Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #21
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany89
So for the last few years, i have been dividing bills in half and using each paycheck to pay - ex: for an $80 bill, I would take $40 from each pay and pay it. Problem is that the money is kept in our checking and Andrew easily forgets and can overspend. I don't want to have to pull money then redeposit it.
Do you pay bills like I do or differently?
DH gets paid twice a month. I pay rent on the 1st, and sometimes part of the utilities. Then on the 15th, I pay all other bills, regardless of due date (this is because it adds up to about te same as rent, so it makes each 1/2 of the month about equal). I don't wait until the due date, I will either spend money or forget to pay it. I used to have accounts on auto pay, but it was difficult for me to remember how much money we ACTUALLY had. I do this first thing in the morning on payday, usually while the kids are eating breakfast. Then I stop by the bank if needed (like to pull out rent). I go grocery shopping. Then, and only then, do I spend any other money.

We got off track, but starting he 15th I will be back to my old method, on paydays I will also be throwing as much as I can at each credit card after grocery shopping.

Before DH joined the military and we were both working getting paid every other week, I paid bills on payday as well. If I don't spend the money on necessities first, I will inevitably nickel and dime it and have nothing but a late fee or overdraw charge to show for it. I paid whatever was due before the next check, plus as much as I could towards the next check's bills.

Advertisement

~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #22
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I never thought of paying bills twice.. Well cable we can't because our cable company doesn't take online payments but the rest can.. I don't do online payments I'm old school and love checks.. But that might help.. We always can pay bills just sometimes it's some moving around of money lol. Idk why I didn't think of that!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #23
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm at how so many of you can pay all the bills with one paycheck. I'm jealous!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #24
Ducko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Paying bills

When we were on a every two week pay period we just tried to make everything from the first check cover set bills and then the second check flexible bills. So really I would only get "grocery" money on the second paycheck and have to make the work for 4 weeks. It worked well since most bills are monthly. So mortgage, cable, phone etc same amount each month from first paycheck. Gas, groceries, utilities second paycheck.

Wife to Eric. SAHM to Gray (6/08) and Seth (4/10)

Last edited by Ducko; 01-11-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Ducko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #25
Ecomoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@hmommy View Post
I just linked our savings to our online banking and move the money to savings until that bill is due. We are bad about overspending too if we see cash in the account. I works our really well for us because all I have to do is go and transfer it back right before I pay it.
That is a good idea but I recommend anyone else that wants to do that check there bank policies. I know ours only allows us to withdraw from savings 6 times quarterly. Silly I know, but once we tried that I got a little warning in the mail that if it happened again it would no longer be a savings account.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #26
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@hmommy View Post
I just linked our savings to our online banking and move the money to savings until that bill is due. We are bad about overspending too if we see cash in the account. I works our really well for us because all I have to do is go and transfer it back right before I pay it.
U need to check your bank. There is a federal policy (not law) that states ppl are only supposed to electronically from a savings acct 6 or less times a month.

Some banks enforce it and even shut down accts
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #27
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

some bills get paid with the first check and some bills get paid with the other. i work and the money is DD into my account. i pay utilities and internet and keep about $20 then pull the rest out for DH to put in his account and with that he pays student loans, mortgage and credit card. we have a few bills that are auto pay on our credit card. we've never had overdraft issues but we use the CC for everything just about
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #28
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dh doesnt spend any money lol he's weird
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #29
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

I pay the bills that are due between the 1-14 on the 30 (or 31). Or I have them on auto withdrawal. I then pay the bills due on the 15-31 on the 15th or have auto withdrawel. I only use the bill acct for bills. I.put enough plus $50 (for anything I.might forget in to pay all the bills.for that payperiod. I then take the rest of the $ out and put it in envelopes or other accts depending on what it is.

We did this because we would forget a bill and overspend. Now that we dont touch the bill acct.for any reason except.for those bills it has been great. We do gas and other things out of our "spending" acct which is a separate checking.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #30
mmeneely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Remind him that his overspending is affecting his FAMILY and give him an allowance.
It will definitely hurt his pride but so should his irresponsibility. NAND how dare he do that to his family. Call your utility companies and ask them to set up your account so the bill is the same amount every month. There will be months you use less or more but it will balance out and then as soon as his cheque comes out - bills get paid by you online, 1/3 of what is left goes to saving, 1/3 to kiddie education and the other 1/3 is split by the two of you for spending. Not enough left over? Sent him back to work for overtime so he has no time to do this to you again.
Have you told him to take it all back for a refund and dropped him off at gas or hydro to fix his wrong-doing?
mmeneely is offline   Reply With Quote