Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
rachelhf7
Registered Users

Question about yeast

I have been CD my son for more than a year, he's almost 21 months. We've had the occasional diaper rash but not big deal until a few months ago. He had a really bad yeast infection that lasted a long time. We had to switch to sposies to put prescription cream on it. After several days it finally went away. Well, since that happened several months ago, he gets a nasty angry rash with broken skin at least once a month! It won't go away unless we put him back in a sposie and but either Hydrocortisone on it or Boudreaux's Butt Paste. I have washed and stripped my diapers with original blue dawn every time it's happened but it still comes back!
Is it my diapers? Is it my wash routine? I'm at a loss.
I would really appreciate any thoughts or advice you ladies may have!!

Advertisement

rachelhf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
Jcurrie
Registered Users
seller

Did you try grapefruit seed extract? A teaspoon of that in the wash with really hot water is supposed to kill the yeast spores that can stay in the cloth. I've also heard of using tea tree oil and 1/4 cup chlorine bleach in the wash. Bummis has a good blog entry on this, you should be able to find it by googling around (its on their blog).

I'm just battling yeast for the first time though so I don't have any 'tried and true' suggestions for you!
Jcurrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Question about yeast

Blue Dawn is not a disinfectant so he just keeps getting reinfected. They need to be disinfected with whatever is most effective which in my experience is bleach.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcurrie
Did you try grapefruit seed extract? A teaspoon of that in the wash with really hot water is supposed to kill the yeast spores that can stay in the cloth. I've also heard of using tea tree oil and 1/4 cup chlorine bleach in the wash. Bummis has a good blog entry on this, you should be able to find it by googling around (its on their blog).

I'm just battling yeast for the first time though so I don't have any 'tried and true' suggestions for you!
Agree, after you know your diapers are clean use a 1tsp of GSE with really hot water. GSE is the most effective thing on yeast, better than bleach. Helped ours not come back once we started back in cloth after his rash was gone.
momma_dna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
rachelhf7
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie
Blue Dawn is not a disinfectant so he just keeps getting reinfected. They need to be disinfected with whatever is most effective which in my experience is bleach.
OMG! So the yeast is possibly still in there? I wash my son's diapers with my daughter's so is it possible for her diapers to "catch" it too?
Can I bleach pockets? How much should I use if we decide to go that route?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
rachelhf7
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_dna

Agree, after you know your diapers are clean use a 1tsp of GSE with really hot water. GSE is the most effective thing on yeast, better than bleach. Helped ours not come back once we started back in cloth after his rash was gone.
Where can I find Grapefruit Seed Extract?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
Jcurrie
Registered Users
seller

I'm in Canada and ordered mine off of nutraways.ca, but I think health food stores may sell it. I'm just in a small town so options were limited. Make sure it's grapeFRUIT seed extract, grape seed extract is out there too but you don't want that.

I've read of people bleaching their pockets with no problems, but this made me nervous as well. So I've just used gse to start and hopefully that is effective.
Jcurrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
rachelhf7
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcurrie View Post
I'm in Canada and ordered mine off of nutraways.ca, but I think health food stores may sell it. I'm just in a small town so options were limited. Make sure it's grapeFRUIT seed extract, grape seed extract is out there too but you don't want that.

I've read of people bleaching their pockets with no problems, but this made me nervous as well. So I've just used gse to start and hopefully that is effective.

Thank you! I'm glad you emphasized that, I may have gotten the wrong one! I'll start by looking at my health food store.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think you can find GFSE on Amazon as well. For bleach I would use 1/4 - 1/2 cup. Several manufactures actually recommend using bleach on their diapers so it certainly won't harm them as long as you don't soak in it or dump it on the diapers. I have no experience with GFSE as the one time we had yeast I used bleach and that fixed it. Whatever you use you will need to keep treating the diapers each wash until after it appears cleared up.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote