Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need Help with Thrifty GF Diet

I would also recommend going on regular food companies' websites and finding out what mainstream products are GF. Yogurt, Chex cereal, etc...

And for the dairy issues, it may be temporary. The lactose enzyme is formed at the tip of the villi, which is what is damaged in the gut by the gluten. So if you eat gluten, you become lactose intolerant until you villi heals, even if you're not inherently lactose intolerant. It can take anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months to heal the villi.

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #12
okiemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Rice chex
Corn checks
Corn tortillas for sanwiches
Peanut butter to stretch apples and celery
Beans to stretch meats
Zatarans most are gf will say on front
Fritos and corn chips with salsa
Those boxed chicken taquitos are gf but I don't remember the cost
Old 01-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #13
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

We are GF/DF "Paleo-ish" and have a tight grocery budget. Right now I am managing on $350-$400 a month for our family of 7.

I totally shop around sales and make a monthly meal plan. I try to to one "big" shop at the beginning of the month where I hit up Costco for a few things (things like coconut oil & olive oil whenever I need them) and also the local Mexican market for their meat sales as their prices are super cheap (both are about 20 miles away). I buy a month's worth of meat and put it in the deep freezer. Sometimes they have good produce sales so I buy if it is a good deal. I got like 60 key limes for $2 (I use them to marinade chicken for my salads). I do the rest of my shopping at the grocery store in town and go every weekend to stock up on produce and such.

Breakfast is usually eggs with ham/bacon/sausage & a banana.
Snacks are things like carrots/celery with hummus (made homemade), GF tortilla chips with homemade salsa, cauliflower with lemon juice, apple slices with PB, bananas, handful of almonds, etc...
Lunch for me is always a salad using the spring mix from Costco, grilled chicken (I marinade and then grill a huge batch at the beginning of the week), avocado, shredded carrots, green or red onion, and a homemade vinaigrette of some kind (lemon or sesame ginger).
Dinner are things like paleo tacos (ground beef, salsa, avocado, and iceberg lettuce as the shell), whole chicken with veggies, chicken soup, tilapia w/ quinoa and veggies, shrimp and rice bowls, pork roast with veggies, adobo chicken w/ rice and veggies, "Italian" chicken (chicken breast sauteed in olive oil with Italian seasoning) and herbed spaghetti squash, oven-fried chicken (using ground almonds as the flour) and rice and veggies, etc...
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
babynme8
Registered Users
seller
seller

You also can add match Aldi's prices at Wal-Mart. I have ad-matched to stores that are up to 60 miles away without any problem. You also don't have to have the other store's flyer. I just look at them all on-line and make my list. I keep the items that I'm going to ad-match seperate in my cart and then put them on the belt first and tell the cashier everything up until X items will be ad-matched. Last week I got bananas for .29lb, 5lb bag of oranges for $1.99, 16oz. tub of strawberries for $2.00 etc. I love ad matching at Wal-Mart because I have no other stores besides Sav-a-lot and a local IGA. I go to one place and I'm able to get the deals from 3-4 stores that are in the next town or two.
babynme8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #15
B's Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: All Fleeced Out
seller
seller

My Mood:

Last edited by B's Mommy; 04-19-2013 at 05:36 PM.
B's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #16
B's Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: All Fleeced Out
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and I DEFINITELY plan on another garden this year!! I need to check into the homesteading threads, because I feel like I should already be starting my seeds or doing something. The only thing we ever have luck with is our zucchini, and I want to change that this year. We also plan on having indoor herbs in the windows, and maybe a few small plants of some sort so we can start having fresh veggies all year. I really really want onions, potatoes, and carrots, but never have had luck with any of them. Even our bell peppers and tomatoes were horrible this past year, and I got like 20 green beans from my 6 plants. =/ But I had zucchini coming out my ears at least.

We bought chex and stuff, but dh eats so much of it at a time (like 3 servings per bowl, as a snack), that it's costing us $$ we weren't spending before too. We used to just eat the WIC cereal, but none of the options are GF (only store brands are allowed, and even the generic chex aren't gf)...other than that, we don't eat many processed foods - we never have eaten most processed foods like HB Helper and stuff - it's just the bread, WIC cereal, generic Bisquick, and pasta that I guess were cheap "fillers" for a lot of our meals, and now I'm struggling to find a new rhythm. I wish we had the money to eat like we really want to...Some of the prices on fruits/veggies make me wanna cry...but beans...I'll try beans.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #17
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can usually get good coupons for Chex. Also, do you have a grocery store with a good bulk section? We have Winco, which has a ton of bulk stuff, including GF pasta, GF flours, GF granola, etc for way cheaper than buying packaged.

