Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
twogirlsmama
Registered Users
seller

WWYD? Ruined diapers.

I loaned 18 BG smalls to a friend who wanted to try cloth before she invested a ton. They were worn by DD3 for about 2 months and were still in EXCELLENT condition. Gave explicit written instructions on how to wash, dry, care for, etc. I got them back today--they look awful. Velcro full of junk, curled, landing strip and squares pilly. Thankfully, no stains, so I should be able to sell them to someone who can replace velcro, but I am so frustrated! Should I say something? I was counting on selling them to buy some new dipes for DD3.

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: WWYD? Ruined diapers.

Do you have a HE machine and she has a top loader? I ask because I washed my BG XS AIOs in a top loader and they looked horrible after a month. I've seen people who say they used them much longer and they looked brand new to me. I wondered if this is the issue.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Id be upset but I guess how I reacted would depend on what the "loan" conditions were. When you gave them to her did you tell her to use them to TRY or did you tell her she could just hang on to them. BG aio had the old 3.0 style aplix right? It wears out faster than the 4.0 for sure. I have both here...I got some bg 3.0 that were brand new from cottonbabies in a clearance/seconds sale. I have 4.0s that are older that look better. The aplix curls quick. Anyway, not trying to poo-poo your situation. It sucks but she mightve misunderstood since you loaned her 18 instead of just a couple maybe she thought she could just go ahead and use them as hers.

Sorry mama
Old 01-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
shan1212
Registered Users
seller

I would definitely be annoyed, but I don't think I would do anything except make a mental note not to lend her any more diapers unless we had the kind of friendship where I knew I could say, "Hey, these diapers are going to sell for $75 less than I was expecting to get now that the velcro is ruined . . . " and she would offer to reimburse me without it affecting our friendship.

I think it's a good rule of thumb to expect items to be lost or to go down in value if you loan them out. That way you protect yourself from this type of situation. My friend with super stained diapers kept mentioning how she would like to borrow my NB stash, and i just gifted her 20 of them and sold her 10 more. I knew that if I got a bunch of gross, stained diapers back, I would be super annoyed.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

How long did she use them? BG aplix always went to heck pretty quickly for me, and that was back when I washed my diapers gently.

What kind of resolution do you want from the situation?

It's a bummer, that's for sure.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
supermomof2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bummer, mama! Sorry that happened!

In a lot of cases like this, saying something usually winds up causing some level of ickiness in the friendship, so personally I'd probably not say anything if I at all cared for her as a friend, but that's just my opinion. This is why I usually just gift a few diapers to friends instead of loaning them out...
Old 01-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

all of my aio with the older velcro looked like that after a short time of use.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrc View Post
all of my aio with the older velcro looked like that after a short time of use.
Me too!

If she is not the type of friend who uses people (or you!) then I am sure she did not do it intentionally. Think of it as a gift to her... If she does you people/or you then I would just find a new friend.
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes with the old velcro that would have happened eventually anyway. I personally don't lend stuff out because I am particular about my diapers. I just give it to them without an expectation of it being returned. I really don't think it's a problem. The pills and junk in the velcro can be removed. A snappi works well to clean it out. The curls well that's not her fault though.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
Chasing Zen
Registered Users
Formerly: ccsmom11
seller

My Mood:

You can clean out the velcro with a needle (takes some time) and use one of those electric pill removers on the pilly side...no help for the curling but they'll look a lot better