sauce wise had wheat. (you have to really read!)
Indian or thai curry dishes can be made gluten free.
Mexican/spanish ...Nachos, tacos, beans, rice, enchiladas, the list goes on and on (you just have to use corn tortillas and not flour!)

Potato! It's gluten free and will stretch any grocery budget. Baked with topping! Think casseroles (made with leftovers?), soups, baked homefries (JoJo's), hashbrowns, scalloped, Au gratin, Mashed, etc.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:53 AM   #7
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Lots of good suggestions here. One I've used a lot is looking at food not in cost per pound or whatever, but cost per calorie. We feel, for instance, that nuts are expensive and cereal is cheap, but when you look at how much nutrition you get from each one, the cereal is super expensive!

Target has a good GF spaghetti, for $2.50. But for the most part I'd avoid a lot of the GF foods.

Keep up the fresh produce as much as you can, of course. But do compare the costs per calorie of fresh, canned, and frozen (but don't count sugar-added canned fruits, that's not the calorie you want).

Avoid low fat and diet foods completely. The point here is to feed your family for the lowest cost, so you want full-fat high-calorie foods in smaller portions.

For good nutrition you really need more protein and fat than you'd expect. WIC makes me bonkers because they offer so little in the way of either one.

Also, I believe you can get WIC vouchers for foods that are for allergies. If it's at all possible for you to afford an appointment with a naturopath (call around, one may have discounted cash rates if you're uninsured) ... they'd be likely to write you something for the WIC office, that you need vouchers for GF foods, without making you pay for testing.

Also check with local food banks, or gleaners organizations, or maybe ask around at farmer's markets and see if you can get a discount on the bruised stuff at the end of the day?
Old 01-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #8
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Add more protien into your snacks so you will feel full for longer?? Try humus dip with bell peppers & other veggies, and Peanut butter or sunbutter with celery, apples ect. It sounds to me like you may just not be getting enough protien.
You may also find gluten free tortillas (my chi-chi's corn tortillas are cheap & gf) you can make a pb&j wrap, or make a big crock pot of pulled pork or carne Assad to eat throughout the week on sandwiches. You can even pair pulled pork with eggs for breakfast (yum!) & freeze leftovers.
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
drabekgirl
Registered Users

I'm not gf but soup for lunch is a viable option. U can do some really yummy vegetable soups or beef, chicken, ham based ones. I do a lot of soups for lunch like chili and vegetable with bean from the ball cookbook.
drabekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
ctj101502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by B's Mommy View Post
We do have an aldi's about 35 miles away...I hate going to that town, because the WM there seems more expensive than the ones in the opposite direction, but it might be worth it if their produce is cheaper...I wish we had a costco - I always hear of their awesome prices...and coupons around here aren't great at all - when I couponed a few years ago, I used to have to order coupons, because this region's newspaper has really low value and half the quantity of coupons in our papers than say, the Kansas City area, but that paper is $3 here, so not even worth it for 1 insert. But I forgot about Aldi's. Are their prices worth it enough to drive the 35 miles to shop at JUST Aldi's? All we'd buy is fruit/veggies, because we just don't buy canned and most boxed foods. And we get WIC for milk, so we wouldn't need to buy that there either. I'm afraid the higher WM prices would eat up any savings we get at Aldi's, so we'd still have to go to the cheaper WM 30 miles in a different direction (but that could be a different day)...Unfortunately, I'm thinking I'm going to have to start going to the store on a weekly or so basis for our fruits/veggies...I went to our tiny local grocery store, and they wanted $9.99 for a 3lb bag of REGULAR apples. That's insane. And the few times I have shelled out the money for their produce, it was horrible and bland. I hate how our store takes advantage of the town with their price gouging...
produced is pricey, start planning that garden out now. be careful w.aldi also, I have found it cheaper but is often at the end of life. this is fine if you live near one , but not it driving far like t you would be. where in the kc area are you? we are about an hour south of kc
Can't forget my 6 lil blessings!!!

Last edited by ctj101502; 01-11-2013 at 08:03 AM.
ctj101502 is offline   Reply With Quote