Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Paying bills

So for the last few years, i have been dividing bills in half and using each paycheck to pay - ex: for an $80 bill, I would take $40 from each pay and pay it. Problem is that the money is kept in our checking and Andrew easily forgets and can overspend. I don't want to have to pull money then redeposit it.
Do you pay bills like I do or differently?

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: Paying bills

We do that for a few bills. But I take the money out in cash and put it in an envelope. Then I pay the bill in cash if i can ( and a surprisingly large number of bills can be paid in cash in person). If I can't, usually just because the payment location s too far away, I deposit the money back to the checking account before I Pay it. My bank is less than half a mile from my house though.

Also, if this is something like the electric bill, you could probably just make a partial payment on line each week. I do that with my trash pick up payments.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just linked our savings to our online banking and move the money to savings until that bill is due. We are bad about overspending too if we see cash in the account. I works our really well for us because all I have to do is go and transfer it back right before I pay it.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
themaelane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What about creating an account with just his spending amount? As in, instead of pulling out the money for the bills, just transfer over what he can spend. When that account hits his minimum, he's cut off (or at a $100 cushion, or whatever). Its still transferring though, maybe someone else has a better idea.

I got tired of my husband spending too much and we use a credit card and pay it off monthly. But that doesn't curb the overspending, as I know all too well. But at least it stopped the overdrawing which happened twice and made me SO mad. (Even though its usually just food and gas he buys, I loose track. I make the list but don't account for how much things always are, and its taken years for me to accept the price of gas - I don't drive.)
ISO: NB covers/fitteds, flats, wool, 'big sister' stuff for a 4YO girl.
themaelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
themaelane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Also, if this is something like the electric bill, you could probably just make a partial payment on line each week. I do that with my trash pick up payments.
Good point - a lot of bills you can just pay twice in a month. Set up the auto-debits that way and its no issue with them.
ISO: NB covers/fitteds, flats, wool, 'big sister' stuff for a 4YO girl.
themaelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
nzmum
Registered Users

My Mood:

we have 3 bank accounts of our main account. I xfer money into one I call bills & then pay bills from that or leave the money in there for the ones that are on auto payments.

We get paid fortnightly so I split the bills & put half in one pay & half the next.

When DH & I want money we take it out of the everyday account so that does not affect the other 3 accounts which are bills & kids & savings.
nzmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Nickel+3
Registered Users
Formerly: nickel+2
seller

My Mood:
I prepay bills. No matter when they're due I pay the beginning of the month. We only get paid once a month though.
#4 due in October!
Nickel+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:

We have a "main account"....all money and bills go to that account. We each withdraw to our own seperate accounts, a specific amount for blow money and gas money. My dh overspends too so he does not carry the debit forthe main account.....just his account. Once its gone, thats it hes cut off til next payday.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Online banking. I pay as get and group together.....
Old 01-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If taking the money out then putting it back in when its due is the only way to keep your DH from spending it, then that's what i would do. It stinks - but not having the money to pay yours bills is worse.