Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
Praises2Jesus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ecological Breastfeeding as Family Planning

Hi just wanted some feedback from any moms that have already been successful at using ecological breastfeeding?

also, how to handle the interactions with women in the family when baby is fussy or in need and explaining that I will be using the breast for comfort ( when everyone will want to "give me a break"..)

Advertisement

Praises2Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
jenniferaj072806
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ecological Breastfeeding as Family Planning

Cant help with the first part. I do use breast for comfort as well but I never used it for that specific purpose (TTA). However I also did not get pregnant lol

On the topic about family. I would just say something simple like "Thanks but he/she just wants some boob .. or just wants to nurse a little."

"Thanks but it's nothing a little boob won't fix."

jenniferaj072806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

I've been doing the Ecological Breastfeeding thing for the last 6 months (which is when it's most effective). My LO is still EBF, but after 6 months the effectiveness drops from 98% to 94% or so, so I'm also monitoring my cervical fluid and BBT again. So far, so good. :-) I successfully avoided getting pregnant with charting for a while before we decided to stop avoiding (we were NTNP for about 6 months before I got pregnant). I'm hoping the lactational amenorrhea continues for a while, but am monitoring my fertility signs because the longer you go without your cycles returning, the more likely you are to ovulate before you bleed again (thus increasing the chances of pregnancy without ever having a period).
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Kimberly137
Registered Users

Arrow Re: Ecological Breastfeeding as Family Planning

I have used Ecological Breastfeeding and have successfully spaced all 3 of my boys a good 2 years apart. I get a return of menses around 17-18 mos. p.p., probably because I tend to night-wean around that time. I LOVE EB. Going without a return of menses for that long, and not having to chart, is awesome!

I made a video to promote EB and it has some book recommendations.
I am not allowed to post a link here for some reason- it says I have to have written 10 or more posts, and this is my first one. If you would like to find the video, it's on Youtube. It's called "Use Ecological Breastfeeding to Space Babies" by Kimberly Basile.

Sheila Kippley is the author of these books and she answers every question you could possibly come up with. They're affordable and well written. I would definitely suggest you look into them if you are serious about using EB. Best of luck!
Kimberly137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
Kimberly137
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnjess View Post
I'm hoping the lactational amenorrhea continues for a while, but am monitoring my fertility signs because the longer you go without your cycles returning, the more likely you are to ovulate before you bleed again (thus increasing the chances of pregnancy without ever having a period).
True, but it's still very unlikely. I think it was only some 6% of women that this ever happens to. Just so you know! I understand why you might want to chart anyhow, but maybe it will take a little tension off.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
Kimberly137
Registered Users

Also, there is a group for EB on facebook, if you're on that. It's called Catholic Nursing Mothers League. Really nice women with tons of interesting conversations.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly137 View Post
True, but it's still very unlikely. I think it was only some 6% of women that this ever happens to. Just so you know! I understand why you might want to chart anyhow, but maybe it will take a little tension off.
Yes, I did know that the odds are still pretty low. So I'm not being as particular about charting as I would if I weren't nursing still. I'm taking my temp and recording it, but I'm doing that more because I'm also working on raising my metabolism (BBT is also a good indicator of that), so I'm just keeping track on my charting app. I also just notice cervical fluid anyway because I'm used to it. So, I'm being casually observant because the Ecological Breasfeeding is what I'm mostly relying on. This is my first time, though, so it makes me feel better to also observe the fertility signs. :-)
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I ovulated before the return of af at 5 months pp (I had ewcm and a + opk). I met all the criteria of ecolgical bfing except daily naps. It was a nervous tww before af came!
Old 01-10-2013, 02:52 AM   #9
Btolleson
Registered Users

14 months of using the LAMS method (or EB) and going strong! The best way to combat someone telling you that you need a "break" is to baby-wear! I figured out that nobody messes with you if you have a baby in a sling. There's something magical about babywearing, nobody bothers you..especially if you're nursing in the sling! If he starts to fuss when someone is holding him then take him from them and comfort baby. Sure, they might be upset, but oh well. Parent the way your child needs you to parent and worry about feelings later. I used to be in your same boat, I'm now known as the "mommy who doesn't like sharing her child" in my family because of it. But I personally would rather meet my child's needs with my breasts than let them give him a pacifier because they wanted to "be involved" or "give me a break".
Btolleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #10
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

There's some info on above rubies about this. I find that breastfeeding on demand typically leaves me without a period until we start solids, which we push off until at least 10 months, sometimes 12. By then I am ready to start trying for another baby anyway