I make all our own bread, and we do eat a lot of sandwiches.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #18
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by B's Mommy
So...I've suspected a wheat sensitivity for a while, and I finally cut out wheat, only a little over 2 weeks now, but I feel a ton better already (though I'm starting to see a dairy pattern of tummy issues too. UGH)...we are wheat free as a household, because for one, it just seems easier instead of me trying to avoid things while everyone else eats it, and for two, it's making dh feel better too (and he didn't even realize he felt "bad" prior to this) but we've spent a lot of money on food these last couple weeks, and we already need to go shopping again. I eat fruit and vegetables all day long, and I've started eating eggs as well. Dinner is usually meat free (like a potato with broccoli and cheese and a salad), and when it's not, it's just a cheap cut of meat (or a chicken) in the crockpot with potatoes or rice, veggie, salad... We eat frozen veggies for meals, but I snack on/eat fresh veggies (salads, green beans, carrots, celery, etc.) during the day...I need help figuring out how we are going to afford to keep eating a diet like this...prior to going wheat free, I'd eat PBJ or cheese sandwiches, cereal, or pasta for lunch, and now that it isn't an option, I just eat vegetables and eggs and stuff...

We are only 2 adults and a toddler, but I nearly overdrew the bank account, because I didn't realize how fast buying all this produce adds up. In the last 2 weeks, we went about 3 times (more than we ever go - it's usually 1-2 times a month.), and spent about $50 each time on just produce and frozen veggies! We haven't bought much GF foods - just a bag of cheap GF pasta to use in my Pasta Favoli soup (and that only uses 1/2 cup), and a GF cake mix that I found at a discount store for dd's B-day next month. And the fridge is almost bare again! The bag of spinach and bag of salad will last probably 1 more meal, we have like 3 apples, 3 oranges, and a spaghetti squash and a couple bananas...all the other stuff is already gone. =( Dd alone will likely eat an apple and an orange or two tomorrow with her meal/for snacks...
I feel you, mama! One of my sons has a dairy allergy, the other is gluten intolerant. We used to use lots of cheap carby fillers too. We used to spend $400 a month for our family of 4, because organic and locally sourced are important to us, so we get those when we can. Keeping the same qualities looks like its going to cost $700+ we ate minimal meat before, but now with no dairy and no breads/pastas, we need to eat a lot more meat, which is a considerable chunk of our increase (we already ate a lot of produce before, thats probably only added $50-$75 per month). I'm nursing, so I need to keep my calories up. I've been keeping track with my fitness pal, and even though I'm getting FULL from meals and eating more than I ever have before, I am only eating about 300 calories with each meal, which leads me to be hungry again an hour or two later, so then I'm eating even MORE produce and meat.

I'm snacking on Greek yogurt (there are non dairy yogurts, and you can make your own yogurt too for cheap, but I've never done it), nuts, peanut butter with apples, homemade tortilla chips (brush corn tortillas with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, cut with pizza cutter or knife, and bake until crispy) with salsa or bean dip or hummus, and other high protein, moderate fat snacks, veggies with hummus. Without the carbs from grains and protein from dairy, you will want to focus on high protein and healthy fats to keep you feeling full. I also feed my boys gf steel cut oats for breakfast, eggs and fruit, or Chex. Chex always have coupons out, and ic and Ron Chex are gf. I just picked up boxes a month or so ago for $1.17 a box by pairing a sale with a coupon.add some spices and nuts for our own Chex mix for a snack.

If you need meal planning help, I'm finding paleo to be the easiest way. I still snack on some dairy and grain, but our dinners are paleo since by definition, paleo is grain and dairy free. It just makes it easier, and healthier than doing substitutes (IMO). I figure we'll spend more these first couple months as we learn which recipes we like, then once we feel like we are not starving all the time and that our food is still tasty, I'll focus on getting the food bill down.
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #19
UmmKira
Registered Users
seller

I skimmed the previous responses, so I don't think this is a repeat, but sorry if it is.

I use Amazon Subscribe and Save to buy GF items in bulk like noodles, break mix, and cookies. The Pamela's Bread Mix turns out to be around $3.35 a loaf, which is still more expensive than regular, but less than other options. Right now the pasta noodles are around 20 cents an ounce. Again, still more expensive, but cheaper than most options. I get corn tortillas for cheap and dh will make a cheese tortilla with salsa and maybe some leftover meat.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my phone using DS Forum... Typos complements of Swype

Come check out my homeschool blog!
UmmKira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #20
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Try addi g sone grains with your meals, millet, quinoa and rice are all gf and good fillers.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote