Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
MunkyCrazy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: From anti-vax to pro-vax?

Can any of you who researched and changed your minds PM me some info on where you found the info to change your mind? I still have no clue what I want to do. :/ DS1 is vaxed up to schedule although he was delayed and spaced. Really the only reason I got him up to date was for his preschool requirements. DS2 I honestly have no idea where he's at. He had some although he too was delayed and spaced. He hasn't been to the Dr in probably 1.5 yrs. He goes in March for a checkup and I don't know what I want to do. The baby hasn't had anything yet. I hate never feeling confident in my decision.

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

This is a VERY informative thread. My son is coming up on his 12 month appt. and I know I am going in there with a plan for his future vaccinations, but I am still on the fence. He has been fully vaxed until now, but like the pp he had TERRIBLE reactions to DTAP. I think we are still going to be fully vax, but just delayed. I guess I am the flip of your title!

Also, I have also considered not giving him the flu vaccine. He hasn't had it yet and is the only one of his "peers" (haha) in play group that has not had it. I got it and my husband got it and we thought that was enough. Then I saw a mother today that wouldn't let her 14 month old out of the stroller at an indoor playground because she was not vaccinated. I know that is extreme, but it made me think? Should I just do it for peace of mind?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #13
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was never anti-vax but I was more nervous and skeptical of them when I started my parenting journey then I am. I was selective and very slow with vacciness but I am now in the process of catching my kids up on shots. There was a time when getting shots made me nervous but not any more. Some of the claims from the anti vax side I roll my eyes at now especially from certain sources like Mercola or Natural Earth News. I still would go a little slower than the current schedule but I do eventually get them all and get them on a regular basis now. In the past I got the ones I felt were most important and held off on the others and had a really slow schedule. I especially thought I was not going to do varicella but I changed my mind about that too.

Science based medicine isn't the best website out there and is biased but it is a good look at the other side of the issue on the interwebs. I actually find that site a breath of fresh air.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 01-11-2013 at 03:15 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:37 AM   #14
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

I initially wasn't going to do any vaxing because there are a lot of compelling arguments and stories. But I think in reality I saw it as an "I only get one shot at this" kind of thing and waited until I had done more research and felt confident deciding whether to vax or not. Because you can't unvax your kid, I wanted to feel sure I was making the right decision.

In the end we decided to do a delayed schedule that spaces everything out.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:47 AM   #15
Hopper Graphics
Registered Users
Formerly:PurlyQ
seller
seller

My Mood:

I should say that I have never been "anti-vax". We delayed DD1 until she was 3, and then gave only a few.

DD2 (22 months) hasn't had any yet, but we are currently waiting to have her tested at Children's for a few disorders/issues. A compromised immune system would definitely change my mind on certain vaccines.We're not making any hard/fast decisions yet, but the results could potentially sway us towards more vaccinations for both girls.

Last edited by Hopper Graphics; 01-12-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Hopper Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:53 AM   #16
MyLovely
Registered Users

Me! I was very opposed to any and all vaccines. I always accepted that they didn't contribute to autism, but was worried about reactions and was convinced that a strong immune system would combat anything.

What changed my mind? Becoming more involved in the scientific community. Understanding how to read peer-reviewed studies to see what they were really saying. I also took a good, hard look and realized that just because something is "unnatural" doesn't mean it's bad. Plumbing, allergy medicine and cell phones are unnatural but they make my life a heck of a lot easier. Oh, and realizing that a strong immune system doesn't mean anything in terms of disease prevention. If you've never been exposed to measles, you have no immunity and you're going to get sick. Even though most VPDs are survivable in the US, the risks of the VPD are higher than the risk of vaccines as long as the person getting vaxed isn't allergic to ingredients.

I did feel very misled by the anti-vaccine community. I do believe that they believe what they're saying, but once you take a step back it is easier to see the holes. My biggest wake-up was that I saw, over and over again, how "many countries" have delayed schedules or more selective schedules. I was curious as to which countries these were, but was never answered, so I looked up the official schedules for every western country. Surprise, they're virtually identical to ours, some even having more vaccines.

I'm generally very skeptical of the "everyone is doing it" argument, but on such a large scale in a field (science) that is objective, it's worth considering. If the overwhelming majority of doctors and researchers are in complete agreement about the safety of vaccines, and there is a bounty of credible research to prove it, I'm going to look closer.

I also find it wise to be skeptical of what those opposing vaccines say. If they say "the MMR contains X ingredient!", the natural response is to say "oh god, no way!" Why though? For instance, penicillin is derived from mold and none of us are going to freak out if we're really sick and need it. Just because something sounds shocking and gross doesn't mean that it necessarily is.

Another thing is to look past the anecdotal stories. They are sad, but for every one of them, there are countless (hundreds of thousands, if not millions) kids who are absolutely fine. I also have found that many of the stories can't be linked back to the vaccine. If someone has a seizure six months after a gardasil vaccine, can we honestly pin the blame on it? I'm not saying to necessarily try to call these people out, just read with a hefty dose of skepticism.

Sources...

Time Magazine

CDC FAQs

World Health Organization
Old 01-12-2013, 01:44 AM   #17
an_aurora
Registered Users

I found MDC when my oldest was a baby, and stopped vaxes at 4 months. DD2 didn't get any. Then I started taking pre-reqs for nursing school, which were heavy on the sciences, and I started doing more research and realizing that the anti-vax argument didn't hold much water. We started the CDC catch-up schedule with my oldest when she turned 5, and she's 7 and caught up now. We started DD2 when she turned 5 as well. DS is 3.5 and has had two shots, but we are still selectively vaccinating him since he's got some neuro issues and we're being cautious.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #18
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

What a great thread!
Old 01-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #19
lotemp
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Great thread. Glad I'm not the only one that wavers on what to do. We are a slow vax family that had to speed up because of moving to South America in a month. If I had to do it over again, I would have had a better plan laid out AND written out my reasons why. With 4 little ones, it is easy to get confused and I lost track of what I wanted to do. In the end it didn't matter because we had to play quick catch up. Originally I started slowing down (stopping really) because of my son's bad reason to pertussis vaccine. High fever 107 (really) that was truly scary. We're all good now and do it all except chicken pox and flu.

lotemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #20
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I am anti flu shot. As for the rest of the vaxes I just don't know what to think. What research I have done leaves me feeling there really doesn't seem to be any really reliable info out there. I was given and read the same info WIC workers get. They lost me when I read the ones on chicken pox. Although I know it can be deadly for some so too can the common cold for those with compromised immune systems. The info they had made chicken pox sound as bad as the plague.

My older son did get whooping cough at 3-5 months of age. It lasted forever and was much scarier than the chicken pox.

We do delayed vax with full catch up completed by kindergarten but only because Illinois only allows religious or medical exemptions. Since we don't qualify for either of those we do get them but avoid some by delaying them as long as possible.